Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Docs

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I am still trying to compile a PDF version. Right now, it's going to weigh in as about as heavy as the LightWave installer itself
    B
    I’m not sure if you have access to Adobe Acrobat Pro (DC)?
    “save as -> reduce size” can work miracles. It can output small files with surprisingly good quality.

Also, you can customise parameters even more and use export -> optimised, but I would give automatic “reduce size” a priority, as it can be very effective.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    No, we're not here for that. I went OT, but at least it was still about docs. This is not a conversation we're going to have here. there are plenty of other places where people have mentioned their favorite alternatives or companion apps.
    I should clarify that I was referring to Lightwave, the Norwegian Blue.

Directed to Sbowie's question, otherwise TL ; DR.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    However, with the way EPUB and various "rich" doc formats are evolving, I do believe there's something to be said for separating "docs"/"reference" proper (then use EPUB or equiv with easy offline-variant options) for them, and "tutorial/educational content" like video tutorials and similar more online-focused materials, and putting those into a more PixelFondue/PushingPoints-style online library/presentation site format.
    Actually, reflected on that a bit overnight, and I believe something like Cineversity (offering both "tutorial playlists", and additional "epic" aggregations) is one of the better examples of how to handle online educational content other than explicit docs/reference content. There's nothing that special about their platform, but the combination of (potentially nested) aggregations of video sequences, and tag-based searching/catalog-mgmt. work out well for customers whether looking for "general introductions" or seeking info on specific workflows or features at an intermediate or advanced level. Again, it doesn't need to be overly complex or fancy in presentation, but having strong filtering/searching as well as strong curation of content into both "lesson plans" and broader "learning tracks" works out well (at least, IMO).

I'm also a big fan of how sites like RealPython.com (membership required for full access) ensure there's essentially both text-based and video-based coverage for educational content. I recognize that won't always work as well for 3D tutorial material, but I definitely find having the option to "read" the guidance can be clearer and faster for some, versus watching and listening to the same content (and I fall into the former group, generally). Their platform is another good example of presenting extensive educational content, as well, but my main point in mentioning them was their deliberate provision of both "read" and "watched/heard" versions of similar content.

Steve, without a specific understanding of what kind of scenario you're considering, it's obviously a bit difficult to "tune" for the types and levels of content that might need to be covered. For a complex product, such a one with one or more hardware components as well as a software suite, I think relying solely on online, semi-interactive documentation is probably a bad idea, for the simple reason that internet access in "install"/"recovery"/"crisis" situations is historically among the most-likely impacted systems anyway. Network has too many dependencies, and esp. for complex hardware install, you can predict that network requirement analysis and planning will actually be among the tasks needed, thus presuming network availability is unsafe.

Again, just my $0.02, but having been in similar situations many, many times, and found online docs inaccessible, I find having local, always-available set of docs/reference info invaluable. The last thing you want to do when on your back in a server rack or such is have to futz around with a web browser to access critical docs -- gimme an ebook or PDF in a tablet, or even better, just a bunch of printed-out pages, any day. Hope that helps somewhat, if you can provide a bit more notion of context, I can likely give more focused recommendations / cite better reference examples.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-12-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

From what I can tell, Newtek is using Confluence from Atlassian as the backend for the docs site. Why isn't someone there using the "export to pdf" or "export to html" built into Confluence for this? This is a standard feature of the system. The HTML (or xml if you so wish it) exports even include the attachments and images. That can then be included with the installer or as a separate download under our accounts.

The live site can be the "live docs" where changes, updates, addenda, etc... can be found but at least the major release docs are in hand, offline and available even when the online docs go down.

Or am I missing something somewhere in all this.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just for clarity, I wasn't referring particularly to the LW docs, but more generically ...
    I build server farms ranging in size from a few servers to a few thousand servers for a living and have abosolutely zero trust in anything online where critical information is concerned. Redundancy redundancy reduncancy. Online, live documentation that is updated early, often and constatnly is the norm in today's world, but a method of retrieving an offline copy of a 'point in time' snapshot of same is also a fairly important feature. Serving your userbase is what you're there for (not you specificly.. you, the company, generically) and allowing something as trivial* as this is a HUGE step towards that kind of service.

All that is to give you an idea what I expect from a professional product and for the most part, in most places, get. At least outside the CG world. I am dismayed at some products not updating their documentation at all (looking at you Otoy.. most of your plugin docs are YEARS out of date?? REALLY????) or are pushing everything off onto user created youtube videos. But by and large, the big guns have online docs with downloadable or some form of material that can be taken offline available. That's critical.

When I worked for the a major broadcast network here in Atlanta, their entire broadcast floor, and any system that fed data onto that floor (ie... their mostion grahpics systems...) were airgapped from the net. No possibility of getting to online docs from those workstations. It was offline or nothing. There were workarounds (second sytsems wired to the main IT infrastructure network but getting that set up was a bureaucratic and security nightmare that blessedly happened before I started there).

I've rambled enough so I'll close with this. Give me, your paying customer and best advocate and evangalist, ie.. the user out in the wild, the options I want and need to access the information I *need* when I need it, where I need it. It's that simple. And you already have the tech in place to do it. And the talent... or at least you used to.

Scott

(and yes, to a competent admin who's given his wings and left alone to solve the problem without interference this would be trivial)

For those using HTTrack to archive https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020, here's a useful filter list to gather an archive under 2GB...

Code:
    +*.css +*.js -ad.doubleclick.net/* -mime:application/foobar
    +*.gif +*.jpg +*.jpeg +*.png +*.tif +*.bmp +*.pdf
    +*.zip +*.tar +*.tgz +*.gz +*.rar +*.z +*.exe +*.7z
    +*.mov +*.mpg +*.mpeg +*.avi +*.asf +*.mp3 +*.mp2 +*.rm +*.wav +*.vob +*.qt +*.vid +*.ac3 +*.wma +*.wmv
    -*viewpageattachments*
    -*login*
    -*diffpagesbyversion*
    -*viewpages*
    -*viewpreviousversions*
    -*exportword*
    -*/pages/*
    -*/plugins/*
    -*/display/*
    (Be nice to the server: throttle yourself)
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thank You Raymond  

maybe a Torrent file download could be an idea in the future ?

Be it from NT/ViZ or others
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

NewTek holds the copyright on LightWave docs so they would need to authorize distribution. The HTTrack backup tool is intended for personal use.

While a documentation snapshot may be useful for those of us using an offline system, there's no morbid need to backup these documents now. One can assume this documentation will continue to live and evolve, along with the software.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i'm totally ok with online docs.

works fine.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 445.87
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

I agree with the caveat that, once again, the docs site is down:

Proxy Error
    The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request GET /lw2020/reference/surfacing/node-editor.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at docs.lightwave3d.com Port 443

"works fine"

As of 2020-09-15 18:02 PDT (still)...
    Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request GET /.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at docs.lightwave3d.com Port 443
    John W.

well, it is the first error in 3 years isn't it ?

but if it gets to be a trend, i'll surely change that opinion.

currently nothing to cry about... 
    Last edited by erikals; 09-15-2020 at 09:46 PM.

place bets on when it goes dark ? :P

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    well, it is the first error in 3 years isn't it ?
    No. It's not even the first outage this month, did you forget the one six days prior to yesterday's?
    John W.

didn't know.

not so good then.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast