Thread: Bringing in a remote guest

Bringing in a remote guest

I'm in the final stages of building out a studio with the TC 2 Elite. The client is asking what options we have to bring in a remote (Out of state) live guest NOT using Zoom or other VC platforms for better quality feed. What are the best options for getting a remote feed like this?

There is Skype TX support on the TriCaster 2 Elite, which can be a good option. All of these 'meeting' application perform automatic bandwidth and resolutions as need to keep the call going.

Another option is to use SRT. This allows you to specify the bandwidth and resolution. It is more work to get it up and running though. If you need two way conversation, you will need to configure an SRT in each direction. SRT latency might make a conversation difficult, it will likely be much higher than a meeting application.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You might be surprised by how satisfactory the Live Call Connect features in TC2E can be for this purpose. I'd play with that before spending any money, if you can.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You might be surprised by how satisfactory the Live Call Connect features in TC2E can be for this purpose. I'd play with that before spending any money, if you can.
    Specially if just one host is connected. The quality is good and as Steve mention, you will be surprised.
    Daniel Choi
    Tricaster 460 AE2 - Tricaster 855 - Tricaster 455

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This includes some ( a lot?) of marketing speech. IMHO The best answer to your question, as Kane said : All of these 'meeting' application perform automatic bandwidth and resolutions as need to keep the call going. , which means in the end you'll never have the control on the link.

So, go with SRT, or you'd need to go with more complex and expensive systems like LiveU and others.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    This includes some ( a lot?) of marketing speech.
    Not really. I don't bother with marketing 'fluffery'.

Often, you're not going to be displaying a conference caller at high resolution - maybe just using a portion of the screen for that purpose. While it would be hard to beat a dedicated single-caller connection by any number of means, bringing in multiple callers using familiar, ubiquitous platforms has a lot to recommend it in terms of ease-of-setup, can suffice quite nicely for many purposes, and will typically be much less expensive. The one thing I would personally not recommend ist trying to use the conferencing app on the TC to run the conference. Rather, I'd use it as a vehicle for i/o only.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")