Thread: InEar Monitoring

InEar Monitoring

Hi,

Trying to solve an issue with an InEar monitoring with a remote interview.
    I have 1 laptop connect to the network with NDI - getting Zoom or Skype into the Tricaster. (Everything is working smoothly).
    Connect the headphones to headphone amplifier
    1 goes to the headphone of the operator
    2th goes to the InEar of the person who interview.

The problem that I have is that the person who interview - hear him self. its annoying to hear your self and the other side on Zoom.
    Is there any way to solve this?

Thank you for any suggestion,
    Tomer

More information is needed.

1. Both in ear mic are from the same audio output on the Zoom/Skype computer?

2. You need a separate mix for both ear pieces.

3. Where are the microphones connected?

4. What is your audio mixer? The TriCaster or something external?

You need to create mix-minus in the audio mixer, in the same mixer you need to connect the microphones and ear pieces.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

InEar Monitoring

Thank you Kane,

1. Both in ear mic are from the same audio output on the Zoom/Skype computer?
    Coming out from the Tricaster headphones output.

2. You need a separate mix for both ear pieces.

3. Where are the microphones connected? Microphones connected through the camera - hdmi.

4. What is your audio mixer? The TriCaster or something external? Using the Tricaster mixer.

You need to create mix-minus in the audio mixer, in the same mixer you need to connect the microphones and ear pieces.
    Can I mix-minus with the headphones? or should I not use the In-ear from the headphone at all?

Attached is a screen shot of the connectivity.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tricaster-Audio-In-Ear.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	148646

Thank you for the help,
    Tomer

You would need to create a mix minus on one of the auxiliary busses and make sure their audio feed only goes to program and then solo that aux if you want to not hear the local person. The downside of sharing the headphone account port is that he would not be actually monitoring the program feed which you typically want to do to make sure it sounds good. I am not sure which tricaster you have but Most have at least one aux bus available and I would use that for you in ear feed. Another option is to mix the audio externally. Has enough of a delay that it is hard to talk into a microphone and hear your voice after the fact. With an extra audio mixer they likely wouldn’t Hearing them selves as there shouldn’t be a large enough the way to matter.

Working with Tricaster Mini AE3
    Currently using the Tricaster digital mixer.
    Do I have to assume that its better to work with an external mixer for that?

It would allow you to mix the audio and supply a mix to your host that doesn't have the latency on the return audio. Different tools for different jobs. I don't know if the mini has any additional audio outputs. If you can do an aux audio line you could monitor it via a laptop and studio monitor possibly?

There Mini has the one headphone output and one stereo line output. Beyond that, audio is available on the HDMI and NDI outputs.

You can direct audio to the headphone jack buy clicking using the SOLO buttons, this would let you remove the audio/microphone, but in your wiring diagram, it would be the same audio going to both ear pieces. Maybe that isn't an issue, if the two host of the show are sitting right next to each other.

I have a free source on audio routing in TriCaster. It focuses on the TC1 outputs, but the concepts are exactly the same on the Mini.
    https://newtek.learnupon.com/store/9...u-free-courses
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,
    Saw the video explaining about the audio - great video - thank you.
    Understood that I suppose to separate the channels and Mix Minus for the person in the studio.

Thank you,
    Tomer

Any audio we use that's not camera audio or derived from within the Tricaster is routed through a console. Those are typically talent mics, external laptops or media computers, IFB/foldback and comms or mix minus from remote sites. There is more flexibility even with a small mixer than using the Mini's internal audio mixer.

I bought a Mini when the pandemic shut down the "day gig". I'm an A1/mixer primarily live entertainment and award shows, live sports media events and corporate presentations and events. I got a small camera and audio package as well. The mixer is a small format Allen&Heath ZEDi-10. It's not the Calrecs or Digicos I use at the "day gig" but it's a good little mixer for the money. It's got a couple of aux buses (one pre, one post), a 4x4 USB interface if needed with 4 mic pres, clean and low noise. Yamaha has one similar as do most others, Soundcraft, Mackie, Behringer, etc. Plenty good enough for Zoom, Skype, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dstevenslv View Post
    There is more flexibility even with a small mixer than using the Mini's internal audio mixer.
    While I appreciate the value of an external mixer for many reason; just to mention it, though, TreiCaster's internal mixer does have some unique benefits as well - notably a flexible audio follows video system, and native (i.e., free) per channel audio and video delays, threshold macros, e/q, compressor/limiter.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    While I appreciate the value of an external mixer for many reason; just to mention it, though, TriCaster's internal mixer does have some unique benefits as well - notably a flexible audio follows video system, and native (i.e., free) per channel audio and video delays, threshold macros, e/q, compressor/limiter.
    For a one man operation or small production I'm sure it's fine but for anything more comprehensive it doesn't provide enough functionality. In all fairness I don't think it was designed for that. It's good it's there but many applications need a more expansive feature set and features with a higher performance range.

Not to bag on the Mini's internal audio processing but it's limited. The mic pre amp is noisy. The response, feature set and performance of the equalizers and dynamics is basic. The audio aux buses lack discrete level routing or the ability to build pre/post mixes which is something that's standard for an IFB or foldback mix. Even if that bus configuration was available the latency through the box would be problematic. That's not unexpected. It's a video system not an audio console. All in all I think the tool is a fantastic value.

My Zedi is used as an interface. The mics are routed to a Soundgrid server/mixer for processing/mixing returned to the Zedi, mixed with any other line level media feeds and fed analog into the line in of the Mini. Basic but clean. IFB and foldback are derived though the small mixer and distributed where needed. I'm getting ready to add DVS to the Mini. At that point I'll go right from Soundgrid into the Mini via Dante bringing the media sources into Soundgrid using Via or AVIO. Having the ability to integrate Dante on a machine like the Mini is fantasic. If I need to follow something in the switcher with an external source Dante is a good way to do it.
    Mini AE2/ Mini CS, Sony, Nikon, Shure, Lectrosonics
    Riding out the pandemic as a video/audio streaming guy until the day gig opens back up
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-stevens-5b8657182/