Thread: How to use a UV coordinate with a procedural

How to use a UV coordinate with a procedural

Hello
    I'm using some procedurals as nodal displacements. Of course, those procedural have no UV input in the projection list . Now I need those procedurals to follow the river object as if It was in a straight line, using the straight UVmap instead of the distorted path of the river in layout.
    While I know I can use the texture filter or a morph trick, I'm wondering if there is a nodal approach to this. I mean forcing a procedural texture to use the UV coordinate of a mesh rather than the default x/y/z coordinates.
    Especially that DPtextures (windy waves) don't exist in the texture filter list.

Thank you
    Last edited by marchermitte; 09-07-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    ...Especially that DPtextures (windy waves) don't exist in the texture filter list...
    You mean not existing in the Layer Texture Procedural list?
    Should be there if you installed the Rmancollect module.

As a 3D Procedural in a Scalar Layer+ node, it should be possible to plug an UV Mapping node.

Denis.

Hello
    I'm using some procedurals as nodal displacements. Of course, those procedural have no UV input in the projection list . Now I need those procedurals to follow the river object as if It was in a straight line, using the straight UVmap instead of the distorted path of the river in layout.
    While I know I can use the texture filter or a morph trick, I'm wondering if there is a nodal approach to this. I mean forcing a procedural texture to use the UV coordinate of a mesh rather than the default x/y/z coordinates.
    Especially that DPtextures (windy waves) don't exist in the texture filter list.

Thank you
    windywaves exists in (image editor) the textured filter list, If you have installed it properly, this means installing all the Rman colleciton textures, apart from all NODAL Rman collection textures.
    Once that is done, they should be available in the drop down list of all procedurals.

for nodal you can get them trough the nodal installation, Or..us a nodal layer and access the Textured version through that nodal layer, but not using the nodal rman version.
    Then there is hacks to use the nodal editor procedural as well, but that is taking it too far than necessary.

Ok, I installed only the node version of the DP textures, that's why.
    Denis, I tried in the node editor to use a scalar node but couldn't figure out a way to get It to work.

Thank you for your advices. We hear here and there that Lightwave is dead but the community is well alive. Plus I heard "lightwave is dead" for the last 20 years or so...

TrueArt Support
    There used to be nodes for replacing oPos and wPos in nodal access structure..

The all were removed from packs?

Procedural texture in node should take replaced oPos or wPos after using such node..

Denis, I tried in the node editor to use a scalar node but couldn't figure out a way to get It to work...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windy_UV.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	148644

Use the same setup for node displacement,
    Make sure you select the UV in the UV Mapping node
    except you need to plug the 'Scalar' (or 'Alpha') output of the Layer node
    in the Y input of a Make Vector node (native Tool nodes),
    but could be also a scaling multiplier of the Normal
    if your mesh isn't plate.

Denis.

Denis, I tried in the node editor to use a scalar node but couldn't figure out a way to get It to work.

Thank you for your advices. We hear here and there that Lightwave is dead but the community is well alive. Plus I heard "lightwave is dead" for the last 20 years or so...
    I figured that was what you missed and thus my advice on that previously.

People do not have a balance of things, Lightwave dead, or Lightwave development dead or paused is different things, even if there is a shut down on development, it will be around for a while..just not as competetive and
    attractive or used that more, and it all depends on what kind of shut down of course, could be they choose to put it on rest for a while, or not releasing that many versions, not doing that much of development, or it could
    be that they actually find something they can implement with the othe productlines that may strengthen Lightwave itself, though I have my own doubts after seeing the ambigous communication from the Lightwave blog, and
    how much effort in the trust I can put in to Vizrt/Newtek as to both maintaining AND developing Lightwave.

As for community, itīs alive, but itīs reducing in itīs life force in my opinion.

But thereīs no point in going in to that too much now, I have already spoken too much about it.

Good Luck with the task at hand.