Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    It is a nice result, and it shows off the (still great) quality of the old Lightwave renderer, but those render times are insanely long. Is that because of that compound shader?
    Insane as for In relation to his hardware?

I know it says Retrograder in my avatar, but going back as for pbr rendering in the older lightwave, nahh..for me now and then switching back, it would only be for some modeling task requiring 32 bit plugins, or using the old hypervoxels system.

No wait, also for the volumetric lights with the sprite function, as I used it here for the space gases, renders extremely fast, and works better than hypervoxels since it has built in light falloffs and red shift..
    So that is also something I miss that works in 2015, apart from the simbiont shaders.

You know what, a pity they couldnīt maintain the old volume light with sprites, as they sort of maintained the old legacy hv system, then I could have probably used the PBR shading for the vessel but employ the older volumetrics for the lights when needed.
    Will have to check If I can use the newer Dpont procedurals (warping) which yields very nice textures for space stuff, and use that within the 2015.3 volumetric lights.

The global volumetrics is a bit too slow for my test, though I will give it a go for tests with simpler setups.

I don't know - a dual Xeon 16/32 threads CPU is still quite fast, I think, and the scene simple. I would have expected faster render times in the older render engine.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

AA samples were set to 16/32. How many cores in that Xeon, it was not specified in the post above.

Best,
    Last edited by kamiru; 09-25-2020 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamiru View Post
    AA samples were set to 16/32. How many cores in that Xeon, it was not specified in the post above.

Best,
    Threads were specified but wrong. It said 64 threads but in fact it's 32 (still use the same computer). I remember having to crank up AA high in order to get noise away... So you get the good and the bad using that compound shader.

Once I tested it, I did not use anything else because I really liked the look and reliability of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I don't know - a dual Xeon 16/32 threads CPU is still quite fast, I think, and the scene simple. I would have expected faster render times in the older render engine.
    It would be quite bizarre if 2015 would render faster with similar quality than 2028-2020!

The scene is simple although there's a very high displaced sphere in the scene that slows down things a lot. The necessity for high AA doesn't help either. I think it's the complexity of the shaders that really bogs down things.

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    Threads were specified but wrong. It said 64 threads but in fact it's 32 (still use the same computer). I remember having to crank up AA high in order to get noise away... So you get the good and the bad using that compound shader.

Once I tested it, I did not use anything else because I really liked the look and reliability of the outcome.
    did you try using Dpont Denoiser ?

https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...lter.html#OIDN

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2020/09...ave-statement/

This seems to be a positive statement in favor of LW's continuing development. It always made sense to me the Vizrt would incorporate LW into its vision as a storymaking tool. LW is a part of 3D history, and I am reassured by Vizrt's commitment to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post

This seems to be a positive statement in favor of LW's continuing development. It always made sense to me the Vizrt would incorporate LW into its vision as a storymaking tool. LW is a part of 3D history, and I am reassured by Vizrt's commitment to it.
    We can only hope that's what it means.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    This seems to be a positive statement in favor of LW's continuing development.
    We can only hope that's what it means.
    Very few liked that statement, many even jumped to another application.
    It only fueled the frustration when on top of that they have let 3 LightWave engineers go.

But, it has been said. A potential LightWave 2021 release could shed some light on the subject.
    Last edited by erikals; 09-30-2020 at 01:46 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Very few liked that statement, many even jumped to another application.
    It only fueled the frustration when on top of that they have let 3 LightWave engineers go.

But, it has been said. A potential LightWave 2021 release could shed some light on the subject.
    So how many of these "few"? )) Where does this data come from? )
    The modern world is such that the majority in one way or another uses many programs in their work. As for those who have finally switched to other programs, I do not think that this was caused solely by the wave of rumors that were spreading regarding the "final death of the LW!" Most likely, there are really only a few of these, and the rest are those who have long wanted or have already switched to other programs.

So how many of these "few"? )) Where does this data come from? )
    could make poll i guess. or you can check the [LW]2[B] facebook group.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Q: What have we done recently with LightWave 3D?
    A: We have integrated LW3D into Vizrt Group’s central Product Development function to bring it in line with its sister products from the Vizrt , NDI and NewTek brands. This will allow us to optimize R&D resource usage, innovation, and technology sharing across the Group, ultimately improving customer experience.

Of course, they have, this takes time, money and resources.

Q: Are we de-listing LightWave 3D?
    A: No, we continue to sell and support LW3D and related add-ons (see lightwave3d.com for more details).

Of course they will, what little sales they get is better than nothing and of course, they will continue to support it or why would anyone buy it.

Q: Will development continue on this product?
    A: We have just released LightWave 3D 2020, which has been well received by the market and our immediate focus is on supporting the adoption of this latest version. As a company (and like most companies) we do not talk about our development and future plans for our products.

Rubbish, other companies talk about development and future ideas for features. Ok maybe vizRT do not, just like NT did not in the past. However, people have to plan ahead and not knowing whether there will be any other development in the future does not instill any confidence at all.

Q: Will we still support our customers/channels that own LightWave 3D?
    A: Yes, we know that LW3D is integral to many of our customer’s creative work-flows.

Of course they will and of course they would say that, why would any company sell something and then say, well your on your own after you buy it.

Q: What is on the road-map for this product?
    A: At the Vizrt Group we do not share future looking product road-maps. That said, it should be clear that 3D technology is incredibly important and relevant to us and our customer base.

For me most of this is stating the bleeding obvious and no company in transition would say any different. The problem is none of this is any statement of intent for the long term future of LW and that's why i believe many have now started looking at other options because they now need to futureproof themselves.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Most people have multiple software choices already and most likely due to the shortcomings of LW itself, no sculpt, retopo, paint, robust modern uv's, bake high to low etc, not to mention the proliferation of third party rendering solutions. The problem I see is with what Vizrt offers as a product, which seems to be cost effective in house graphics/editing solutions for broadcast, I would think their main sales pitch is why employ expensive outside designers when you can do it in-house for less, for a lot of creatives people they are enemy and they are hijacking their product and their market. Besides I think the sophistication of LW is massive overkill for Visrts needs, look forward to LW Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Most people have multiple software choices already and most likely due to the shortcomings of LW itself, no sculpt, retopo, paint, robust modern uv's, bake high to low etc, not to mention the proliferation of third party rendering solutions. The problem I see is with what Vizrt offers as a product, which seems to be cost effective in house graphics/editing solutions for broadcast, I would think their main sales pitch is why employ expensive outside designers when you can do it in-house for less, for a lot of creatives people they are enemy and they are hijacking their product and their market. Besides I think the sophistication of LW is massive overkill for Visrts needs, look forward to LW Lite.
    Funny i had the same discussion on LW FB page. At the moment vizRT customers use C4D, which you could also argue is overkill for what C4D can do compared to what most vizRT clients actually use it for. You are of course also relying on a third-party solution, when they now have an in house solution in LW. LW was originally there to do motion graphics and for what they need is probably capable in most areas.

My concern would probably be how long and what the cost would be at the end as far as current LW users goes.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Rubbish, other companies talk about development and future ideas for features. Ok maybe vizRT do not, just like NT did not in the past. However, people have to plan ahead and not knowing whether there will be any other development in the future does not instill any confidence at all.
    Feels a bit like the S.E.T.I Project,

We send out signals, and we listen..and listen for Intelligent life, or something that can communicate, but itīs nothing, that concludes..

They either just donīt feel itīs worth responding.
    There is no one there who can respond.
    We are too far away from eachother, they donīt hear us, or due to the distance, they have just started their morning meeting with coffe..waking up realizing they heard something, now they are planning to respond, some day in the future.

Something like that, the recent statement about Lightwave from them, sort of feels like the "Wow" signal popping up, then gone, got to give them that, at least we got something.

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast