Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Definitively subjective, but it was just that last bit, especially the last four words. A secretive company didn't have to add that sentence at all, yet they did. Made me think a bit optimistic.
    VizRT has their own 3D rendering/compositing engine for realtime stuff. So I guess that is where the sentence you found positive, comes from.

Check out their products.... quite amazing realtime rendering stuff, and it supports input from Unreal 3D, Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and After Effects.

There you go.

EDIT: Link to Viz Engine

https://www.vizrt.com/products/viz-engine
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    VizRT has their own 3D rendering/compositing engine for realtime stuff. So I guess that is where the sentence you found positive, comes from.

Check out their products.... quite amazing realtime rendering stuff, and it supports input from Unreal 3D, Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and After Effects.

There you go.

EDIT: Link to Viz Engine

https://www.vizrt.com/products/viz-engine
    yeahhhh Vizrt appears to have little to no need for any technology in Lightwave....
    I hope they will sell it. Perhaps a next buyer could just maintain it with a skeleton crew for basic compatibility and small idea improvements and discount it in product suites or whatever until it generates enough cash-flow to expand development. I mean, come on, don't let Dick van Dyke down

Quote Originally Posted by robertGL View Post
    yeahhhh Vizrt appears to have little to no need for any technology in Lightwave....
    I hope they will sell it. Perhaps a next buyer could just maintain it with a skeleton crew for basic compatibility and small idea improvements and discount it in product suites or whatever until it generates enough cash-flow to expand development. I mean, come on, don't let Dick van Dyke down
    To be fair.... I do think that you are right... that said.... from what I gather on this forum, not enough LW-users wants to put the money where the mouth is.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by robertGL View Post
    Perhaps a next buyer could just maintain it with a skeleton crew for basic compatibility and small idea improvements and discount it in product suites or whatever until it generates enough cash-flow to expand development.
    But hang on a minute , isn't that exactly what Vizrt is doing, and among the few things they essentially confirmed in their statement ?

If that's not good enough, I'm afraid Dick van Dyke may have to personally intervene and buy LW himself. Imagine him as the next President of LW - he could promote LW2021 with a song and dance number..
    Last edited by TheLexx; 09-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    LW 2021, if there even is one is going to be a very hard sell indeed.
    sell to who ? they are actively engaging in blowing away their customer base
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    To be fair.... I do think that you are right... that said.... from what I gather on this forum, not enough LW-users wants to put the money where the mouth is.
    users didn't put thier money out cos LWG never gave them what they wanted and asked for. simples

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    users didn't put thier money out cos LWG never gave them what they wanted and asked for. simples
    I disagree. There have been lots of loyal customers, and their endurance and enthusiasm has to be respected.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I know for a fact that Andrew has long tried very hard to put LW on a profitable path to ensure its future. But whether that succeeds or fails is certainly not and never was all on him.
    Well you said it all right there Steve. LW isn't profitable, it hasn't been for some time and now it's up to the suites to see if they want to try and make it profitable.
    Tim Parsons

As I already spoke on FB - I thought to skip 2020 and upgrade to 2021, but due to various circumstances, I am thinking of upgrading to 2020 in order to maintain a good opinion of its owners about LW.
    One release may differ from another - in one case, some users get more, in another, others. Although I am very glad that the LW got a more modern renderer, but its speed does not allow me to use it in my daily tasks. Other updates in 2020, while interesting, do not greatly affect my workflow. However, if you think that in the future I will have to look for another program and transfer my workflow to another environment, I'd rather support the LW with an upgrade to a new version today than tomorrow I'll get a whole bunch of problems I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    But hang on a minute , isn't that exactly what Vizrt is doing, and among the few things they essentially confirmed in their statement ?

If that's not good enough, I'm afraid Dick van Dyke may have to personally intervene and buy LW himself. Imagine him as the next President of LW - he could promote LW2021 with a song and dance number..
    A while ago when I was thinking of a user that would have the money to buy Lightwave I thought if Dick Van Dyke immediately.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well you said it all right there Steve. LW isn't profitable, it hasn't been for some time and now it's up to the suites to see if they want to try and make it profitable.
    Yes I really do think VizRT is going to try something with Lightwave but what wether that is successful or not and what form that might take is really up in the air and that is likely why they aren't saying much about it because it may not be clear what they plan to do yet and they aren't going to make any empty promises.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    As I already spoke on FB - I thought to skip 2020 and upgrade to 2021, but due to various circumstances, I am thinking of upgrading to 2020 in order to maintain a good opinion of its owners about LW.
    One release may differ from another - in one case, some users get more, in another, others. Although I am very glad that the LW got a more modern renderer, but its speed does not allow me to use it in my daily tasks. Other updates in 2020, while interesting, do not greatly affect my workflow. However, if you think that in the future I will have to look for another program and transfer my workflow to another environment, I'd rather support the LW with an upgrade to a new version today than tomorrow I'll get a whole bunch of problems I don't need.
    I have always upgraded Lightwave to both support the product and keep up to date with the software. I currently use 3 versions the most 2018, 2019 & 2020. I often jump between versions for various reasons depending on the work I'm doing. I also archive all the various builds of each version since some have bugs that others don't. You can never have to many versions of Lightwave!

I use 2015.3 and the new 2020 LW in my work. I have a good amount of client work that I have to keep 2015.3 in the loop. I don't want to have to convert 100's of objects and scenes to the newer system in 2020 for those client projects. It's too much work IMO. However, I do some work in 2020 if it is started from scratch.

I have purchased every version of LW over the last 20 years and plan on staying current if there is a 2021 version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I have always upgraded Lightwave to both support the product and keep up to date with the software. I currently use 3 versions the most 2018, 2019 & 2020. I often jump between versions for various reasons depending on the work I'm doing. I also archive all the various builds of each version since some have bugs that others don't. You can never have to many versions of Lightwave!
    yes, same. biatch but upgrade to keep current and support and use several versions with separate configs.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    sell to who ? they are actively engaging in blowing away their customer base
    Which is what I meant. No one in their right mind is going to buy LW whilst all this is going on and no future development plans. So they would have to rely on upgrades and we all know many people who did not upgrade after 2015.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast