Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

Also, every serious or professional 3D artist should have gained knowledge in at least one other DCC in the last couple of years in my opinion.
    On that note, R23 was just announced. Slightly curious your own postion - 4D or B ?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    i do not think any LW archviz user - can move away from Lightwave easily .. I know we cant..
    Why not? Tools like LWCAD and even LWCAD itself (but better because non-destructive) exist in other apps. And there are lots of advantages (like having access to native Archviz materials, objects and render engines).

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    On that note, R23 was just announced. Slightly curious your own postion - 4D or B ?
    Most stuff I will still do in 4D but I will remain in R20 and R21 Studio.

The S22 and R23 updates are rather thin in my opinion and the new licensing is crap.

I started using Blender and various of its plugins for some things.

For me its 80% C4D, and 10% LW and Blender each for now, but Blender is making more and more fun with every release.

By the way, ProRender no longer on board, bad move as this was a main feature in R19 / R20.

"R23 - Removed features (Virtual Walkthrough, ProRender, Sound System)"
    Last edited by Marander; 09-09-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Why not? Tools like LWCAD and even LWCAD itself (but better because non-destructive) exist in other apps. And there are lots of advantages (like having access to native Archviz materials, objects and render engines).
    do you work in archviz ?

do you work in archviz ?
    Nope sorry I don't. Have done one personal Arch project in LW but I have colleagues who work in that field with other apps.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This won't be a popular notion, but as a guy who is basically a glorified tech writer I have to say something in defense of ambiguity.

While frustrating to those dying for concrete info (and really, for the writer too) writers will indeed sometimes deliberately resort to vague wording. This can be for a variety of reasons: Sometimes, for example, a writer must document something that is still in a bit of a state of flux at the time of writing. Other times, ambiguity serves as a way to provide some information without limiting options. There can be other reasons, too. While never really satisfying, ambiguity isn't always nefarious by any means.
    Thatīs why I included, they either donīt know exactly where they are and where to go, or they know exactly that.
    In either case, none of it is very ensuring, If thatīs the best they can provide..so be it.

And also..it can also bee seen as, no ..we do not know if we can continue to develop, if the opposite, itīs just a matter of confirming and say so.

Ambiquity..the very best friend of politicians and presidents, it covers your options with a lot of holes for Any slippery eel to take an exit when something is unsure, or you just want to cover any accidents.

I canīt say I agree on defending ambiquity, perhaps depends on per case basis, to say it is, proper, good, fair etc?
    No, I generally do not think so... so I beg to differ, then again I havenīt been in any situation or position where I ever had a need to resort to Ambiquity, I fool myself

So as you suspected initially..you are absolutely right in your first sentence, But we All come from different environments and with different perspectives.

i do not think any LW archviz user - can move away from Lightwave easily .. I know we cant..
    It may be useful to look at true CAD applications. LWCAD and the "hard surface modeling" buzzword thrown around in many polygonal DCC apps is really just an approximation of what CAD is. There's now a low barrier of entry to CAD with free apps like freeCAD (which can export OBJ for LW).

I can only giggle at B-evangelists that try to entice LW users with talk of non-destructive modeling techniques. They're still missing the full benefits of a real CAD environment.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Funny to see these (ex-) LW hardliners after working a couple of months or years in another applications posting that they should have moved much earlier and they don't look back.

And also funny to see that most LW'ers automatically choose Blender (in many cases I guess it's a budget thing).

Also, every serious or professional 3D artist should have gained knowledge in at least one other DCC in the last couple of years in my opinion.
    Since Lightwave probably has been one of the most cost efficient tools, and also suitable for hobby artists..there wasnīt much challenge in the game a couple of years ago, that has changed drasticly..and why they are not choosing another software that is more expensive than Lightwave is of course a no brainer, but even the free options, if it would even be half the price of Lightwave..or equally expensive, Lw would still find itself being in a competitional state, not as much perhaps..but definitely competitional.

Just noticed an interesting job of making board signs based on 3D constructions here in Sweden, and One merital skillset is to have skills in Blender, and I can understand why with itīs built in realtime booleans, that are non destructive as well, so it is easy to go in and change text and fonts, scaling, kerning and see it update in drilled holes etc and direct feedback within the render and illumination, and it doesnīt cost or reuquire a license even, this is something Lightwave can not match, the job is in a different city though, quite a bit from where I live.

I donīt think LW cads booleans can be accessed after the tool is dropped and be realtime, and itīs not working in scene context in layout either, so itīs a threesome advantage when dealing with holes
    1. non destructive.
    2. in scene context feedback
    3. costs nothing

Do you use LWCAD in C4D? I was seriously looking at C4D as a future option but the price to own it is outrageous and then the subscription is almost pointless because if you ever stop paying C4D will stop working. I hope LWCAD get's a port to Blender or Modo eventually.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Same here. I rely on LWCAD heavily in my arch viz work flow especially the basic drafting tools that enable drafting when something needs to be designed or corrected then turned into geometry. I will go where ever LWCAD gets ported in the future if that does even happen.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I can only giggle at B-evangelists that try to entice LW users with talk of non-destructive modeling techniques. They're still missing the full benefits of a real CAD environment.
    Not only B, every major DCC app has a non-destructive workflow (along with the 'traditional' polygonal features).

And yes, I agree CAD applications are something else with a different focus.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    It may be useful to look at true CAD applications. LWCAD and the "hard surface modeling" buzzword thrown around in many polygonal DCC apps is really just an approximation of what CAD is. There's now a low barrier of entry to CAD with free apps like freeCAD (which can export OBJ for LW)... They're still missing the full benefits of a real CAD environment.
    Indeed. Since I became "non commercial" I've been using the free version of Fusion 360, and frankly, I'm not sure I could go back to any "graphics" program for hard surface modelling.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Do you use LWCAD in C4D? I was seriously looking at C4D as a future option but the price to own it is outrageous and then the subscription is almost pointless because if you ever stop paying C4D will stop working. I hope LWCAD get's a port to Blender or Modo eventually.
    Yes I have LWCAD for both LW and C4D. The C4D version has less features because they're not required but the ArchViz stuff is great. In addition there are other ArchViz plugins, for example http://www.caleidos4d.it/plugin_architectural_pack.htm

You can still get a perpetual version, but since R21 with online checking every 14 days. And the subscription nonsense yes, I understand you, I wouldn't want that too.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And also..it can also bee seen as, no ..we do not know if we can continue to develop, if the opposite, itīs just a matter of confirming and say so.

Ambiquity..the very best friend of politicians and presidents, it covers your options with a lot of holes for Any slippery eel to take an exit when something is unsure, or you just want to cover any accidents.
    Like anything, it can - and often is - used for malign purposes. I'm just saying that isn't always the case, nor will an honest person use ambiguity as justification to make assertions ... speculation, sure - ambiguity invites it; but 'alternate facts' are something else.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast