Page 65 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium View Post
    "For Lightwave to survive, Lightwave needs to be put in such dedicated hands before it peters out completely."
    That would be me.
    I doubt you'll ever get the chance.
    Tim Parsons

Elvis has left the Building.

This ship has Sailed.

The train has left the Station.

tho' nothing would be cooler, so soon calling this the day, 3:00am. When i wake up, I expect it all to be fixed.

Last edited by erikals; 10-24-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Elvis has left the Building.

This ship has Sailed.

The train has left the Station.

tho' nothing would be cooler, so soon calling this the day, 3:00am. When i wake up, I expect it all to be fixed.

Ash, parker, lambert..and the rest of the crew, all dead, this is Ellen Ripley the last survivor of nostromo, signing of..( oh cra..p) thatīs another reality.
    And the night is still young I think, or am I getting old? turning 55 ..well I did yesterday, so I am in the pipe 5 by 5.

And sweet dreams ,everyone is allowed to have one ,except robots.

Hey Congratulations!

55, no bad age

and lots to look forward to.

44 over here, bad knees, but still kicking.

Good Night Mister,
    signing out for today, darn... 4:25...

who knows, might dream of electronic sheep...

Last edited by erikals; 10-24-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Hey Congratulations!

55, no bad age

and lots to look forward to.

44 over here, bad knees, but still kicking.

Good Night Mister,
    signing out for today, darn... 4:25...

who knows, might dream of electronic sheep...

Thanks Mate!
    No bad Knees here actually, so they are ok, just one bad foot some years ago with mortons neurom, guess it was my use of cowboy boots in my youth that squeezed them together too much.

Yeah, got to do some fluid sims one hour more, then godnight here as well, yesterday I went to sleep 12:30 at mid dinner time, that is so off the charts, so now perhaps 6 hours earlier, and tomorrow I gain one hour due to the time shift, maybe the
    last time shift we have to do now when EU states it should be static ..or they want that anyway it seems.

A Philip K Dick book isnīt bad but if you do dream of electronic sheep, somethings wrong with you and you may question your humanity, Iīm counting blondes, in the flesh Thatīs my birthday dream anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    I cannot judge them because I don't know exactly what problems they faced, but I can think of a few. Declining budget due to declining interest, and fierce competition where hardly anything grows in the shadow of the winner.

It looks like (the person who hired) Rob tried to get his VAD or Virtual Art Department functions in LightWave, bundled in the Virtual Studio.
    I wonder if someone is using the Virtual Studio features at all.
    NevronMotion was introduced as a separate plugin, but it should have been an integral part of LightWave so we could have reused animations.

The next manager should ask himself how the average user applies LightWave and what innovative techniques are needed to do so.
    1. Fix data transfer to the main other packages, including to the B software that we never dare to mention here. Read the reports in this forum. Guess what? It - Does - Not - Work - ! Where is that manager who informs us about these kinds of big problems and about the progress of the solutions? Collaboration with other software increases the chance of survival.
      I completely understand ($$$) that we will not see real-time ray tracing on the GPU for the time being, but at least make sure that you have a fast and correct live data connection to a package that can do this for those who absolutely need it to survive in their business, and thus prevent so many users run away that the remaining group is too small to get out of bed for.
      I still use VirtualDub. Why? Because it is the glue between all those fancy but egocentric applications.
    2. Fully implement innovations. Not just a little bit and then give it a little bit in the next update. Do users have problems with IKBooster because their model suddenly turns into a spastic squid? Add an Undo function to fix a mistake; provide presets that actually function on the most requested Objects such as bipeds and quadrupeds; auto-generate feedback if the user needs help during certain processes. Keep improving that ground breaking new feature until the user gets it. Finish what you started. As far as I can see, no one has touched IKBooster for improvement or further integration. It has so much potential but it seems that nobody cares to continue development.
    3. Do some things require changes that are too big? Offer alternatives. Lately this has worked quite well with the timeline data in Modeler, and the search function in long lists. Continue!
    4. Google Vizrt: "Vizrt is the home of IP-based, software-defined visual storytelling, helping to build a better-informed world. Our mission is to give storytellers the power to master ...". About this mission, I still don't understand why LightWave could not be a part in that storytelling infrastructure. Why are those tools still not connected to LightWave and vice versa? Why am I not editing my animations in some NLE related to TriCaster? SpeedEDIT? Aura Video Paint? A suite with this software could cover the whole storytelling landscape. All you need is: vision and persistence.
      Is a product not sold well? Don't shelve it! Bundle it, integrate it, improve it, and make 1 + 1 = 3.

Make LightWave great glue again!
    Well said. Well said.

"For Lightwave to survive, Lightwave needs to be put in such dedicated hands before it peters out completely."
    That would be me. I have the mechanisms in place to execute on this and the experience to do it. I can turn the product around in short order by focusing on what is really important to users as a user myself that has had to go from lowly artist level (and treated as such, sometimes by people who claimed to know better, but ultimately fell flat when push came to shove) to supervisor level while retaining the ability to still "drive the box" from end to end. Meaning from previs to final composite. When you understand the big picture you see exactly where the little details scream out their importance and why those things have to be executed on right from technique to tool functionality in order to deliver. Furthermore I have the business acumen to do it. I've worked practically every job in sales and support that you can shake a stick at, from retail sales in electronics to pizza to patents and production services. I've done it. In addition to this I have the corporate experience to facilitate proper business model structures as well as corporate organizational considerations dealing with everything from financing and public company listings and compliance. On the business development side I've been able to get major companies to engage with my efforts in other business dealing I've had in the past in the form of strategic partnerships to technology licensing and co-development efforts. I'm actually doing that now with a very well know brand on another front but circles back to LightWave3D. Everything I've done for the last 15 years or so, has been to prepare for this moment and I will have my chance.
    It would be great to have it sold to someone who cares about it, and sees the potential. I won't count on the companies involved to be logical in any way, but hope they will sell it to a good home, rather than let the IP become so outdated that it is worthless. Good luck.

Just answering the question about installation file sizes changing between 2019 and 2020.

2019 included the nvidia denoiser, but back then each developer had to include the nvidia Optix dlls, which were 400mb ish.
    As nvidia developed this stuff further, they began distributing it via their driver installations instead.
    When 2020 came out LightWave started using the newer libraries and could therefore ditch the bloated dlls, hence the smaller install file size.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

That would be me. I have the mechanisms in place to execute on this and the experience to do it. I can turn the product around in short order by focusing on what is really important to users as a user myself that has had to go from lowly artist level (and treated as such, sometimes by people who claimed to know better, but ultimately fell flat when push came to shove) to supervisor level while retaining the ability to still "drive the box" from end to end. Meaning from previs to final composite. When you understand the big picture you see exactly where the little details scream out their importance and why those things have to be executed on right from technique to tool functionality in order to deliver. Furthermore I have the business acumen to do it. I've worked practically every job in sales and support that you can shake a stick at, from retail sales in electronics to pizza to patents and production services. I've done it. In addition to this I have the corporate experience to facilitate proper business model structures as well as corporate organizational considerations dealing with everything from financing and public company listings and compliance. On the business development side I've been able to get major companies to engage with my efforts in other business dealing I've had in the past in the form of strategic partnerships to technology licensing and co-development efforts. I'm actually doing that now with a very well know brand on another front but circles back to LightWave3D. Everything I've done for the last 15 years or so, has been to prepare for this moment and I will have my chance.
    Well, if the LW is not destined to develop more under the leadership of Newtek or Vizrt - let's hope that you or someone like you can take the LW into your own hands.

i don't think it is that easy

- LW development has stopped, people have been laid off in the process
    - LW tools (if any) will be moved elsewhere

in other news...

Last edited by erikals; 10-25-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I doubt you'll ever get the chance.
    Have to agree, whatever happens, I do not see vizRT releasing the code on github or selling it at all.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

- LW development has stopped, people have been laid off in the process
    For development to continue with different people (perhaps).

- LW tools (if any) will be moved elsewhere
    Situation uncertain from some user confidence, but still not definite that will be the case (tools "elsewhere" could be bought to Lightwave).

in other news...
    In other news, Modo users and others are equally poohing themselves about their own situation... Had to be said, just once.

It's really simple...
    I can make this happen.
    Ok now let's assume you purchased the right on the brand and source code of LW. Which (and how many) developers would bring LW to an acceptable level where new licenses can be sold and bug fixes can be provided to existing users? What budget and time frame would that take?

Situation uncertain from some user confidence, but still not definite that will be the case (tools "elsewhere" could be bought to LightWave).
    Yes, it is certainly tricky to understand what exactly they are trying to do. (that is, hopefully they are trying Something..)

Think it comes down to the fact that there is no money in 3D from a vendors point of view, or very little, if they commit to continuing I think they will most probably lose money, most likely why they tried to sell it. If they did sell it thought what then, LW until recently was being managed by a small in-house development team, I dunno say ten or more at most, and you are now advocating it be sold to an even smaller group of developers, maybe even a one man band, and your expecting if not a miracle at least a second coming like no other, dream on.

Page 65 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast