Page 57 of 74 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    De rien, mon ami.

A+B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    They sold us LW2020 and it has been shelved half way through it's year life and only had two bug patch fixes.

I demand a full refund for all purchasers of LW2020. You sold us a half finished product update.

Have some decency for goodness sake, where is your morality?

I will deal my finishing touch in due course.
    I sympathize with your disappointment, but you are clearly overreaching, sorry.

First, you're assuming there will be no further patches, which does not seem to me to jive squarely with what has been said officially. Second, you don't speak for all LW 2020 users. It might be surprise you to know that people are continuing to purchase LW 2020 as I type this - and not just one or two, either. This certainly indicates some are not interested in a refund, right? If you are, I encourage you to take that conversation up with Sales.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

i think people are missing that vizrt are largely a software company based in Europe, and newtek is largely hardware based in USA, so what's to say lightwave isn't just moving house, and they don't want work done remotely? it would take time to get up to speed, but if im not mistaken some one already pointed out at least one developer that changed description to software/vizrt, and his location was in Europe,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I sympathize with your disappointment, but you are clearly overreaching, sorry.

First, you're assuming there will be no further patches, which does not seem to me to jive squarely with what has been said officially. Second, you don't speak for all LW 2020 users. It might be surprise you to know that people are continuing to purchase LW 2020 as I type this - and not just one or two, either. This certainly indicates some are not interested in a refund, right? If you are, I encourage you to take that conversation up with Sales.
    Such mixed messages all the time.

We get information that not many people had upgraded to 2020, thus sealing its fate, straight from somebody directly involved with the product. Now your trying to telling me people are still buying this product right now and insinuating that it's not just a few seats either.

We are told nobody is left bar one person from the development team and they will be gone by the end of the year and I'm supposedly are to believe the story that there will still be patches to the product and updates?

By WHO, nobody is left, WHO will spend time and continue to bug fix the program, a BOT? Maybe the lone developer will bug fix until the end of the year and that is it, at least give some clarity.

Will anyone, with half a decent spirit/soul of humankind from VizRT release a damn press release to put things straight.
    Last edited by Marty3DGuru; 10-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    i think people are missing that vizrt are largely a software company based in Europe, and newtek is largely hardware based in USA, so what's to say lightwave isn't just moving house, and they don't want work done remotely? it would take time to get up to speed, but if im not mistaken some one already pointed out at least one developer that changed description to software/vizrt, and his location was in Europe,
    Then just bloody say it then. It's hardly going to send shockwaves to the other 3D companies if they made a statement. They've had over a year now to decide what to do with it, state your intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Are they aware that the whole developing team has been let go or re-jiggle into other products? Because if that is the case, they NewTek and vizRT are clearly milking the software.

If there's no more developers on LW itself, who is doing the further patches? God?
    Exactly, well said.

They are milking the product now. They can do what they like, but this I believe is not ethical, to keep selling a software which is EOL unless clearly stated on the product buying page.

I have enjoyed using this software since around 2012.

It is sad to say whilst I have enjoyed using it, never have I known such contempt to be dished at customers than what I have witnessed during this period.

Judgement has been passed, a karmic response has been dished out, all is done now.

I will never post again or respond to any more comments. This time I will sign off for good.

All the best to everyone with pure heart and soul.
    Last edited by Marty3DGuru; 10-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.

I have enjoyed using this software since around 2012.

It is sad to say whilst I have enjoyed using it, never have I known such contempt to be dished at customers than what I have witnessed during this period.

Judgement has been passed, a karmic response has been dished out, all is done now.

I will never post again or respond to any more comments. This time I will sign off for good.

All the best to everyone with pure heart and soul.
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the Classified section..

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    FWIW, I took raymondtrace's advice here and the download seems to work a treat. The entire online docs, including the animations, downloaded as 1.87gb and took around 90 minutes. I just cut and pasted raymondtrace's recommended data in the download window, and it finally showed 28 "errors" out of many thousands, but all seems to be there as far as I can tell. So for anyone on 2018 or 2019, might be worth trying that (but remember, personal use only ! ).
    Thanks!
    Much faster to read the manuals from my local drive.
    And it contains the LW2018 and LW2019 docs too.

Downloaded the installation files of LW9/LW11/LW2015/LW201LW2019/LW2020 as well.
    I'll keep them with my installation CD's of LW4/LW5/LW6/LW7/LW8.

Whatever happens.

Does anyone have any advice on how to import my LightWave models and scenes into Blender?

I'm trying to download the Online docs with HTTrack too, btu internet connection is terrible, so it's going slow.
    Where is BeeVee's PDF version of the documentation available from?

Derek

Such mixed messages all the time.
    That's what happens when you listen to a lot of different sources. And yes, I'm aware that absent specific details, rumors will fly. Not my call, but I'm not 'insinuating' anything.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Are they aware that the whole developing team has been let go or re-jiggle into other products?
    Anyone who isn't aware of the 'situation' must surely be without an internet connection, which seems a vanishingly small likelihood. I'm not going to try to account for it, but presume they have their reasons. As to the rest, many at NewTek wear a lot of hats; that's how its always been. Feel free to post a link to an official statement that says there will be no further support, or just continue to prognosticate based on speculation.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Like MauricioPC was mentioning, you are making an assumption that those buyers are making an informed decision. And with regards to all the uncertainty about LW`s future I think that is hard to do. Which is why VIZRT should either stop selling an abandoned software and/or come clean about it`s future. That would be the decent thing to do.

...Feel free to post a link to an official statement that says there will be no further support, or just continue to prognosticate based on speculation.
    I suspect the issue is the ambiguity of "support". "Support" could mean either software patches/updates or user instruction/assistance. Absence of the former is what scares users and provokes speculation.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Like MauricioPC was mentioning, you are making an assumption that those buyers are making an informed decision.
    An entirely reasonable assumption, unless they live in a cave (which would presumably make downloading a bit tricky). But my point wasn't that Viz is profiting from the sales (surely it would not be wrong to think that there is much less famous - in this group - NewTek software which has been considerably more profitable than LW for many years now). Rather, I pointed out that the continued interest makes a strong statement demonstrating that everyone does not want a refund, hence the call for a 'mass refund' program has no basis. This point (i.e., the one I actually made) cannot be successfully contested.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 57 of 74 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast