Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

What I don' get is that they haven't had any kind of crossgrade sale or an incentive sale to get people to upgrade to 2020. Seems like a little promotion to drum up some business would be in order before you throw in the towel.

I think in the end it will be just a case of a very small development team working on LW full-time and then borrowing Vizrt coders to fill in the gaps. (Best case scenario I guess. )
    Tim Parsons

well... ...

...or
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

where is the next meme

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    What I don' get is that they haven't had any kind of crossgrade sale or an incentive sale to get people to upgrade to 2020. Seems like a little promotion to drum up some business would be in order before you throw in the towel.

I think in the end it will be just a case of a very small development team working on LW full-time and then borrowing Vizrt coders to fill in the gaps. (Best case scenario I guess. )
    Good point. Cross grade from anything incuding Creative suite or Zbrush etc. for $99

I'd highlight the tools and functions. Lightwave is very good as an IO translator for cad and great as a cleanup tool for meshes.

Also great at concept shot creation and layouts for concept paintovers. Selling these aspects would show value to end users in many areas.

Someone should look at the various uses of Lightwave and put together a page illustrating this usefulness before killing it.

I fall back to using it daily in many tasks due to the utility of the software and you can see I have a few options at my disposal. I dont think that it is sold or marketed correctly at all.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-07-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post

The groundless speculation of LW's future is bad enough.
    - absolutely agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I'd highlight the tools and functions. Lightwave is very good as an IO translator for cad and great as a cleanup tool for meshes.
    CAD import / export as a strength in LW? I would have said that's one of its weaknesses. Have you seen how other DCC software can handle CAD data!?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    integrate Blender Cycles Render,

problem solved.
    Yes problem solved maybe after 2 - 5 years of intensive development (Shading, Lighting, Nodes, VPR, UI, Network Rendering, compatibility with old scenes, plugins, and file format etc etc.).

And then there would still be the LW incomplete render engine in order to use older scenes.

But for who all this effort, for the remaining few users of LW? Why not just use the real thing then?

If they would have done that for LW 2018 within the years of silence it would have been great but now its too late in my opinion. Except they have been working on this secretly for years which is very unlikely considering their render focus in the last updates.

Look at LWs official Twitter page at the last updates, not even LW 2020 was announced. They are done in my opinion.

we will have to disagree.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    we will have to disagree.
    No problem that's what the forum is there for ;-)

As a reference look at Cycles4D, which took several years to develop and refine (but now it's awesome to use).

Also remember that they would need to keep integrating the newest Cycles core constantly in order to keep up. And what about Eevee?
    Last edited by Marander; 09-08-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Just speculation, but I think Erwin Schrödinger has been put in charge of Lightwave development...

Good morning all,
    firstly, i wish Lightwave could continue to develop, i love lightwave and i use it every day.
    To give my opinion with a little look back, why spend time and money on an integrated renderer (with all due respect to the developers), just look behind us, there was Fprime , Kray now Octane: why not have had a policy of developing and redesigning the modeler and other major tools, and leave the part returned to already efficient third parties. Why not have all implemented so that the external renderers are the most transparent / integrate with Lightwave. Why did you want to redo what others did perfectly!
    Also, why for some people always want free, or want too cheap tools. Good development requires funds to stay on the market, this also involves a cost of licenses (I'm not for free and not for Lightwave open source), I prefer to pay more and have a solid tool, sustainable over time, and above all whose development is responsive to users.

Let's stop behaving like students, we are professionals who used to make a living with the use of a tool that remains great: Please just look at my work, all visuals are done with Lightwave in partnership with Octane _ Kray and Lwcad. The goal is to quickly produce a very professional work, today the trio Lightwave / Lwcad and Octane works perfectly. (I'm not trying to advertise, just show somebody when LW 's archivz render can compete with the Max / Vray duo.) (cinema4D / Vray ) and Arnold etc.
    Strength is the combination of skills.
    I think we have to show that all of us don't want Lightwave to end, on the contrary.
    Just put the means where it is needed to stay on the scene, and not be afraid of a partner to go further.
    Now I am certain that Newtek's leadership is looking for the best path for Lightwave's continuity. "Who will kill his own child", I want to stay on a positive and hopeful note by trusting Newtek.
    thank you for listening
    kinds regards

here a link for a current project ( all is done with Lightwave / lwcad /octane )
    https://www.vedea.archi/projet/insti...site-insulaire

sylvain
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by slv; 09-08-2020 at 06:37 AM.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    I haven't posted here in quite a while having left LW years ago. I feel for you all -- you don't deserve to have to deal with what's going on.
    Seems a few folks are saying, "LW has been through this before... " -- I guess I just got tired of "going through" that a few too many times.
    I think LW development has ground to a halt and the writing is on the wall. Think about it this way: If you are a company producing a product and you have a wonderful upgrade to it coming out, wouldn't you want to let folks know about it? In other words, the silence is deafening.

I hope I am wrong about LW's future and I wish you all well.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Just speculation, but I think Erwin Schrödinger has been put in charge of Lightwave development...

that would be quite a thing, because "Schrödinger's Equation" actually has something to do with the calculation of lightwaves in the real world!
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    that would be quite a thing, because "Schrödinger's Equation" actually has something to do with the calculation of lightwaves in the real world!
    Ha ha! I never knew that. I was just thinking of his cat...

TO SBOWIE

QUOTE:
    And I do talk to Andrew, almost every day. He's one of the smartest, most earnest, and most genuine people I know in the industry, and always has a far deeper understanding of what is practical and what isn't than I do. Likewise Vizrt has scores of people who are better at both development and business than I am.

SO LET HIM KNOW ALL THE PAIN USERS ARE GOING THROUGH & ASK HIM TO POST ABOUT THIS IN THE FORUMS, HE OWES US THIS "!

Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast