Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

well its a shame, i just had to nip into blender to do some stuff and urgh, god I hate it, even with the redesigned ui.

A few things seem to have converged for me.

I have been enjoying watching the entire series of Babylon 5 with my son, who is now 12. He has thoroughly loved it. And he is proud that he is also learning to use the software that it's FX was produced with. He is learning to make computer games in Unity. He is the next generation.
    We watched Sleeping in light last night, and I found the closing message especially poignant:
    "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us.
    It taught us that we had to create the future, or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for each other – because if we don't, who will? And that strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places.
    Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us."

We, as Lightwave users are a passionate bunch. We create, we argue, we move forward. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of us would like to keep moving forward WITH Lightwave, and not see it go the same way as B5 in the closing scenes. We need to strike a balance between making a nuisance of ourselves to make the powers that be aware of our feelings, without becoming TOO MUCH of a nuisance. I am just a humble user on a mostly wet island far away from Newtek. But there are others who are able to contact those much closer to the decision making process, and hopefully influence the situation. Though I fear that as Kosh said in season 1, "The avalanche has begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

I am trying to be optimistic, but it is getting harder. A positive sign would go a long way right now. Like gar26lw, I also opened up the free alternative, just long enough to remember why I hate it. I just cannot imagine doing my job with it.

And I remember another B5 related tale. JMS said a while ago why there was never going to be any more Babylon 5 - Warner Brothers was like a 'monkey with it's hand stuck in a jar because it is clutching a nut.' WB won't release the IP of Babylon 5 for anyone else to develop, and it has no intention of doing anything else with it itself.
    I get the feeling that this is where we are with Newtek and VizRt.

Sigh.

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    When did anyone (anyone who matters, that is) say this was the case?
    Understood. Sure would be nice to have a clue on this, none of us do from the looks of it. Until someone says something I'm hoping to see 2020.0.3 to clean up a few bugs. Until then I'll leave the teeth gnashing to those who enjoy it.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

wont be anyone left at this rate, if you take a squiz at the fb “support” group

Slight correction...

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    • 3 developers, Jon Tindall, Antti Javela, and David Vrba, are no longer working on Lightwave.
    • According to their Linkedin profiles, each was a contractor, not an employee.
    According to their Linked In profiles, the three are no longer working at Newtek. One is explicitly seeking new employment, other two unclear, though recommendations imply they are as well. That's different than "no longer working on Lightwave", which implies they're still at Newtek. Also, given durations of employment (each well in excess of 10 years at Newtek, most for each on LW), they're important to LW development, regardless whether they were employees or contractors.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

A recent Facebook post suggest LW was up for sale, had a buyer, but NT bailed at last moment on concerns key staff would be lured away, staff NT deemed necessary for other internal projects. So, if remaining key staff are doing other things not LW related and the rest have been let go, who the hell is coding for LW, no one ?, Makes you wonder how they can still offer it for sale on the front page, it's looking more and more like a Norwegian Blue as each day passes.

Lightwave has seen many end time conspiracies and survived them all.
    I remain optimistic.
    I love Lightwave and earn my bread, butter and honey with it since Lightwave 5.0
    :-)

...I am not a Facebook user

If people are going to bail on the sale of LW, they will bail anyway, after no sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Romizer View Post
    Lightwave has seen many end time conspiracies and survived them all.
    I remain optimistic.
    I love Lightwave and earn my bread, butter and honey with it since Lightwave 5.0
    :-)

...I am not a Facebook user
    Same here, but for me since version 6.

If Lightwave gathers dust on the development shelf for a year or two, I can live with that. We have seen long periods with no communication, and long gaps between updates before. But loss of momentum is never a good thing. not where business is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Same here, but for me since version 6.

If Lightwave gathers dust on the development shelf for a year or two, I can live with that. We have seen long periods with no communication, and long gaps between updates before. But loss of momentum is never a good thing. not where business is concerned.
    If they make the open GL up to date, integrated octane gpu via the viewport to skip the renderer, add a few workflow UX enhancements and modeller tweaks, subcontract layout to Japanese firm such as 3rd powers, nodes to dpont.. it would be good. I'd buy several upgrades. Last upgrade sucked cos they did not give users what they wanted, apart from fix the renderer mistakes Depending on sales figures, I am sure you could milk this sucker a little more :P Can they be bothered? Probably not, so why not hand it off to someone who can and will pay for the privilege?

IMHO, subcontracting to known kick-*** develpoers would probably be cheaper and develpoment would be exponetially faster, with less resources. There are programmers and then there are programmers.

If they just gave the whole thing to Ikeda, I am sure you'd get something half decent.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-07-2020 at 09:27 AM.

If Lightwave were open source could developers legally plunder Blender?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    If Lightwave were open source could developers legally plunder Blender?

.. i implore you to put your logic head on and maybe re read what you wrote with a clear view of exactly what you're hoping for.

if blender has a treasure chest of goodies you'd like to have/use...
    why not just use blender?

an open source lightwave is about as likely a proposition of that of an xsi open source will ever be....
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I had already decided several weeks ago that LW2020 would be my last ever upgrade.

I have the OD2019 tools which work with this version and my Octane V4 still works fine. I've given up on OTOY money train and now LW.

I think it is time for everyone to stop giving anymore money to this situation and neither VizRT or LW will hold the cards, WE will. We pay the money and upgrade dues, end of story.

It is time for the userbase to kill off this software. That doesn't mean we stop using the software we all have come to love, quite the opposite. We stick with what we have and we consolidate.

To go from Babylon 5 to this moment in time and to the version that we have now, many of us have more power, tools and creative expression than we could ever have imagined back then. It is time to be that guy/gal that utilises a software to it's absolute limit and functions, to explore and utilise every tool possible and make amazing from what we already have, which is more than we know what to do with half of the time.

Peace all................
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

If Lightwave were open source...
    I've witnessed many EOLs (with no real evidence we're in one now) and I see a lot of odd talk about going "open source". Where does this idea originate? When has this ever happened in a major application?

The groundless speculation of LW's future is bad enough. Let's not make it worse with open sourcing talk.

Open source has its place but its participants should have a solid understanding of what it means. Blender had it's own struggle to become OSS. It was only able to do so in its infancy. It's much harder for a mature app. Learn what GPL means and realize how silly blendermarket is.

Also, open source is not a license. LightWave is already open sourced among its developers.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-07-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

@ Marty3DGuru, I agree with your last main paragraph about being essentially spoiled for the 3D firepower we have - I was just going over parts of the Albee books and some of the images in the viewports are real artistic things of beauty....and we are talking LW7 !.

But:-
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    It is time for the userbase to kill off this software.
    Say what ? I honestly can't get on board with that sentiment. Is that supposed to inspire the devs, who we can see are just as vulnerable as anyone else ? Eg, I am sad that RebelHill tools are broken and he appears gone, but people wishing LW dies or is sold elsewhere should be really careful what they wish for.. I realise I may be in a very tiny minority, but I do go with Steve's "plucky little company" view and - if true - I think Cross did a great thing telling the other guys to walk....

Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast