Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

If that information is accurate, then I am quite upset and disappointed.
    We will see what develops, but as I go to bed tonight I'm feeling a lot like Private Hudson in Aliens, right after the drop ship touches down, and not in the way they hoped.

Hopefully someone can do something, or we as users can influence the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    bit doomey over there, still not so sure, could be speculation...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...4759863963327/

who is "simon coombs".. it reads VERY much like someone i already know but has a different real name.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    who is "simon coombs".. it reads VERY much like someone i already know but has a different real name.
    He is a LW user for many years... he's been making scripts for LW.... that is probably where you read his name...

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p.../simon-coombs/
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

It does frighten me a little, but read it another way - Lightwave is not for sale !

LW2020 continues to be sold, but resources are diverted during these "pandemic" times for the time being, and damn right Cross didn't want to lose those staff (again, during a "pandemic"). And I hope that third party was not Otoy, there is no way I want to see LW buried in their [email protected] licensing. If Cross didn't flinch with millions of dollars on the table, I'm actually quite impressed...

If this is true... which I do not take for granted, but IF this is true, then, it just shows how little NT really cared for LW and those that have been using it for more than 10 years and upgraded to every version. :/

That said... not sure this action will be a good one to do... I think it is better to email VizRT and be polite but constructive. Making their phonelines crash will just make matters worse...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    It does frighten me a little, but read it another way - Lightwave is not for sale !

LW2020 continues to be sold, but resources are diverted during these "pandemic" times for the time being, and damn right Cross didn't want to lose those staff (again, during a "pandemic"). And I hope that third party was not Otoy, there is no way I want to see LW buried in their [email protected] licensing. If Cross didn't flinch with millions of dollars on the table, I'm actually quite impressed...
    Your positivity is refreshing and very endearing.

As for myself, I feel shocked, even though I only use LW2015 to convert older scenes once or twice in a fortnight nowadays. LIghtwave was always "there" just in case it would be improved and if it had gotten a bit more love and caring from anyone but Newtek, I think it could have made a comeback. I would have returned to it, as I did at least three or four times in the past 30 years.

Weirdly enough I am reminded of when the Amiga was mismanaged into the ground by Commodore. So much potential, if only management had known how to play into that potential.
    Last edited by Rayek; 09-06-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post

Is..
    "but read it another way - Lightwave is not for sale !"
    open for our interpretation here? or was it a clear statement that Lightwave isnīt for sale.
    If it was a true fact that they had turned down the sales in the last minute, it can be a part of the business..waint for a better deal, or choosing another deal, option.

should we start to match dating now, maybe Unreal Lightwave, since they started some stuff with that lately and Cageman mentioned Lightwave having one of the better bridges there?
    And I for one had in my schedule to start working Unreal, so it could be ideal if they fuse together well, and I would also get my new forum
    Whatever interes Unreal would have or resources to do so, do not know.

Seems to me Lightwave would be a more fitting product line with unreal for instance, than all the tricaster stuff and vizrt tools today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Your positivity is refreshing and very endearing.

As for myself, I feel shocked, even though I only use LW2015 to convert older scenes once or twice in a fortnight nowadays. LIghtwave was always "there" just in case it would be improved and if it had gotten a bit more love and caring from anyone but Newtek, I think it could have made a comeback. I would have returned to it, as I did at least three or four times in the past 30 years.

Weirdly enough I am reminded of when the Amiga was mismanaged into the ground by Commodore. So much potential, if only management had known how to play into that potential.

I never swear, but in this case IF this turns out to be true, and VizRT prevents a third party to revive it and actually CARE about LW, then:

**** VizRT.
    I do not really see that as happening, especially since we seem to have devs now quitting, or if they were layed off..canīt say for sure though.
    But why keep on to an asset you can not use, and when you know you can get some profit for it with the sales?

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    If they are indeed shutting LW down, I hope they can do a last super cheap upgrade sale so I could upgrade my v8 version and keep the last one for posterity.
    If how this is coming down is true, NT/VizRT do not deserve your money. I would rather just hack the software.

But perhaps tomorrow the sun will come out, and all this is just a bad dream.

It's probably better if I stop posting now... Sorry for the bad vibes. Just feels like the end of an era. And stupidly enough I hardly used LW anymore these past few years, but emotionally there's still a connection which is unexpected and surprising to myself. I suppose that is why I linger around on these forums.

I really do hope that 3d party will still be able to cut a deal.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

To add more to the Fright Night.

If by any chance Otoy was in the bid, that could sound nice..but then we could probably expect prescription only for lightwave, which isnīt what most of us want.

Not sure which is worse of these Horrors, Fright Night this night, or Silence of the Newtek

Just killing LW makes zero sense from a financial standpoint. A sale to an outside organization makes the most sense and the longer the wait the less value it would have. Vizrt has no reason to keep it out of someone else's hands for fear of competing. And as for wanting to keep the coders left over for other projects- they'll probably leave as soon as they can line up other work anyway. So there is no logical reason for Vizrt to hold on to LW, so they should sell it ASAP.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    If how this is coming down is true, NT/VizRT do not deserve your money. I would rather just hack the software.

But perhaps tomorrow the sun will come out, and all this is just a bad dream.

It's probably better if I stop posting now... Sorry for the bad vibes. Just feels like the end of an era. And stupidly enough I hardly used LW anymore these past few years, but emotionally there's still a connection which is unexpected and surprising to myself. I suppose that is why I linger around on these forums.

I really do hope that 3d party will still be able to cut a deal.
    One could look at the pattern this way..if none of this was true, wouldnīt someone over there at newtek jump in and stop these rumours? or may it be that itīs still weekend so they simply donīt bother til this upcoming work week? or they simply havent gotten the puzzles finnished in the board room in order for them to make a proper statement on how itīs gonna turn out..which I actually think is the case here.

A sale to an outside organization makes the most sense and the longer the wait the less value LW would have. So it would be in Vizrt's best interest to unload it ASAP. There is no reason for them to keep the IP whatsoever.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Not sure which is worse of these Horrors, Fright Night this night, or Silence of the Newtek
    I think the War genre might be more apt, a choice between Cross of Iron, or Night of the Long Knives..

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Just killing LW makes zero sense from a financial standpoint. A sale to an outside organization makes the most sense and the longer the wait the less value it would have.
    Such corporate equity transfers are lengthy and costly, though, so that works against existing valuation as well: For example, if product's sell offer is $2M, but they know they'll spend $1M in salary, legal, and accounting fees during the transfer, tying up most of their legal/accounting resources as well, that seriously impacts the deal's upside to them. It depends highly on the percentage the costs will represent out of total valuation received (don't forget about liability transfer costs, either). Legal and financial complexity in international equity transfers also tend to be quite involved (read as even more lengthy/expensive) just due to additional number of legal domains involved, and the need for representation, etc. valid in all such domains.

It is entirely possible, quite plausible even, that killing LW makes more sense than selling it, from a financial standpoint.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-06-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast