Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Thanks for that Tim and i stand corrected.

Still not nice to see 3 devs and Andrew Comb all moving on from LW.
    I don't think Andrew Comb said he is "moving away" from LightWave though...

But yes... LightWave might finally truly become EOL... future will tell. That said, our licenses will still work, and I do not see myself stop using LW for things I know I can do fast with it. This is something I've been doing for many years and then transfered things over to tools like Houdini for rendering.

So, even if LWs EOL is today, I will still use it for many years to come.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Antti did the Shading system and GI. Mark Granger did the actual rendering engine. Here is a direct quote from Mark himself from his FB page.

"Antti, who is amazing, is the lead developer for the shading engine. It includes things like the sampling system, the GI, the volumetrics and, of course, the nodal shading. Antti has been in charge of this area since LW 9 was released with the introduction of Nodal. My area was the renderer itself. That is things like the ray intersections, the acceleration structures (both for the polygons and the primitive/objects), the edge intersections, the tiles, the multithreading model, the render buffers and the overall feature support of the renderer. I supported Antti's new shading system by making large changes to the new renderer as requested. Antti realized early on in the project that he could not implement the new shading system in the old LW renderer. Implementing the new one based on the VPR (which came from Core originally) was very time consuming and unfortunately not very exciting to talk about along the way. You would have seen it as more and more features supported by VPR in each new version. I had hoped to make the next version all about the renderer again and had recently been researching GPU ray tracing which looked like a sure thing to me."

As said here Antti was extremely valuable in the area of nodes and shading. Sad to see him go.
    Ya I think any future development is over for the render engine unless they were to do it on a temp contract basis as needed in the future.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, Stuart went to Apple, but Allen's still Head of Rendering at Foundry. It's also not solely about who leaves, but also who's hired -- Foundry's hired plenty of new Modo devs over the years as well, there's plenty of remaining Modo devs. As long as replacements are in place for a while before exits, turnover is normal.

In contrast, the last new dev visibly added to Lightwave devs was Jamil Halabi, and he didn't stay long. There's no evidence of new LW replacement devs already present and "caught up" to replace Antti, Jon, or Dave V (or even Jamil, Mark or Dave I, for that matter). Lightwave's dev staffing situation (numerous exits with no evidence of replacement hires, when there should be some) is quite different from, and more problematic than Modo's staffing (non-)situation.

If they're doing a dev house-cleaning, and rebuilding, more power to them (so long as they get rid of the management responsible as well). Usually the way those are carried out is a bit different, though: High-level mgmt. replacements typically come first, and drive the house-cleaning. There's little evidence yet supporting that as what's happening, but it could be the plan. Time will tell.

Jamil has never been part of the LightWave team. He's only sold Metamorphic to NewTek and helped them with the integration, that's it.
    He's never been part of the devs team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Ya I think any future development is over for the render engine unless they were to do it on a temp contract basis as needed in the future.
    Speculation: VizRT wants to make LightWave into the first stand-alone application with a fully integrated Unreal Engine. Making it the perfect solution for virtual production and realtime rendering.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Speculation: VizRT wants to make LightWave into the first stand-alone application with a fully integrated Unreal Engine. Making it the perfect solution for virtual production and realtime rendering.
    VizRt main 3D app (DCC, not real time) has always been Cinema 4D. I cannot think of any valid reason for them to replace it with LightWave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yeah coding a production ready rendering engine takes years - hardly something one would subcontract. Even integrating a 3rd party renderer would require somebody with Antti's knowledge and skill to couple with a shading system. All in all I think (unless they just quit for the heck of it as I've stated earlier) it looks like NT/Vizrt isn't interested in investing in LW. Typically you'd want to grow your dev group to add more function and features to your app to grow your user base - the backbone just doesn't seem to be there. I think the best we could hope for is a sale of the IP at this point to someone that sees value to it and wants to grow it. It is unique and still has great features for a decent price, in the right owners hands it could really shine.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 09-05-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by MannaTheBerserk View Post
    VizRt main 3D app (DCC, not real time) has always been Cinema 4D. I cannot think of any valid reason for them to replace it with LightWave.
    well, they own it, i think that is a valid reason.

to add, LightWave would be perfect for virtual environments. (Read > Mandalorian)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Andrew will never totally move away no doubt, he is the most LightWave guy i know, the fact that he as a beta tester and has now started a FB page for those transitioning to Blender, like himself speaks volumes in my opinion. Probably even more than the devs that have left.

Anyway here is what Andrew said.

So what is this then?

I'm moving to blender, and I thought I'd invite you to join me on my Journey. At this point I've not used Blender for more than a few minutes, but I've made my decision, and I will be moving over, slowly, while still working with LightWave.
    This site is meant for hardened LightWave Fans and users who want help moving to Blender, because many of us have been there so long we're institutionalised!
    There are many Blender forums out there, but it's huge and bewildering for noobs, so I thought I'd start by making a place just for us.

Seems pretty clear to me that he is planning to move away eventually.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    he is planning to move away eventually.
    Yep... but your initial post on the matter made it sound like he left LW with the developers who left, which is not true and I wanted to point that out.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by MannaTheBerserk View Post
    Cinema 4D is rental only and cost a lot of money... VizRT owns LightWave that has one of the better bridges to Unreal Engine among all DCC apps.... you make the connection...
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Yep... but your initial post on the matter made it sound like he left LW with the developers who left, which is not true and I wanted to point that out.
    Thanks for that Tim and i stand corrected.

Still not nice to see 3 devs and Andrew Comb all moving on from LW.

Well, it was not my intention to say he left when they did, if anyone got that impression then i am sorry. However, it was pretty damn close. I said they were all moving on, i did not say at the same time. Besides Andrew does not work for LW/NT he was a beta tester.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 09-05-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

To quote:

The new president, Laura Roslin in Battlestar Galactica...
    "the war is over, we lost, this is about survival"
    .... hence people moving to other options.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-battlestar-galactica-mary-mcdonnell.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	148621
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Indeed Steve and futureproofing yourself is the name of the game.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Yeah... I have Maya, LW, Motionbuilder and Houdini under my belt... Houdini is the one that I do not know enough about, unless you are asking for renderwrangling.

That said, I have never understood the notion of "lets leave" approach.... LW will serve me well for many years to come no matter what happens to NewTek or VizRT.

There are still people using LW2015 to great success, so.... LW will be dead for me when I can not use it anymore... and thankfully, I own the license to use it. No license servers, no online checkups... it just works.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Cinema 4D is rental only and cost a lot of money...
    Actually, you can still buy a perpetual license of Cinema4D, it's $3495 USD. From my understanding though, you don't get the latest bug fixes and when a major update is released for perpetual, it's more costly than it used to be. So that makes subscription appear to be the better option, with it being right around $720/yr. USD.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | Ryzen 7 3.7GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970/GeForce GTX1660
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M

Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast