Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    If you don't think this is the end of LW, think about it from a business perspective for Vizrt.

They buy NT and the video part of the business. Bundled with that is a an ageing piece of software that has struggled in recent times to keep up with the competition. It's used less and less in film and tv - it's not the giant of the industry it used to be. It has no marketing, doesn't want to do marketing and has no marketing team, it's only social media presence is from FB and current users (new and pro). I think Steve Burns is the only one I know that does Twitch - again, a user. It is a cost to Vizrt that will not be covered by the income generated from new seats and upgrades. It needs investment and it has staffing costs for the dedicated LW arm. Covid hits and that's put an even bigger strain on budgets and investment.

Then all of the LW devs are gone. Beta testers out of the picture. How do they intend to develop it on a skeleton crew. Answer, they don't.

IMO 2020 will be the last release of LW. Sad times.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    newtek = silence

... what's new!
    I understand that sentiment, and sympathize. It's been a long old haul, and I've been through most of it too, since LW 3.1. I've been told there is a move underway to integrate Lightwave staff into the larger org, but I can't offer any real insight on what this indicates in the larger context of this discussion.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Waves of light View Post
    ...IMO 2020 will be the last release of LW. Sad times.
    Even if this becomes a true statement in a few years when we might actually know for sure (because really...this doomsday talk is idiotic) I'm happy to have LW2020.

We might as well be discussing cabbages and kings at this point.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-04-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I understand that sentiment, and sympathize. It's been a long old haul, and I've been through most of it too, since LW 3.1. I've been told there is a move underway to integrate Lightwave staff into the larger org, but I can't offer any real insight on what this indicates in the larger context of this discussion.
    sounds pretty obvious to me

It certainly doesn't sound promising for lightwave. I suppose there are different ways to interpret the news that the lightwave staff will be integrated into the larger org (I mean it could be a management thing) but all but the most optimistic interpretations result in Lightwave as a supported product more or less ceasing to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    10 years for Matt? Wow, time flies
    ... Hell of an achievement in LW UI development in 10 years...

But millions of people are generally losing their jobs (ie no more disposable income and minimum basics at risk), and the TV and film industry from production to exhibition is quite disrupted, meaning a lot of artists are not getting hired, so surely new licenses of any software is the last thing on their minds. Many companies, large or small, are now tightening belts and shedding staff in fear of survival.

In context I ask rhetorically how many customers will Modo or 4D be picking up between now and Christmas ? So isn't LW just the same as anyone else ? Maybe it will just skip to LW2022, with the current situation being more about maintenance. Okay, hardly optimistic, but still....
    Last edited by TheLexx; 09-04-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    ... Hell of an achievement in LW UI development in 10 years...
    TBF - he could only work within the limitations of LW's ancient UI code. If the UI had been ported fully to QT (as it should have been done, years ago) then I'm sure he could have had more of an impact. As it is, he moved off the LW3DG a while ago - and works for NT's video division now AFAIK
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    It certainly doesn't sound promising for lightwave. I suppose there are different ways to interpret the news that the lightwave staff will be integrated into the larger org (I mean it could be a management thing) but all but the most optimistic interpretations result in Lightwave as a supported product more or less ceasing to exist.
    no one has said that from newtek or vizrt

speculation is just that.. could be any number of things
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    TBF - he could only work within the limitations of LW's ancient UI code. If the UI had been ported fully to QT (as it should have been done, years ago) then I'm sure he could have had more of an impact. As it is, he moved off the LW3DG a while ago - and works for NT's video division now AFAIK
    nah, its the absolute abysmal management of LW dev over the years, ignoring the userbase, alienating 3rd party and resulting in the the current status quo. Any idiot could see the forthcoming result.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-04-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    But millions of people are generally losing their jobs (ie no more disposable income and minimum basics at risk), and the TV and film industry from production to exhibition is quite disrupted, meaning a lot of artists are not getting hired, so surely new licenses of any software is the last thing on their minds. Many companies, large or small, are now tightening belts and shedding staff in fear of survival.

In context I ask rhetorically how many customers will Modo or 4D be picking up between now and Christmas ? So isn't LW just the same as anyone else ? Maybe it will just skip to LW2022, with the current situation being more about maintenance. Okay, hardly optimistic, but still....
    Well businesses do understand what plandemic and controlled demolition of society actually means. They must adjust accordingly. Artists were in similar situation at the very end of the Roman empire. I can agree that LW 2020 or maybe LW 2021 (if they are so far) will be the last for extended period of time.

Funny thing is that autocorrect on mac tried to correct plandemic to pandemic.. cccc

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    But millions of people are generally losing their jobs (ie no more disposable income and minimum basics at risk), and the TV and film industry from production to exhibition is quite disrupted, meaning a lot of artists are not getting hired, so surely new licenses of any software is the last thing on their minds. Many companies, large or small, are now tightening belts and shedding staff in fear of survival. In context I ask rhetorically how many customers will Modo or 4D be picking up between now and Christmas ? So isn't LW just the same as anyone else ? Maybe it will just skip to LW2022, with the general situation is about survival and maintaining at the moment. Okay, hardly optimistic, but still....
    Sure does play into blender's hands. Realistically, how do you compete with free? Maybe with better and more productive design, listening to and engaging end users, supporting 3rd party, hiring and retaining exceptional, motivated talent, empowering said talent, giving customers what they want; but what do us plebs know? :P
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Well businesses do understand what plandemic and controlled demolition of society actually means. They must adjust accordingly. Artists were in similar situation at the very end of the Roman empire. I can agree that LW 2020 or maybe LW 2021 (if they are so far) will be the last for extended period of time.

Funny thing is that autocorrect on mac tried to correct plandemic to pandemic.. cccc
    I've done my bit an tried to support them throughout the whole affair. As I have mentioned before, I feel I purchased the right to complain and maybe it keeps someone in a job? so all good.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-04-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    no one has said that from newtek or vizrt

speculation is just that.. could be any number of things
    Yes it could be any number of things, but very few of those things are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Waves of light View Post
    If you don't think this is the end of LW, think about it from a business perspective for Vizrt.

They buy NT and the video part of the business. Bundled with that is a an ageing piece of software that has struggled in recent times to keep up with the competition. It's used less and less in film and tv - it's not the giant of the industry it used to be. It has no marketing, doesn't want to do marketing and has no marketing team, it's only social media presence is from FB and current users (new and pro). I think Steve Burns is the only one I know that does Twitch - again, a user. It is a cost to Vizrt that will not be covered by the income generated from new seats and upgrades. It needs investment and it has staffing costs for the dedicated LW arm. Covid hits and that's put an even bigger strain on budgets and investment.

Then all of the LW devs are gone. Beta testers out of the picture. How do they intend to develop it on a skeleton crew. Answer, they don't.

IMO 2020 will be the last release of LW. Sad times.
    Lightwave could be around for a while yet but I get the feeling that Lightwave sales are directly impacting the development budget now. If they keep making cuts to the dev team eventually there wont't be a dev team. In the past Newtek probably invested in Lightwave development with hopes it would get a return on that investment in the future but that has likely changed. If LW sales go down then the management will cut staff so they are not spending more than what is being brought in. Also the move to integrate LW staff into the larger organization may in fact be a strategic move to save Lightwave and keep it's development going even if it is with a small team of developers.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 09-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast