Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1106

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I can chime in on that, but we are so many users, with so many views on what should and what not should be considered native.
    A poll would have to be extensive, or a special thread on it, that will go on for ever..even after Lightwave is no more...I am sure we then could discuss, it could have been native and not should be.
    Well, at least in the case of 3rdPower's PaintWeights, I think there's nigh-universal agreement that it brings sorely needed functionality to Layout. It's a special case because it's something many, MANY users have been begging Newtek to add natively for over a decade, and should have been addressed natively long ago.

For most others, yeah, I tend to agree, everyone will have different opinions.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-30-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Good elaborate on this matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Who said my plan is to stick with Lighwtave?
    If..is not me, you are adressing me, not if.

Maintaining the plugins better? in this case, None of these three holy subjects.
    Solution..first buy his plugins out.
    Then sell Lightwave to a more caring of that product company.
    Well, I did say "If one plans to stick with Lightwave". I was trying to be generic. Only you know your plans.

Looking at things from a worst case scenario:
    • Newtek/VizRT is done with Lightwave. They will continue to sell it, but there will be no further development/fixes.
    • Newtek/VizRT will not sell Lightwave to another company, for whatever reason.
    • There are various plug-ins that address some (many?) of the "opportunities for improvement" we all know and love. With these plug-ins, Lightwave will be as good as it's going to get.

I still see incredible stuff being done with Lightwave. People are still using film cameras, vinyl records are hip, and who wouldn't LOVE to go cruising in their very own '64 Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    I still see incredible stuff being done with Lightwave. People are still using film cameras, vinyl records are hip, and who wouldn't LOVE to go cruising in their very own '64 Mustang?
    Agree, good stuff can be done with LightWave and it has its Retro charm. Just doesn't compare to more modern applications in regards of efficiency and usability in many use cases.

In my case its collecting and playing vintage guitars, they just feel and sound better then most new instruments.

I arrived now. 68 pages is a lot. May anyone summarize what is happening with Lightwave today?
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Well, I did say "If one plans to stick with Lightwave". I was trying to be generic. Only you know your plans.

Looking at things from a worst case scenario:
    • Newtek/VizRT is done with Lightwave. They will continue to sell it, but there will be no further development/fixes.
    • Newtek/VizRT will not sell Lightwave to another company, for whatever reason.
    • There are various plug-ins that address some (many?) of the "opportunities for improvement" we all know and love. With these plug-ins, Lightwave will be as good as it's going to get.

Understood, but it comes across like a general assumption, while you could have asked, are you not going to stick with lightwave...something like that, just semantics..I am of course not offended by it ..so It doesnīt sound like that from me I can sometimes sound a little rude, or cold stating or something like that, but by no means is it intended to.

but otherwise if itīs an If, you sort of conclude that for those who decide to do that, thereīs every reason you may want to invest, and the question was sort of to me..I think

As for incredible stuff, sure people can tap in to Lightwaveīs strengths..but itīs a bit irrelevant to future development on the exact issues where things are a bit tricky or where it doesnīt keep up with modern workflow.

One thing that annoyed me with the newer tools, that was for instance, adding a null, entering itīs properties, changing to either volume or vdb or what you need to..where such workflow should have been taken in account when adding the tools, just add vdb and itīs already preset setup.
    Now Oliver Holtīz said that has been a part of his tools for ages, but Iīm not gonna spend a dime on such small workflow that should be there natively, I just switch software where when I add a vdb tool, it brings me up a requester and load the file, not all this workflow of adding null, going to properties and switch mode, then load the file etc.

You sort of get that basic setup for free as well within TurbulenceFD when adding a container, make fluid etc, we should have a setup for this with add vdb container, add primitive volume container etc..Natively, itīs just development not thinking from a user point of view and the UX implementation not good enough.

Lightwave is faster and more fun to use at the cellular "points, edges, polys" level* . Much like a Samurai sword.

But, you know, welcome to the age of nukes.

*with 3rd Powers, LWcad, Trueart...and Mike Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Lightwave is faster and more fun to use at the cellular "points, edges, polys" level* . Much like a Samurai sword.

But, you know, welcome to the age of nukes.

*with 3rd Powers, LWcad, Trueart...and Mike Wolf.
    Yes..sometimes, but sometimes not, depends on operation..sometimes bevel sucks, or rounding flat polys (impossible without plugins) or selecting every other poly while maintaining selection for extrusion.
    And sometimes itīs so much easier to select other things, copy and paste points, working on the layer panel etc..compared to blender for instance..from my perspective, also the focus on zooming on selections, weher you donīt have to drop your mouse or move your left hand over to the numeric panel to hit "," to zoom in..shift-A is better workflow for me, the hands are already near the buttons, sure could change shortcuts in blender as well though.

Yes..sometimes, but sometimes not, depends on operation..sometimes bevel sucks, or rounding flat polys (impossible without plugins) or selecting every other poly while maintaining selection for extrusion.
    And sometimes itīs so much easier to select other things, copy and paste points, working on the layer panel etc..compared to blender for instance..from my perspective, also the focus on zooming on selections, whether you donīt have to drop your mouse or move your left hand over to the numeric panel to hit "," to zoom in..shift-A is better workflow for me, the hands are already near the buttons, sure could change shortcuts in blender as well though.
    yup.

LightWave is the 40 year old guy at the race track.
    Blender is the 20 year old dude at the race track.

both with their pros/cons at the moment.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by silviotoledo View Post
    I arrived now. 68 pages is a lot. May anyone summarize what is happening with Lightwave today?
    ...well, I'm constructing a Culture orbital right now.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

I'm also a bit curious about this thread. I kept up with the first chunk but have been out of the loop. Has anything concrete been discovered or is it business as usual with the lack of information?

- LW development has stopped.
    - All LW developers have moved elsewhere.
    - some LW code (if any) might be moved to an alien app.

Deuce (last man standing) will leave NewTek in 1 month.

Last edited by erikals; 11-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Followed by release of LW2021 GPU Steroid Edition.
    I'll just pinch myself to be sure...

Thanks for the information Erikals. That was my fear after reading the first part of the thread. That seems to confirm it. I hope all the developers and Deuce find exciting well paying places to work with a bright future. I can't imagine I'll be able to learn a new app fast as I've been entrenched in LW since 2000 so I'm sure I'll be pounding out work in LW 2015 for years to come until I can figure something out.

Really appreciate the info, thanks again.

Ben

Registered User BackForRenderin's Avatar

So based on those events, it seems that the September 8 2020 "Lightwave Statement" from Vizrt stating "we continue to sell and support LW3D" actually meant that they only intended to support LW3D for a few months only, if at all ?

I purchased the 2020 upgrade a couple of weeks after that statement was released, thinking this may be a dead end as far as new features/versions, but at least if I run into any bugs, they will release bug fix patches.

I realize that the September 8 statement was vague on many things, but if all the LW developers have moved and Deuce is leaving, then in order to "support" LW they should have staff replacing them, otherwise the statement is full of misleading spin.

"we have every intent to continue to keep it available and support it"
    "our immediate focus is on supporting the adoption of this latest version"
    "Q: Will we still support our customers/channels that own LightWave 3D? A: Yes"

For what it's worth our company just purchased upgrades to LW2020.
    Tim Parsons

Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast