Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    ... the reason the facebook group became a gravitational force was because we offered what NT didn't " no offence Sbowie, that comment was meant to denigrate your effort ...
    I'm not really into the book of faces (I'd as soon jog into a brick wall), but I'm sure you're correct; and no offense taken.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I use file hamster. It recently got an update and is fantastic.

http://www.filehamster.com/

cloud based or regular HDD based ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

regular HDD but nvme drives now. fast

hm,
    never heard of...
    https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=nvme+drives

needs a read

-----------

edit; ok, did read about it, crazy price vs storage, so still SATA for most of us i believe
    Last edited by erikals; 09-05-2020 at 08:25 AM.

regarding sata, enjoying latest 1tb Samsung ssds. excellent.

so is it known for sure that lw is dead or is fb and andrew c flipping out for no reason?

does anyone have anything definitive? i can see bob h is still
    head of 3d so would there be a possibility that dev is now spread across the org instead of in a small team?
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-05-2020 at 08:41 AM.

He's not flipping out, he just wanted to start a new FB group specifically for those transitioning to Blender from Lightwave. He said he's not abandoning LW, but adding Blender to his tools. After that the run on the bank started due to rumors and complete lack of actual information from Newtek. As usual. How often have we seen the rumor mill run rampant because of Newtek's silence? You'd think they'd have seen what happened to their user base because of a lack of even a little bit of communication, but it's obvious with as many years as this has been going on that they just don't care. Lightwave has become the ignored stepchild it seems. In the mean time, this ad was on my facebook feed. When's the last time they did something like this for Lightwave? Never, as far as I can remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newtek-ad.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	148617

Considering Andrew comb has been very involved with lightwave and knows a lot of the dev team Personally, I doubt he is making the decision to “diversify” lightly. He certainly isn’t doing it gladly, the tone is a painful but necessary transition. This new support group on Facebook has much more in common with a trauma survivors support group than a software support group. Sure, people are drawing their own conclusions from the news that lightwave is losing a few developers (and according to Steve Bowie, the ones remaining will be “integrated” into the larger org) but it’s not as though the conclusions people are making are unreasonable. How many more staunch advocates can lightwave afford to lose?

yep, it is what it is....

hopefully they make the thing open source. community would do a better job anyway. several blind chimps in a bag could run a company better than nt management, it seems.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-05-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Considering Andrew comb has been very involved with lightwave and knows a lot of the dev team Personally, I doubt he is making the decision to “diversify” lightly. He certainly isn’t doing it gladly, the tone is a painful but necessary transition.
    One of the fb group users asked Andrew directly about his decision to suddenly do this:

I would be very interested to know your reasoning Andrew Comb. I understand why people use Blender and why not, but i would be interested to know why you are moving to Blender. Has there been some official announcment from NT yet. PM me if need be to answer.
    Andrew's answer:

unfortunately, either way, the answer would be the same. I'm bound by nda.
    However I'm not bound by nda from spontaneously starting a blender group for ex lightwavers, despite being one of the most pro-lightwave die hards on the planet.
    Indeed and that is why your choice speaks volumes about LW.
    Well, that says it all, really. Andrew knows something which he is not allowed to share, but his action speaks for itself.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

That was me.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

so VizRT is taking an AutoDesk Softimage on us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    One of the fb group users asked Andrew directly about his decision to suddenly do this:

Andrew's answer:

Well, that says it all, really. Andrew knows something which he is not allowed to share, but his action speaks for itself.
    Well I guess that is a pretty good indication. I'm pretty sure Lewis was on the beta team as well and he has continued to carry on as if nothing significant is happening behind the scenes. I'm sure he is under NDA as well. It might also be a matter of interpretation for each person. Some beta testers and Lightwave users had or have hopes that Lightwave would eventually be something much better than it is currently but when it becomes clearly apparent that it will never happen due to some major changes then they move on. It's possible that Lightwaves development might not stop entirely and will still proceed only as needed to keep it running and supported with the dev team being significantly cut and reduced going forward only to maintain what's already there much like http://www.eias3d.com/ has been for some time now.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 09-05-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Thank's Rayek, but Andrew bound by an NDA to whom (since I wasn't aware he works for NT) ? Having said that, I'm going to back everything up in next couple of days. Might explain Rebelhill's "disappearance" too.

I hope that no news is good news, in keeping with the NT's (ahem) neutrality of announcements. But to see users to aspire from the Emmy award winning shows of the past to....Andrew Price's donut tutorial is quite a thing to witness, and on the thirteith anniversary of LW too (!). Let's hope some good comes out of this.

Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast