Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    reading it again i see a regular LightWave is out the window.

oh well.

guess it was true this time.

with the statement they gave, only a fool would recommend you to buy LightWave 2020 now.

LightWave = abandonware.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=abandonware
    I wouldnīt give a final judgement like that, but it sure isnīt sounding very good..probably just that they are very unsure, confused about the product Lightwave, and perhaps they have neither a no to go, or yes to go idea of it yet, and perhaps also
    with the corona situation that is the only thing they can say.

For me though, I can not continue to accept that kind of lack of transparency, while other tools offer so much more transparency, it all just cements my feelings that I should continue with my redirected focus elsewhere.
    Maybe my perspectives on it all is up the roof so to speak, maybe I havenīt been in the same waters as any major CEO or company leaders, but I am still dazed of how they ever can communicate with such ambigous statements towards their customers, and potentional new customers, they must be aware of what kind of damage it does to trusting a company and furthermore what kind of rumours it will spawn that Simply not will give any attraction value for potential clients.

I can give them a certain credit though for trying to comment in this and calm things down, but how it was communicated is so cryptic and avoiding in its message that you can not but be other than suspecious around the future development.
    It is very possible they have too few developers and ideas, and need to land in where to put Lightwave in to the Vizrt productline..that they simply can not say that much about the current development.

That said, perhaps they get their tools together, new coders, new ideas..corona and wildfires not roaming the country, and a future with a new fresh even better Lightwave is possible, thereīs always that, but I think I am leaving these lands of trust and upgrading and support sales from them for quite some time, though I will still becontinuing to use Lightwave when there is something to be inspired by.

You could also read it as, we are going to incorporate our video tech into LW.
    Who knows........
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    My interpretation of this is that they may be stopping development on Lightwave at least for the time being until they figure out what they want to do with the product. . It seems as if they are undecided on what to do with the product or could be in store for it's future. .
    in august they lost 2 main developers
    ... newtek have had no developer for modeller for what now? 6-8 years?
    now no render developer either...

the press release said nothing of anything new or even any people working for Lighwave...

for all intents and purposes Lightwave sits quite nicely along side Carrara3d, Bryce 3d and Hexagon 3d
    STILL for sale
    no development
    o/s bug fixes only.

this is how i see lightwave in 2021
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daz.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	148650
    Last edited by cresshead; 09-08-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

"Q: Will development continue on this product?
    A: We have just released LightWave 3D 2020, which has been well received by the market and our immediate focus is on supporting the adoption of this latest version. As a company (and like most companies) we do not talk about our development and future plans for our products."

the fact that the answer to this most basic question was not a clear yes should be taken as a BIG warning. Yes, they will still answer support emails and they may even fix some bugs, and, hey, that's not nothing, but what is to keep Lightwave from dying on the vine if they won't commit to further development? its not like third party developers are standing in line to write tools.

there is no sanctuary....
    They may be looking at it to put in the pipeline in the same way LW started, software for the Toaster.

There is a sickness with many of you people, waiting with such glee to dance on a grave. There's new group on Facebook waiting for you.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    SO LET HIM KNOW ALL THE PAIN USERS ARE GOING THROUGH & ASK HIM TO POST ABOUT THIS IN THE FORUMS, HE OWES US THIS "!
    What do you think the chances are that he is unaware? So if he made the calculated determination to keep schtumm for the moment for his own good reasons, what are the chances that I'm going to change his mind?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

there is no sanctuary....
    Glad to see they still have interest in it, time to go back to work while the death-dealers talk it down.

Thanks VizRT for putting something out there.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Who knows........
    You could also read into it that "now we are going to properly develop Lightwave."

To me the answer to everybody's concerns is - did they (the 3 devs) quit or get fired.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    To me I do not see they did a statement they consider Lightwave as part of their future, that is not what they really say, they just recognize their recent sales and itīs importance, for future development they say absolutely nothing, that is mention in two paragraphs, including a direct answer to.."will they continue to develop lightwave" where the answer is neither no or Yes.

Supporting it is a bit different from developing, they can at least reveal that, but makes sure they have an opening for something around development, add to that the fact they are bringing the LW team to be a part of their global product line, and what that possibly could mean for the LW development.

So No...I donīt have a good feeling about that communication, though it was good they said something, while not really being transparent about it.
    I simply loath people being ambigous, as well as a company and itīs leader having such policy approach, it never instills any trust personally or for me as a customer.
    How many development road maps can you point me to? Vizrt is integrating Lightwave into their existing product line, whatever that means.

Yes, corporate vagueness is a PITA. Judge them by their actions, not their words.

I ran Windows 7 on my old PC for approximately 10 years, and Microsoft put out patches and fixes until just a few months before my old PC died, long after there was Windows 10. Vizrt is not as big as Microsoft, but until there's an actual EOL date, why not keep going?

Newtek could take its sweet time putting out bug fix releases. Vizrt can't be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    The interface.
    oh i loved this reply!

For all intents and purposes Lightwave sits quite nicely along side Carrara3d, Bryce 3d and Hexagon 3d
    STILL for sale
    no development
    o/s bug fixes only
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Who knows........
    Itīs not fair and honest to customers, they are placing options to cover themself from whatever action they need to take, or to cover the fact that they are themself
    not sure where it is heading currently...which is sort of the position I suspect they are in right now.

Usually if you have a product line that is good enough and doing well, you do not have to introduce such
    ambigous statements for wether or not it is developed ..or is developed, it just prays on customers lack of knowledge and their desires.

As for the ambigous sentence, and your own desire to project it as .."they are going to incorporate their video tech in to LW"
    The very least they could have done is to state .."we are looking for ways to enhance Lightwave with our other productlines" if they donīt want to reveal exactly what tech they will mix,
    and not incorporating Lw staff in to their other product lines.

To me, I get a sense of just using Lighwave to extract parts in to the other product line, and not the other way around.
    But thatīs me, and since the way how they communicate is ambigous, there you go.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't have time in the day to jump back and forth between a bunch of threads all basically discussing the same thing. I appreciate the attempt to start a new thread with a more positive title, but in fairness to all I'm just going to rename this one to something more apropos ....
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    How many development road maps can you point me to? Vizrt is integrating Lightwave into their existing product line, whatever that means.

Yes, corporate vagueness is a PITA. Judge them by their actions, not their words.

I ran Windows 7 on my old PC for approximately 10 years, and Microsoft put out patches and fixes until just a few months before my old PC died, long after there was Windows 10. Vizrt is not as big as Microsoft, but until there's an actual EOL date, why not keep going?

Newtek could take its sweet time putting out bug fix releases. Vizrt can't be worse.
    Did I mention "road map" ? where?

I said bluntely that they could state something like "yes we will continue to develop lightwave" But Nada on that..since they are bound to their policy to even deny direct questions on that..yet that is very very sparse in terms on discussing development, it is the base position of everything that follows.
    As for other developments, both blender and houdini doesnīt have such policy and can directly go in and say, yes we are currently working on this or that.

Vizrt and newtek is (most likely) just cooking up a new soup of speculations that is damaging to their company with the help of this policy or ambigous sentences in their communications.
    Great they said something at least, it will proably ensure trust in some people..but allowing for other interpretations..and in my case it isnīt good enough for me.

Itīs their choice, you either have to accept it or look for something else trustworthy, itīs their right to choose customer communication and businessmodel, as well as the customer has rights to choose another product..if not
    satisfied, thereīs not really much to it that that..and once decided, you could spend less energy complaining on a product or the company communication if you choose another product...that is fair, so I should really stop engaging much more now, the eggs of communication and uncertainty was just cooking recently and thatīs why I engaged, but I need to take turn off the stove now

I am not sure if they do customer satisfaction surveys and such? if it perhaps is better to write a letter to vizrt/newtek staff that deals with it.. instead of posting my perception as a customer here?
    Surely they must have an interest in how customer is responding to them as a company and their trust in them.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    For all intents and purposes Lightwave sits quite nicely along side Carrara3d, Bryce 3d and Hexagon 3d
    STILL for sale
    no development
    o/s bug fixes only
    Exactly so, with a side of "and be glad we let LW2020 even happen", as if that mess is some kind of favor to customers.

This is the only scenario their ACTIONS actually fit.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast