Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    millennials
    Yes, it is strange, its not like Blender is a new app it's almost as old as LW. I suppose its the free thing. For years in the dark and now gaining some traction.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untstar2itled-2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	148624
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

You would think that with all the conversations going on here and on Facebook, that one person who works for VizRT/Newtek would say something, the Lightwave community deserves that as least.

If VizRt/Newtek does stop the development of Lightwave you would think it would only go 2 ways, either sell it to another company to keep developing or make it open source like Blender.

Either way i hope they put us all straight soon.

gofundme?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    gofundme?
    go fund who exactly?

people already 'fund' newtek.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

they actually did something similar to Blender, before that, it was a paid app.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by tony6 View Post
    You would think that with all the conversations going on here and on Facebook, that one person who works for VizRT/Newtek would say something, the Lightwave community deserves that as least.

If VizRt/Newtek does stop the development of Lightwave you would think it would only go 2 ways, either sell it to another company to keep developing or make it open source like Blender.

Either way i hope they put us all straight soon.
    It would take them at least a week to put a formal statement together as to what is going on if they do it at all.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

The lack of response could be planned. Maybe they're watching to see how their customers respond, so that they know if it is worth continuing to develop and support LightWave.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The lack of response could be planned. Maybe they're watching to see how their customers respond, so that they know if it is worth continuing to develop and support LightWave.
    Maybe your right. Then they can EOL LightWave and blame us, would not be surprised at all.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

If vizRT/NT were prepared to put it on github or at least make it open source it would need a lead to take charge of it. I would suggest if they were interested Tim Jenison, or even more out there Brad Peebler, depending on what they are doing now. In that respect a GoFundMe page or some such support would be a good idea. Just me spitballing.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    If vizRT/NT were prepared to put it on github or at least make it open source it would need a lead to take charge of it. I would suggest if they were interested Tim Jenison, or even more out there Brad Peebler, depending on what they are doing now. In that respect a GoFundMe page or some such support would be a good idea. Just me spitballing.
    I doubt either of those guys would be interested since Brad left Lightwave long ago to make Modo and has since left Modo to pursue other interests. Tim Jenison would likely not be interested either since he left Lightwave with Newtek when he left.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I think most of you are not looking at this from a viable business prospective. LW is behind in tech and they now don't have the manpower or talent to bring LW back to its former glory. I was originally attracted to LW because it was easier to use compare to the competition and had one of the best render engines on the market. Today, that is not true anymore. The easiest program to use is probably C4D (with best adobe compatibility), the best animation program is Maya, the best FX program is Houdini, the best general application is now Max, and the best entry/free program is Blender. So what does LW now do that is so much better than the competition that everyone must add to their pipeline? The only thing keeping it going is the old users that invested a lot of time and money into the program, but new users will rarely move over to it unless they get a job at a Lightwave studio. There are just simply better and/or more affordable options out there.

Keep in mind Maya and Max have indie programs at $250 a year now, Houdini has a 399 indie program for 2 years, Blender is completely free, and C4D have 30% off sales regularly.

If Vizrt chooses to invest in LW now, they would need to find new developers who are willing to spend 6 months to 1 year learning how LW code works, then they can plan and build new tools, which will take another year. Keep in mind another year refining tools. That's a 3-year process starting today to build a competent tool in LW. That's a death sentence unless they have developers in place building tools in the pipeline. It looks like they don't have that. From this point, LW is essentially starting over. If they do plan to start over, it will take a good 3-5 years to see any significant progress at a loss to the company. Sorry, it just doesn't make any financial sense. If LW were to survive, they had 2 chances in the past, which is to let Core finish or let Rob finish. At this point, they are restarting when the market is at it's toughest point with Blender being the baseline program to beat. It won't be easy to beat free with its progress lately. The other options it is to have some kinda competitive innovation that is exclusive to LW. I doubt they have that with the downsizing, otherwise, they would be adding more people to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I called you an Idiot becase you didn't read what I wrote and put words into my mouth...
    A little restraint, please.. Use similar language again, and I'll be calling you something ("moderated").
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Well, i will continue to use LW and especially modeler for some time to come. I will learn Blender for the things i need but modeling will be done in LW. Well until Win 10 breaks it no doubt. Actually, in a way it's good that the modeler did not get some much love, it means that many old plugins still work and we still have LScript.

Of course, this could all be a moot point as we actually do not know what is happening officially to LW.

I tend to avoid most Blender forums, its like dealing with Apple fanboys much of the time, the funny thing is i know a few who are ex LW users.
    Itīs a learning curve to enter and behave "correct" in there..and it differs in some ways from these forums in terms of the peoples mindset, and it isnīt directly a surprise that many of those with more tolerance over there is former Lightwave users or both blender & Lightwave users, with the exception for a few former very disappointed Newtek customers.

One really have to be careful of how you discuss differences between various software in there at the blender forums, right now I havenīt visited that forum for quite a while, I am still more active here for the moment but not so much talk about Lightwave, but itīs another matter and not about the current tone in there.
    Andrew Combs facebook..canīt jump on to his group since I do not use facebook, will have to engage with him on the blender forums in such case.

In these forums, I have pretty much given up on engaging in anything related to Lightwave development or this software VS that software(at least thatīs what I try to follow but may not always be able to keep, a slight backlash on the thread topic of office and vector design tools, at least no lw VS that topic)
    Occasionally I am jumping in to maintain the english language and help out if there is some task I know something about, and perhaps comment on artwork or some other worthly matters of interest

The above helps me avoiding spending too much time on this forum ..so I got more time over for other things now than before, and it doesnīt drain my own energy that much with discussions on how it will turn out ..since we will find out sooner or later anyway, or never..at which point it is meaningless anyway, it was more of a difference when I had more plans for how to use Lightwave and payed for the upgrade, as that is no longer much of a case, I shouldnīt bother that much about it..previously I could use more communication from Newtek and the ol famous roadmap, that isnīt the case anymore.

I will probably try and pick up some Lightwave motivation when winter kicks in..o early next year..if I get any, purely dependent on my time, and perhaps what more they have implemented, and same goes for blender which I havenīt used much either lately.

In Sweden, you simply do not smile and look the swedes in the eye and say hi, not unless you can verify they are drunk .
    We have it seems.... a bit of a strange etiquette, and we often want things quiet, and not loud, except for when we are drunk of course.

The disappointed LW users on the Blender Forums ive spoken to a few times.

I just found to many of them to be a little preachy for my tastes. As soon as they found out you used this or this software before, its like, well they were all wrong, this is the way it is and don't argue with us. They talk about Blender like it came out 4 years ago, not remembering its been around almost as long as LW and for many years was a joke.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast