Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Yep... game cards can now use full 3D acceleration when remote desktoping. Citrix did not have that limitation, but Citrix is far from perfect.

My workstation at work has a Quadrocard installed, so I wasn't affected by WFH at all. But good call on NVidia to help people.
    Again, using remote desktop can but does not mean working in a VM.

You can use remote desktop to a physical hardware (as you mentioned your workstation), that's different from using a GPU passthrough from a VM Host (ESX, Citrix etc) system to a VM.

And using passthrough brings its own limitations (it did so far), for example not working with vMotion which can be a blocker for large organisations.
    Last edited by Marander; 09-05-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I NEVER said that. Are you blind? I said that LW has one of the better ones among all DCC tools....

Idiot!

EDIT: And you are defending a software that cost more / year to uphold than LW. And LW isn't even ransom-ware...
    Unbelievable that people can not recognize that everyone can read things wrong, and then meet them here with such derogatory comments at the same community users of lightwave are using... with these kind of replies as you did here.

Uncalled for, unnecessary...if you think that, keep it to yourself and maintain the very first words to explain yoursef, that is all you had to do to get your point across.

If LW is not developed further, its UE bridge is basically worthless for newer UE releases (individual user might keep using older UE versions). As opposed to have the native file format in UE or Unity like for other DCC applications.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Unbelievable that people can not recognize that everyone can read things wrong..
    Yeah thanks Prom, its ok, he doesn't know me so I can't be bothered. In the end he's the one working in the industry.

By the way, I didn't mean to put words in his mouth when I wrote "LWs UE bridge is not better then others".

That is just my opinion and I also explained why.

Maybe phrased the wrong way or not necessary to comment at all. I also said its a good implementation. Maybe I should rephrase "Yes, LWs UE bridge is good and a great move by NewTek but I think there are better implementations".

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yeah thanks Prom, its ok, he doesn't know me so I can't be bothered. In the end he's the one working in the industry.

By the way, I didn't mean to put words in his mouth when I wrote "LWs UE bridge is not better then others".

That is just my opinion and I also explained why.

Maybe phrased the wrong way or not necessary to comment at all. I also said its a good implementation. Maybe I should rephrase "Yes, LWs UE bridge is good and a great move by NewTek but I think there are better implementations".

Doesnīt matter if he knows you or not, neither of it justifies that kind derogatory comments in these forums..not even if he is a Technical supervisor director working in the industry and have this "Status" position... it just makes it even more awkward with someone appearing to have the "Right" to do that.

His industrial knowledge of technology And credibility, is a different matter than the issue on how to communicate with respect.

And it certainly doesnīt make the forum attractive to be in, that is why there are some forum rules to avoid stuff like that, if these forum no longer is as vibrant as it was before, itīs even more crucial than before that it can maintain being vibrant at least when we talk to eachother..Even though One may get frustrated of people not perceiving what you have written properly...itīs so easy to avoid by at least trying to clarify than judging someone with disrespect, such persons is not a person I would like to be around or work with.

None of us is perfect in reading others posts.. or writing our own formulations, if somebody thinks that and put himself up there on a piedestal and kicking down..for the sake of an argument, either that person have a momentary frustration or a more serious problem with how to adress people around you.

Your fine, the climate in the forum is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman

Idiot!

EDIT: And you are defending a software that cost more / year to uphold than LW. And LW isn't even ransom-ware...
    I'm not defending any software, I write what I have experienced in LW and other apps.

Cost? I don't mind paying if I get something great, fun to use and efficient that works fully offline and independent from activation servers.

Also, I mentioned that I lost interest in future versions and I will not upgrade again with the new licensing. How am I defending it?

No luckily LW is not ransom-ware.

Oh since you proudly work for Ubisoft... Is there not a certain software called UPlay...

... which has prevented countless users from playing their purchased games in the past (new games not supporting offline mode, offline mode no longer working after update, login issues, UPlay servers outages etc)?

... Oh and was there not the Ubisoft Subscription Service introduced last year? Sounds familiar...
    Last edited by Marander; 09-05-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    If LW is not developed further, its UE bridge is basically worthless for newer UE releases (individual user might keep using older UE versions). As opposed to have the native file format in UE or Unity like for other DCC applications.
    it might work but realistically it’s likely to stop working.

Shake things up. Make Lightwave open source. Revitalize Lightwave and make it a marketing asset for Vizrt.

Cageman, no name calling.

Shake things up. Make LightWave open source.
    i wish, but from what i read elsewhere it is difficult since it contains lots of code that can't be released.
    how true that is, not sure.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

It's a shame the Blender community are so unprofessional and culty in terms of tactful posting.

Regularly ignore forum rules then get all indignant and gaslighty when called out.

I'll try to make due with Max before moving to Blender. Also, I don't see me giving up Modeler with LWCAD and 3rd Powers any time soon.

I am not thrilled with the way this all went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Shake things up. Make Lightwave open source. Revitalize Lightwave and make it a marketing asset for Vizrt.
    that would cost time, money and staffing... what is in i for vizart who have made lightwave all but 'invisible" on their website.
    they are a video company who bought another video company.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Regarding this VM thing, I'm sure Cageman is doing excellently with his work setup supported by top of the range GPUs, servers and highly skilled techs. However, I can give a personal example that might be more typical of the average LW user.

I just built a new Hackintosh installed with Catalina, (i7 32Gig, RX 580 8Gig), and as an experiment, I installed the demo of Parallels, (default settings) and a VM High Sierra to run my old LW11.6. Compared to my old Hack running High Sierra natively, (and with seven year old hardware), virtualized LW runs about 10-25% slower loading and manipulating high poly models, and 50%-ish slower rendering. It's still useable, but clunky.

Just the facts, Ma'am. ;-)
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

I was thinking, since Vizrt already abandoned Lightwave, they have little to lose by giving the code to the community and letting Kelly take charge.

But, yes, I agree that is unlikely and might not benefit them at all. Vizrt is a business and need to put their interests first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    It's a shame the Blender community are so unprofessional and culty in terms of tactful posting.

Regularly ignore forum rules then get all indignant and gaslighty when called out.

I'll try to make due with Max before moving to Blender. Also, I don't see me giving up Modeler with LWCAD and 3rd Powers any time soon.

I am not thrilled with the way this all went down.
    millennials

Well, i will continue to use LW and especially modeler for some time to come. I will learn Blender for the things i need but modeling will be done in LW. Well until Win 10 breaks it no doubt. Actually, in a way it's good that the modeler did not get some much love, it means that many old plugins still work and we still have LScript.

Of course, this could all be a moot point as we actually do not know what is happening officially to LW.

I tend to avoid most Blender forums, its like dealing with Apple fanboys much of the time, the funny thing is i know a few who are ex LW users.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast