Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

And for Mac users it's a bit tricky too — Apple generally supports hardware well enough (8 year old computers are still upgradable, and older operating systems still get a few security updates), but new hardware won't run older MacOS versions. For example, the only way to use an eGPU is with newer hardware (the device needs to support Thunderbolt 3) and a newer OS (Catalina), a combination that means I can't even dual-boot an old OS to use Lightwave as a backup.
    Last edited by Iaian7; 09-05-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - tutorials

Without developers any software becomes dead. But as I stated earlier we still don't know if this is a downsizing by NT or just a few of the devs being pissed off as to their current work status imposed by their superiors and quitting. Either way though it can't be good.
    Tim Parsons

So anyway lets just all hope that this is all just speculation and that LW continues and gets better. 3 devs left but who knows what may or may not be announced in the coming weeks.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Without developers any software becomes dead. But as I stated earlier we still don't know if this is a downsizing by NT or just a few of the devs being pissed off as to their current work status imposed by their superiors and quitting. Either way though it can't be good.
    I'm going to lean to towards the side of downsizing and cutting costs for whatever reason. Maybe not enough upgrades or new licenses are being sold so it might have finally come to the point they no longer have the budget to support a dev team of that size so decisions have to be made.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    The problem will not be LW working, it will be LW working with your current OS. LW is a bit flakey with current Win 10, and Win 10 is an ongoing thing, so in a years time who is to say.
    Yes, an update to Win 10 nooked the Hub for some users in LW2018 series but got fixed in the 2019 series.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Downsizing is a logical assumption im sure. However with the still ongoing problems of the renderer not always working correctly, seems strange to get rid of Antti as he was the guy most involved with the renderer if i recall.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Thing is erikals, it is down to Microsoft activation servers still being operational for Windows 7, so taking a disc image will only be as good as the hardware if the servers go down...
    Windows activation is not an issue. These virtual machines work for 90 days. At that point you can re-arm or restore the original VM for another 90 days.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

Or, if you have an active Windows license on real hardware, there are tools to convert it to a VM to live forever. VMs are nice because you can sandbox them from modern security threats.

There is always a way to keep software running. I have 20-40 year-old emulated systems on my USB thumb drive. When nostalgia comes (or the need to revive an old project), I am ready to go.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Downsizing is a logical assumption im sure. However with the still ongoing problems of the renderer not always working correctly, seems strange to get rid of Antti as he was the guy most involved with the renderer if i recall.
    yes, could be they are coming to their senses and are implementing Cycles.... but highly doubt it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

However with the still ongoing problems of the renderer not always working correctly, seems strange to get rid of Antti as he was the guy most involved with the renderer if i recall.
    Antti did the Shading system and GI. Mark Granger did the actual rendering engine. Here is a direct quote from Mark himself from his FB page.

"Antti, who is amazing, is the lead developer for the shading engine. It includes things like the sampling system, the GI, the volumetrics and, of course, the nodal shading. Antti has been in charge of this area since LW 9 was released with the introduction of Nodal. My area was the renderer itself. That is things like the ray intersections, the acceleration structures (both for the polygons and the primitive/objects), the edge intersections, the tiles, the multithreading model, the render buffers and the overall feature support of the renderer. I supported Antti's new shading system by making large changes to the new renderer as requested. Antti realized early on in the project that he could not implement the new shading system in the old LW renderer. Implementing the new one based on the VPR (which came from Core originally) was very time consuming and unfortunately not very exciting to talk about along the way. You would have seen it as more and more features supported by VPR in each new version. I had hoped to make the next version all about the renderer again and had recently been researching GPU ray tracing which looked like a sure thing to me."

As said here Antti was extremely valuable in the area of nodes and shading. Sad to see him go.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Antti did the Shading system and GI. Mark Granger did the actual rendering engine. Here is a direct quote from Mark himself from his FB page.

"Antti, who is amazing, is the lead developer for the shading engine. It includes things like the sampling system, the GI, the volumetrics and, of course, the nodal shading. Antti has been in charge of this area since LW 9 was released with the introduction of Nodal. My area was the renderer itself. That is things like the ray intersections, the acceleration structures (both for the polygons and the primitive/objects), the edge intersections, the tiles, the multithreading model, the render buffers and the overall feature support of the renderer. I supported Antti's new shading system by making large changes to the new renderer as requested. Antti realized early on in the project that he could not implement the new shading system in the old LW renderer. Implementing the new one based on the VPR (which came from Core originally) was very time consuming and unfortunately not very exciting to talk about along the way. You would have seen it as more and more features supported by VPR in each new version. I had hoped to make the next version all about the renderer again and had recently been researching GPU ray tracing which looked like a sure thing to me."

As said here Antti was extremely valuable in the area of nodes and shading. Sad to see him go.
    Thanks for that Tim and i stand corrected.

Still not nice to see 3 devs and Andrew Comb all moving on from LW.

I can understand in the current if they have to downsize or reorganize, but it's not like LW was top-heavy with devs anyway.

Well we will see what happens next year, if there even is a next year for LW.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Could anyone please help me to dig in to how the LICENSE.LWK works, in the sense that I seem to have quite a lot of them in my account - some are for upgrades but others are for different Product Locks yet every single one seems to be called LICENSE.LWK and I have never previously done such a mass download.

Are they like a text file or some programming thing ? Is it a crime to rename them so I can recognise better, or will that ruin their function ?

I just renamed them, you can always change it but at least there won't be any mixups later on.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

me right now...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue pill.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	148620
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

If LW 2020 was the product of X number of developers, I fear what that means for any potential future release if they remain three developers down.

Should they decide that LW is EOL, I hope that VizRT will respect the user base enough to announce it instead of continuing to remain silent and squeeze out the last remaining sales from a dead product.
    Last edited by devin; 09-05-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast