Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Thinking about it, how many LW users who would update to the latest version would there be at this point?
    The latest version which often fails to render altogether, and for which render dissolve is utterly broken (among a legion of other serious basic defects)?

For starters, because upgrading to something significantly less functional/capable than what you already have isn't an "upgrade". LW2018 represent an IMMENSE loss of functionality (and compatibility) compared to LW2015, and then both LW2019 and LW2020 continued further, breaking yet more significant quantities of existing LW functionality, while like LW2018 themselves offering only small added chunks of flawed (and typically, broken) "new functionality".
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

That runaway train on Facebook probably halved LightWave's users all by itself. Thinking about it, how many LW users who would update to the latest version would there be at this point?

3000~5000 paying upgraders? Less? More?
    Newtek/Vizrt lost out on me as a customer during the latest 2020 releases, and not because of this though, the situation of the fuzz may just continue to feed speculations I may have that it isnīt promising in itīs future, but I can just sit back and watch til they release next versions and make my judgement on that, in combination with whatever information I get on the development.

that runaway train on Facebook probably halved LightWave's users all by itself..

are you f*** shitting me... LightWave Facebook sustained LW from a 2015 - 2018 in terms of content, community and market. we done what Newtek couldn't.
    I know for a fact if it wasn't for that ****** facebook god and group LW sales would have halved... how do I know this... because I had the analytics in front of me... what did you have apart from a half baked opinion?
    I gave 7 years worth of hard work and time and I gave away group to LW and they made a royal arse of it..

anybody sitting on the fence I suggest you jump
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 09-04-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    that runaway train on Facebook probably halved LightWave's users all by itself.
    I don't think that comment was meant to denigrate your effort ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I think Newtek/Vizrt need to try a vaccine before this is spread like a virus, I got one to suggest..itīs called "Communication"

Apologies OnlineRender - that's not what I meant. I meant the stream of panic surrounding the loss of three Lightwave developers today. The FB Lightwave support group itself is and was great for Lightwave and its users, and an awesome resource.

Sorry if my comment got misunderstood. It wasn't aimed at degrading the group or your efforts in any way.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't think that comment was meant to denigrate your effort ...
    perhaps ... even one may consider over defensive, but the reason the user base halved was not because I setup a facebook ... the reason the facebook group became a gravitational force was because we offered what NT didn't " no offence Sbowie, that comment was meant to denigrate your effort ...

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I think Newtek/Vizrt need to try a vaccine before this is spread like a virus, I got one to suggest..itīs called "Communication"
    That's what I meant. They could have nipped this in the butt quite easily. Users just want reassurance.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

fairplay ... but honestly that group saved a lot of people...not just me.

That's what I meant. They could have nipped this in the butt quite easily. Users just want reassurance.

i hear a known "big cat" in this industry is going to fix this situation. just hang in there people.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I see Steve W. has "helpfully" linked this thread to the Modo forum so they can all have a good gossip too, but the Modo annals of history which record all the Lightwave team deserting Newtek to form Modo are a little quieter that they deserted Modo too. And I get that Andrew C. is a power user of LW and has now formed a Facebook site for LW users to transfer to Blender, but from his own very honest post has "not used Blender for more than a few minutes". Away from the user ends there is a business structure, and the MDs of Vizrt surely can't be expected to react with an official statement to the latest joust on Facebook or any other thread (even though me the hypocrite would certainly welcome one )...

it is almost funny...

oh well, i suspect this to be fixed by tomorrow morning...

G'night.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

as long as victor and juan is with lightwave - there is no problem for my humble archviz business. Creating a new render engine for LW - a sentence caused many programmers their job...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    it is almost funny...

oh well, i suspect this to be fixed by tomorrow morning...
    Our official LW accounts woudn't suddenly vanish with all the material would they ? That wouldn't be too funny. Then again, maybe it would. Should every last thing be backed up, just in case ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I see Steve W. has "helpfully" linked this thread to the Modo forum so they can all have a good gossip too, but the Modo annals of history which record all the Lightwave team deserting Newtek to form Modo are a little quieter that they deserted Modo too. And I get that Andrew C. is a power user of LW and has now formed a Facebook site for LW users to transfer to Blender, but from his own very honest post has "not used Blender for more than a few minutes". Away from the user ends there is a business structure, and the MDs of Vizrt surely can't be expected to react with an official statement to the latest joust on Facebook or any other thread (even though me the hypocrite would certainly welcome one )...
    While there are many things that Blender can do that Lightwave can't it is far from perfect. I tried it myself again recently out of curiosity and it has trouble with many things that I take for granted in Lightwave. FBX support to name one of them. Despite what many think the grass is not always greener on the other side. I see no reason to start learning other software. I already know Modo fairly well although I'm not update on it and Lightwave still suits most of my needs well for what I currently do.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast