Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Can I just politely remind all of our good friends that this is a LW forum? Thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Can I just politely remind all of our good friends that this is a LW forum? Thanks.
    Yes, you can, note taken.
    Signing off from any further Blender reference or comparisons for now and with the intention to try and keep it that way.
    Initial posts about blender ..It was a sample of where Lightwave handles something better though, should count for something.
    But rightly so..off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Was (like the facebook lightwiki), now its all a bunch of blender users who have lightwave some place in the back of the cupboard.

Good work Newtek/Vzrt. Winning! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Agreed 2015.3 I think best.
    Then the change to completelynew PBR, render engine, and volumetrics, while trying to maintain some of the legacy stuff, the issue with it is the interactive GI processing that should take advantage of mid range GPUīs and itīs not, so the sense of the
    interpolated GI being faster in VPR ..working better for still shots is something to think about when spitting out still images.
    I''d still like to see a pbr shader in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Was (like the facebook lightwiki), now its all a bunch of blender users who have lightwave some place in the back of the cupboard.

I just mentioned the B connections since there was issues with it, while Lightwave was doing it right..itīs a heads up on some things done right in lightwave, then it got carried away with a render to extend on that I could overcome the issue, but by default it doesnīt seem right.

Also, since this forum still is more helpful when having trouble, it just happened that someone( next_n00b
    ) answered and gave a suggestion that could help out, since they are kind of sleeping in the B forums.

So back to topic, what is happening with Lightwave? this is a Lightwave forum after all ( a section at least) so that question should be valid, and perhaps answered

- - - Updated - - -

Nope..not worth going there, we could use a 32 bit version that can use all those plugins missing in 2020 instead, and a GPU renderer, that would pretty much reduce the need of 2015, except for some of the shaders mentioned.

And since they adressed some back issues as implementing ambient light in there, why not implementing texture buttons in the pbr materials directly, sort of reclaiming the good old texture workflow, once clicked on, a nodal connection with color layer plus is added in the nodal network, faster workflow.
    Thatīs how some (censored) is doing it.

You can do PBR shading in 2015 with some crazy node flows - not my cup of tea. Give me 2018 and above for me, never going back to 2015 and earlier.
    I think the PBR implementation in 2018 and up is fabulous.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    You can do PBR shading in 2015 with some crazy node flows - not my cup of tea. Give me 2018 and above for me, never going back to 2015 and earlier.
    Volume PBR And GI isnīt where it should be, bad multiple bouncing, scattering.
    That said, it pertains to other softwares current status, not the older hypervoxels system.

And 2018 had itīs share of noise issues.
    As mentioned, the Lightwave trademark of setting up textures within materials the easiest way, has been sort of ..almost destroyed, I need that back on the PBR materials in the future.

But these latest post from me was out of line for what I decided I should discuss or not discuss in these forums, sorry for that.
    Will try and stay away from the forums a couple of months otherwise I seem to tend to jump in to the discussions of development of Lightwave, which I promised myself not to do.

Whipping my back sore right now, and repenting, Lightwave box and 2019.3 open in front of me.

For one thing, LW2015 doesn’t work properly on latest versions of MacOS, the issue was fixed in LW2018.
    If you open the dope sheet in 2015.3 all icons work as expected, if you open the scene editor on the other hand you have the alpha problem with the icons that you see every where else in interface. Dope editor was relatively new to 2015.3 and most probably specked to Apples then latest developers guidelines. What gets me is knowing there was an OS change coming they did nada, leaving in place the obsolete icons for some three years and effectively obsoleting 2015.3 knowingly.

SSS in 2019 is different calculation to 2020.0.2, now uses random walk, gives brighter look
    Last edited by gerry_g; 09-23-2020 at 02:27 AM.

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    You can do PBR shading in 2015 with some crazy node flows - not my cup of tea.
    https://youtu.be/Lcb5LyTmC2c Rebelhill showing how it's done in earlier versions.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    https://youtu.be/Lcb5LyTmC2c Rebelhill showing how it's done in earlier versions.

B
    It's definitely possible, and if you create a compound item, with all the controls in place it will look great. (But most likely be slower than LW 2020)

I personally love the LW renderer, even in 2020. I think it's still a great asset to LW users.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

There is no objection, of course, to people using various tools. Broadly, though, this is not the place to discuss them, save mostly as the discussion might be related to interop. I do not mind when the conversation drifts a bit, just as no-one should mind when I politely remind them of this.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

There is an easy way of doing pbr'ish shading 2015. I used a compound shader published on the LW blog.

Here is a result using standard PBR textures fed into the compound shader.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Materials-PBR (002).JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	148741

Compound shader here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...-in-lightwave/

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    There is an easy way of doing pbr'ish shading 2015. I used a compound shader published on the LW blog.

Here is a result using standard PBR textures fed into the compound shader.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Materials-PBR (002).JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	148741

Compound shader here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...-in-lightwave/
    how do you find that for render times?

how do you find that for render times?
    I opened up the EXR file in 2020.0.2 to read the exif info and it said it took 10626.2 seconds (=2.95 hours)... resolution was 3840x2160 with Monte Carlo Raytracing DOF 64 render threats (on old dual Xeon) AA 16/32.
    Last edited by peebeearr; 09-24-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    I opened up the EXR file in 2020.0.2 to read the exif info and it said it took 10626.2 seconds (=2.95 hours)... resolution was 3840x2160 with Monte Carlo Raytracing DOF 64 render threats (on old dual Xeon) AA 16/32.
    It is a nice result, and it shows off the (still great) quality of the old Lightwave renderer, but those render times are insanely long. Is that because of that compound shader?
    Last edited by Rayek; 09-24-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast