Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    That means there is no documentation available for 2018-19 if the site goes down. It would be nice if those were made available too.
    I didn't have a needed plugin to be able to render the 2018 or 2019 docs. You could read the 2020 docs but there are some things that won't make sense such as the environment light or the way the render engine works now with regard to radiosity.

B
    PS. Also, I made the PDF documentation for those that supported LightWave. People not upgrading is possibly why this happened so I'm sorry but I don't feel too bad about users of older versions not getting what they want.
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    PS. Also, I made the PDF documentation for those that supported LightWave. People not upgrading is possibly why this happened so I'm sorry but I don't feel too bad about users of older versions not getting what they want.
    I'd rather think the distinct lack of communication on Newtek's part and the slow development pace and hardly any real progression in terms of real development aside from the new render engine (and no GPU option) were to blame and the cause of many users not upgrading.

I know I would have stayed with Lightwave as my main app if both those factors had been different. Sadly, that proved not to be the case. Hence, users not happy with Newtek and consequently not upgrading. Hence, users leaving. Simple as that.

Water under the bridge now. What happened, happened.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Also, I made the PDF documentation for those that supported LightWave. People not upgrading is possibly why this happened so I'm sorry but I don't feel too bad about users of older versions not getting what they want.
    I understand the point you're making, and I understand how business works, but I use Lightwave primarily for modelling. There was nothing in the 2020 release that I could have used to justify an upgrade to my boss.
    And users have been screaming for a Modeler overhaul for years.

Whats done is done, but I think there is an element of "If you build it, they will come". For whatever reason, Newtek didn't buildModeler up to what it could have been.
    A shame, as the recent improvements to Layout have been great. If only that could have been mirrored in Modeler.

I didn't have a needed plugin to be able to render the 2018 or 2019 docs. You could read the 2020 docs but there are some things that won't make sense such as the environment light or the way the render engine works now with regard to radiosity.

B
    Well, when the docs went to online only, a bunch of us complained that this could happen. Someone who paid for 2018 or 2019 shouldn't be stuck with no docs. They paid for the software. And, we are still in 2020. I have upgraded every release for the past decade, but held off on 2020 due to the strangeness of the thin release, and needing money for lots of other things like copious amounts of toilet paper, and canned food to survive the apocalypse;-) If my $295 was the straw that broke the camel's back, I was probably right to hold off. I love LW. It is my favorite software period, but Newtek and Vizrt have played games with us for a long time, and didn't invest in keepping it up to date. Still I always defended it.

LW2020 being closer to a point update than a full release, was very troubling. Most of us saw it as a sign of the end. Turns out it was. A way to push the last of the development out the door and make a few bucks. And now, it looks like they will bury the IP so none of the people who care about can carry on developing it. Just so they can keep a few coders. I hope those coders walk. Maybe start a new company like modo did. I definitely wanted to buy 2020, and was going to before the end of the year, to keep my discount, and give support, but now it looks like my discount will be eternal, as LW2021 will never arrive. All in all, it sucks. I'm sorry you and the other guys are out of a job. I appreciate what you did, and only blame management for a string of poor decisions.

made this a few days ago, limited, but could be of help >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

B
    I've always upgraded to support the product myself ever since LW 8. I agree that users not upgrading to support the product likely played a role in it's demise. I didn't even notice there was an offline version available for 2020 until now. Thanks Ben!
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 10-06-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

FWIW, I took raymondtrace's advice here and the download seems to work a treat. The entire online docs, including the animations, downloaded as 1.87gb and took around 90 minutes. I just cut and pasted raymondtrace's recommended data in the download window, and it finally showed 28 "errors" out of many thousands, but all seems to be there as far as I can tell. So for anyone on 2018 or 2019, might be worth trying that (but remember, personal use only ! ).

Hey look on the bright side - at least we don't have to worry about all of our favorite LScripts not working anymore!
    Tim Parsons

...and an early Christmas present  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Well, when the docs went to online only, a bunch of us complained that this could happen. Someone who paid for 2018 or 2019 shouldn't be stuck with no docs. They paid for the software.

Totally agree.

LW2020 being closer to a point update than a full release, was very troubling.
    I may not have upgraded to 2020, but I have two licenses, and upgraded them both to 2019, so I dont think it's fair to lay the blame for this at the feet of those who didn't buy into 2020. If I HAD upgraded to 2020, I'd be feeling very cheated right now.

I have read that other companies are no longer interested in buying LW. However, it is normal practise for businesses not to buy a failing asset for $$$$'s, when they can simply wait until it fully fails, administrators are called in, and it can be picked up dirt cheap. There s still a chance that in a month or year, VizRT might sell Lightwave to another interested party for a token amount.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    However, it is normal practise for businesses not to buy a failing asset for $$$$'s, when they can simply wait until it fully fails, administrators are called in, and it can be picked up dirt cheap. There s still a chance that in a month or year, VizRT might sell Lightwave to another interested party for a token amount.
    They might (also meaning might not), but any buyer "master strategy" depending on administrators to come into Vizrt to devalue LW may be in for a very long wait indeed....

Oh I wasn't suggesting that VizRT as a whole would go into administration. No-one would want that. I was just musing that other interested parties might have dropped their interest because they could see the writing on the wall, and figured if they wait a year or two, they coud save a lot of money.

They sold us LW2020 and it has been shelved half way through it's year life and only had two bug patch fixes.

I demand a full refund for all purchasers of LW2020. You sold us a half finished product update.

Have some decency for goodness sake, where is your morality?

I will deal my finishing touch in due course.
    Last edited by Marty3DGuru; 10-07-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

Quote Originally Posted by W-Tools View Post
    LWCAD 2020 will be out this month if nobody report some serious bugs.

I am already working on release video for LWCAD 2020.

Sorry for delay.
    Thanks Viktor. All the best sir. I look forward to this very latest release and thanks for letting us know.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

I made sure there's a PDF of the wiki in my notice period in case NT decides to also shut the wiki down. I would encourage everyone to download it. It's not perfect by any means because the export procedure didn't like that I use a heading for captions but it should all be there - bar the animgifs or example files (get them while you can).

B
    Thank you very much for that, Ben. Much appreciated
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast