Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quite apart from LW, Chuck's steady hand in moderating taught me a great deal, a good mentor and friend, and missed.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Chuck! I leave the forum alone for a couple of hours to go and see a not-great film, and in you pop I miss you buddy and thanks for being great support through all the years we've worked together. I hope you and Marina are enjoying a well-deserved retirement.

All the best,

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post

Does anyone have any advice on how to import my LightWave models and scenes into Blender?
    FBX is your friend in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    FBX is your friend in both directions.
    i tried importing CA from LW11 into B.2.9 but with a mangled result.

testing now > B.2.83 LTS
    Last edited by erikals; 10-08-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBaker View Post
    Thanks, Ben! Appreciate the PDF, and all the incredible effort through the years!
    All things are fine now Chuck is back in the room! Hey Chuck!

Going to miss this...
    I hope LightWave's future is an owner that takes care of it for a while, but not too hopeful... the worst is that it's LightWave's 30th year
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    All things are fine now Chuck is back in the room! Hey Chuck!

Going to miss this...
    I hope LightWave's future is an owner that takes care of it for a while, but not too hopeful... the worst is that it's LightWave's 30th year
    I'd just love to see a company excited at the opportunity of developing Lightwave productively, willing to invest in more serious modernization efforts, interested in fostering a healthy third-party ecosystem, marketing the product, and basically all the other things Newtek hasn't shown any interest in doing for a very long time.

Alas, it's all moot unless VizRT is willing to sell LW. VizRT themselves have shown very little evidence of meeting the above criteria, nor pursuing such goals.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-08-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    ...a not-great film...
    What was the film?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

...probably something with sparkling vampires and werewolves
    Last edited by erikals; 10-08-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I'd just love to see a company excited at the opportunity of developing Lightwave productively, willing to invest in more serious modernization efforts, interested in fostering a healthy third-party ecosystem, marketing the product, and basically all the other things Newtek hasn't shown any interest in doing for a very long time.

Alas, it's all moot unless VizRT is willing to sell LW. VizRT themselves have shown very little evidence of meeting the above criteria, nor pursuing such goals.
    I couldn't agree more! I got to think a sell-off will be the end result. Which could be the best thing that ever happened to LW.
    Tim Parsons

No Worries - New Build (New 2Me)

Honestly, I am not going to worry. So I just built a new computer.
    X299 MSI Carbon AC MB
    7820x processor
    32 GB DDR 3000 Ram
    AMD Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris)
    Thermaltake level 20XT case with 10 fans and 1000w PS
    2 M.2 2TB cards
    2 4TB 7200rpm drives

Ran the marbles Benchmark from 2015 content folder and added an environmental light and used the out of the box 2020.0.2 render settings.
    render time 8m 20s -

Honestly, I am not going to worry. So I just built a new computer.
    X299 MSI Carbon AC MB
    7820x processor
    32 GB DDR 3000 Ram
    AMD Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris)
    Thermaltake level 20XT case with 10 fans and 1000w PS
    2 M.2 2TB cards
    2 4TB 7200rpm drives

i'm betting that LW will be sold, as we've seen with other major 3d apps (softimage, maya). it's a great app, with amazing tools. vizRT most closely aligns with NewTek's visualization hardware & software division for streaming and broadcast. i think these tools are what they wanted; lightwave was just part of the acquisition of NewTek, and an asset to be re-packaged and sold for capital. i've worked for an international hardware and software company for a few years, and witnessed several acquisitions. most came under the corporate umbrella yet maintained a certain degree of autonomy -- a sister company of the whole, now answerable to the parent corporate entity (revenue goals, branding, etc.). rarely is a company acquired and then dissolved, unless that component of the overall corporate structure is not desired or needed.

i would not be surprised at all to see a sale in the comping months, existing customers grandfathered in to the new company and given upgrade discounts, etc. regardless, i'm happy using 2015, 2019 & 2020 for the next several years, and will continue to get great mileage out of my fav tool. and hell, no upgrade costs in the near term -- i'm happy with saving the $ during covidpocalypse 2020-2021, while still enjoying working with a flow that's comfortable, familiar and awesome.
    Last edited by TreyX; 10-09-2020 at 01:04 AM.

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    What was the film?
    It was Antebellum. I went to see it mainly for Janelle Monae, who I think is great. I'd give the film 3/5 at best, and mainly for her. The second act is all over the place and the editing needs a lot of tightening. There are also points in the film that seem vindictive and unnecessary (perhaps a sign of the times).

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Haven't posted here in a long while for 'reasons', (9.6 being the 'final' version of LW on my system).
    However, I did want to take the chance to pass on both my consolations on being let go, (been there, done that, ouch), and also my deepest thanks for their help and friendship over the years to Ben Vost, Chuck Baker and Deuce. During my time as a 'Waver', we had a lot of great discussions and they have been nought but kind and helpful. My best wishes to you all for the future, may your path be clear. :-)
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    i would not be surprised at all to see a sale in the comping months, existing customers grandfathered in to the new company and given upgrade discounts, etc.
    Time will tell, but it seems pretty clear that VizRT has no short-term interest in selling.

In order for a sale to be announced in the coming months, they would need to be deeply into negotiations today -- just due diligence and IP reviews alone would take many weeks to months, and those are just parts of the process in a deal to sell a product like LW. As I mentioned before, letting go of most-recent LW devs changes LW asset value significantly (IME), which inevitably would have forced revaluation, renegotiations, tanking any existing deal.

Those devs being let go is very strong evidence that VizRT were NOT in any active negotiations over LW at that time. Nowhere near enough time since has passed for VizRT to locate and be in serious negotiations with another potential buyer since the devs departure (and their alleged "reassigned staff" concern would still apply now).

Speculating about whether new LW owner will give deals to existing LW customers (implying they'll even have anything to sell any time soon) really feels more like wishful thinking than any probable near- to mid-term future.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-09-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Time will tell, but it seems pretty clear that VizRT has no short-term interest in selling.

In order for a sale to be announced in the coming months, they would need to be deeply into negotiations today -- just due diligence and IP reviews alone would take many weeks to months, and those are just parts of the process in a deal to sell a product like LW. As I mentioned before, letting go of most-recent LW devs changes LW asset value significantly (IME), which inevitably would have forced revaluation, renegotiations, tanking any existing deal.

Those devs being let go is very strong evidence that VizRT were NOT in any active negotiations over LW at that time. Nowhere near enough time since has passed for VizRT to locate and be in serious negotiations with another potential buyer since the devs departure (and their alleged "reassigned staff" concern would still apply now).

Speculating about whether new LW owner will give deals to existing LW customers (implying they'll even have anything to sell any time soon) really feels more like wishful thinking than any probable near- to mid-term future.
    One of the rumored reasons that Vizrt would not sell Lightwave is because they did not want to lose some of the LW engineers that they wanted to keep. This makes some sense but maybe they leave on their own anyway if they don't like what they are working on.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast