Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    The latest version which often fails to render altogether, and for which render dissolve is utterly broken (among a legion of other serious basic defects)?

For starters, because upgrading to something significantly less functional/capable than what you already have isn't an "upgrade". LW2018 represent an IMMENSE loss of functionality (and compatibility) compared to LW2015, and then both LW2019 and LW2020 continued further, breaking yet more significant quantities of existing LW functionality, while like LW2018 themselves offering only small added chunks of flawed (and typically, broken) "new functionality".
    John,
    I see your posts as harbingers: things to come, things to be aware of.
    Thank you so much for this post. I've been trying to figure out a fix for my 'thinkins about LW'.
    I can use my full investment with 2015. IFW in particular. If even just for 'bolts of texture'. (I learned to sew during the quarantine.)
    I have downloaded it now and will archive it for future use.

I was so mad I had irrational thoughts. Now, I get it: as long as the versions I have still work, I can do what I want with those tools. Tools I am comfortable with.

I can't teach LW as it is represented. I have elected to use Blender for the classroom as its environment is dynamic.

Now, I'm just sad for an old friend I may not see as often...
    Last edited by UnCommonGrafx; 09-04-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: grammar freak
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

Devastatin'
    Anybody who's actually used Lightwave should recognise it's been brain dead for years, the only thing that has changed now is they've decided to switch off the ventilator.

Now,now, calm down guys. It could have been worse. Look at EIAS 3D. The users have been waiting for v10 since June 2013. But at least the developers have bothered to check in a few times during those years to let them know that they are still working on it

Sadly, that's been said before.
    And the company has brought out big guns and won back the crowd.

This feels similar. Lots of doom and gloom. and them allowing the tone in the forum.

I am learning to despise such an, "I'll show you... sssssssssss hchcchchchchch!" way at a relationship.

Let's see what comes. Since the speculation guns are a runnin, here's mine:
    There are all those companies that sprang from the lw that still have the talent, skill and bucks, nowadays, to make their ultimate tool that matches the time.
    Foundry is down. New messiah action on the horizon; reorganizations at LWG/VRtz(sp); even the modo world seems off.
    Imagine if they forged a new paradigm together.

Eh.
    Back to my Friday of teaching in the Covid era. Beer.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I see Steve W. has "helpfully" linked this thread to the Modo forum so they can all have a good gossip too, but the Modo annals of history which record all the Lightwave team deserting Newtek to form Modo are a little quieter that they deserted Modo too.
    Well, Stuart went to Apple, but Allen's still Head of Rendering at Foundry. It's also not solely about who leaves, but also who's hired -- Foundry's hired plenty of new Modo devs over the years as well, there's plenty of remaining Modo devs. As long as replacements are in place for a while before exits, turnover is normal.

In contrast, the last new dev visibly added to Lightwave devs was Jamil Halabi, and he didn't stay long. There's no evidence of new LW replacement devs already present and "caught up" to replace Antti, Jon, or Dave V (or even Jamil, Mark or Dave I, for that matter). Lightwave's dev staffing situation (numerous exits with no evidence of replacement hires, when there should be some) is quite different from, and more problematic than Modo's staffing (non-)situation.

If they're doing a dev house-cleaning, and rebuilding, more power to them (so long as they get rid of the management responsible as well). Usually the way those are carried out is a bit different, though: High-level mgmt. replacements typically come first, and drive the house-cleaning. There's little evidence yet supporting that as what's happening, but it could be the plan. Time will tell.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    have downloaded it now and will archive it for future use.
    If customers don't already have backups of the old versions' installers, license files, content, docs, etc. for versions they still use, it's worth downloading them for archival purposes (regardless of what happens).
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Our official LW accounts woudn't suddenly vanish with all the material would they ? That wouldn't be too funny. Then again, maybe it would. Should every last thing be backed up, just in case ?
    It may...
    Also your already downloaded software may self destruct within some seconds, if they fail to complete the mission.
    Which should mean they should be disavowed in the future..if it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IRML View Post
    Anybody who's actually used Lightwave should recognise it's been brain dead for years, the only thing that has changed now is they've decided to switch off the ventilator.
    I guess users and Lightwave are equally brain dead then, a perfect match, there is no other way to explain the relationship in any other way that makes any sense, I think I am homefree though, woke up from the coma last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    While there are many things that Blender can do that Lightwave can't it is far from perfect. I tried it myself again recently out of curiosity and it has trouble with many things that I take for granted in Lightwave. FBX support to name one of them. Despite what many think the grass is not always greener on the other side. I see no reason to start learning other software. I already know Modo fairly well although I'm not update on it and Lightwave still suits most of my needs well for what I currently do.
    True,
    But sadly I see more job ads showing up over here in my country that apart from the other standards as maya, zbrush..they tend to also include blender much more now.
    Lightwave..absolutely nothing, then again...regions around middle and north europe may differ widely and may perhaps be very different in the U.K, Canada and the U.S and Japan?

We can remember many of the lw3d team who left in the past (a large group that created Modo, for example), but the development was not stopped. You have a product, there is a stable interest in it, a fairly large community of users has existed for decades, your product has a fairly stable authority, etc. - why would anyone want to give up such a product? On the contrary, it must be protected and preserved. It is another matter to what extent the new owners understand the specifics of the development of such a product and to what extent the LW development strategy chosen several years ago (era of Rob Powers) is correct and can it be flexibly adjusted as needed?

helps is on itīs way Any second now..(with the voice of Jodi Foster from the movie "silence of the lambs")

Newletters..28 Feb 2019 (here they can do some stuff really)
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/newsletters/

Plugins...May 2020 (not much for the newtek team to do there than support 3rd party devs more by improving the sdk)
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

Magazines...Summer 2014 (not much to do with this section considering that at that time, lightwave was still more vibrant it seems for tv shows, they need to cover something equally interesting)
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/communit...wave_magazine/

Blog...July 15, 2020 (fair enough)
    https://blog.lightwave3d.com/

I hope staff isnīt Deprecated as lscripts lately....I hope. (with the voice of Morgan Freeman in hucklesuck..ehh, Shawshank Redemption)

Our official LW accounts woudn't suddenly vanish with all the material would they ? That wouldn't be too funny. Then again, maybe it would. Should every last thing be backed up, just in case ?
    yep

Already is, i always download all versions, license keys, content and manuals as well as all the third party associated plugins. They all have their own thumbdrives as well as clouded.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Already is, i always download all versions, license keys, content and manuals as well as all the third party associated plugins. They all have their own thumbdrives as well as clouded.
    As ever in the world of IT, the first rule is:

You can NEVER have too many backups

Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Absolutly. I have plugins going back to LW 5.5 days as well as the backups for 5.5, 6 and 7. Mostly a nostalgia thing really.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    As ever in the world of IT, the first rule is:
    You can NEVER have too many backups