Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    I don't see any business opportunity. I'm only offering my help to people I consider, first of all, friends.
    Well said Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    Good morning all,
    firstly, i wish Lightwave could continue to develop, i love lightwave and i use it every day.
    To give my opinion with a little look back, why spend time and money on an integrated renderer (with all due respect to the developers), just look behind us, there was Fprime , Kray now Octane: why not have had a policy of developing and redesigning the modeler and other major tools, and leave the part returned to already efficient third parties. Why not have all implemented so that the external renderers are the most transparent / integrate with Lightwave. Why did you want to redo what others did perfectly!
    Also, why for some people always want free, or want too cheap tools. Good development requires funds to stay on the market, this also involves a cost of licenses (I'm not for free and not for Lightwave open source), I prefer to pay more and have a solid tool, sustainable over time, and above all whose development is responsive to users.

Let's stop behaving like students, we are professionals who used to make a living with the use of a tool that remains great: Please just look at my work, all visuals are done with Lightwave in partnership with Octane _ Kray and Lwcad. The goal is to quickly produce a very professional work, today the trio Lightwave / Lwcad and Octane works perfectly. (I'm not trying to advertise, just show somebody when LW 's archivz render can compete with the Max / Vray duo.) (cinema4D / Vray ) and Arnold etc.
    Strength is the combination of skills.
    I think we have to show that all of us don't want Lightwave to end, on the contrary.
    Just put the means where it is needed to stay on the scene, and not be afraid of a partner to go further.
    Now I am certain that Newtek's leadership is looking for the best path for Lightwave's continuity. "Who will kill his own child", I want to stay on a positive and hopeful note by trusting Newtek.
    thank you for listening
    kinds regards

here a link for a current project ( all is done with Lightwave / lwcad /octane )
    https://www.vedea.archi/projet/insti...site-insulaire

sylvain
    Yes LWCAD is probably the biggest reason I'm still using Lightwave. There is nothing else out there like it unless you want to work in a CAD program which I don't. It's snapping, interactive live booleans and CAD line tools for drafting make it very powerful for Arch Viz work. If Lightwave development really is over it will be interesting to see what happens with LWCAD in the future and where Viktor ports it next. He has always resisted porting it to Modo but I'm not really sure why. I think even just a LWCAD Lite Modo version would do well. I guess then it could be called ModoCAD.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 09-08-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post

if blender has a treasure chest of goodies you'd like to have/use...
    why not just use blender?....
    The interface.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

The interface.
    The interface, indeed.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    The interface.
    Random rambling idea. There are various devices which assign hardware buttons to shortcuts. I believe media streamers use little versions like the Elgato. Here's a good review by (LW user) Steven Scott:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslS9NqS6sU

Alternative:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMKOT6vb50

But there are others with more than a hundred buttons. The daddy of 'em all (that I could find):-
    https://xkeys.com/xk128.html

Now a person could take any 3D software and simply press a custom button for function, eliminating the hassle of muscle memory short cuts, ie focus on what the software is supposed to do rather than trying to remember what or where a shortcut is...

I have no experience of these in practice. Can anyone think of any pros/cons (apart from the extra cost of course)..

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

The interface, indeed.
    Ivé written a lot about the differences of the UI in the blender forums.
    For those that have switched or using, they are defending the blender interface cause they think it is more flexible and customizisable than the LW UI, I agree to some degree, the problem is that it is essential you
    put some time to manage that, and still not getting exactly what you want, while Lightwave have had a very initiuv way about it for it to work smoothly in most cases, and clean.

Of course the main difference is Icons, then we have the way how it is organized, then accessed, after that the hardcoded viewports vs flexible viewports, and there is probably only one area where blender faults in that area...and that is the
    non flexible quad views, unless dragging out and changing viewports yourself to fit as you like.

The discussion got to some point of trying to scale down the UI as much as possible but yet functional without too many shortcuts, and have as much space possible for the actual viewport, but still be able to have buttons or icons to access in front of you, I claimed that Lightwave seem to be the one that have had the best balance on this, though I think we didnīt come to a proper conclusion on which one would have the best balance, definitely that it takes more customization though in blender to get there.

One of my dislikes is to always look for each item in a list, just like in Modo which is also why I dindnīt catch on to it, I like the way the camera, object, lights, bones are constantly fixed on the same place, and itīs hardcoded in kinetic memory when I do mouse actions, while in a list like in blender or modo, it never can be, it needs to be filtered in the list to only see those items, or you have to manually look and distinguish it from all other items in the scene, alternatively like Ztreem showed me, set up new window and place them similar for a camera and light, but you have to go through those hopes and filter each viewport to only see the camera respectively light and bones etc, and it is still not as slick as how it is presented in Lightwave in my opinion.
    Some of those things is also why I disliked how the Lightwave Core application took form, it had the same concept of introducing the camera and light and everything in that list, and destroyed that classic stage setup I like about lightwave today.

Perhaps I could compare it to lights, camera, and bones put in to a box VS Lights, camera and bones already staged in your "movie stage" to be where they should be, while the box have to be checked where things are at, and sort it out.
    If blender could be even more flexible with itīs UI to allow for such main UI change, that would be really nice, but fiddling with setting these things up for each item and in a respective window..that I am not interested in.

Ehh..why did I even answer on this..I should stay away from these kind of discussions, I promized..but the itch was to strong, sorry... my fault.

I canīt believe it.
    Lightwave should be the first choice for Virzrt products.
    Do they even know that they have the lightwave code complete, and not just the amiga version ?

best regards
    kievi

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I've written a lot about the differences of the UI in the blender forums....
    Thank goodness 2.9 is vastly improved. but there's still some miles to go.

modo...
    yeah, they never >quite< nailed it. and now the "M" is almost paused in new features.

Ehh..why did I even answer on this..I should stay away from these kind of discussions, I promised..but the itch was to strong, sorry... my fault.
    well, at last you are way ahead of me.

no breaks on this car i'm afraid...

I like the way the camera, object, lights, bones are constantly fixed on the same place,
    Yes!

Lightwave Statement from Vizrt Global Communications
    https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2020/09...ave-statement/

Luci e onde del belpaese - www.lwita.com

New post on the Lightwave Blog, basically boiling down to "NewTek was acquired, remember? This is acquisition stuff. Lightwave is status quo. Stop panicking."

from Vizrt Global Communications

It has been more than a year and a half since NewTek was purchased by Vizrt, and it is important that we give you an update on how this impacts LightWave 3D.
    When we completed this transaction, we chose to continue to show our dedication to LightWave by leaving the LightWave 2020 plans entirely unchanged and released the latest version of LightWave on time and have continued to patch and improve it since then. Indeed the latest release was just over a month ago (Summer 2020)!

As part of building a robust and scalable foundation for the Vizrt Group so that we can make out software-defined visual storytelling solutions better, more accessible, and innovative, we have chosen at this point to start integrating our 3D team into our global Vizrt Group Product Development team. This will allow us to share best practices, innovation, and technology across our entire portfolio. This is a normal part of any acquisition process and the only surprising thing is that we waited this long.
    LightWave 2020 remains the best version of LightWave 3D that has ever existed, and we have every intent to continue to keep it available and support it.

Q: What have we done recently with LightWave 3D?
    A: We have integrated LW3D into Vizrt Group’s central Product Development function to bring it in line with its sister products from the Vizrt , NDI and NewTek brands. This will allow us to optimize R&D resource usage, innovation, and technology sharing across the Group, ultimately improving customer experience.

Q: Are we de-listing LightWave 3D?
    A: No, we continue to sell and support LW3D and related add-ons (see lightwave3d.com for more details).

Q: Will development continue on this product?
    A: We have just released LightWave 3D 2020, which has been well received by the market and our immediate focus is on supporting the adoption of this latest version. As a company (and like most companies) we do not talk about our development and future plans for our products.

Q: Will we still support our customers/channels that own LightWave 3D?
    A: Yes, we know that LW3D is integral to many of our customer’s creative work-flows.

Q: What is on the road-map for this product?
    A: At the Vizrt Group we do not share future looking product road-maps. That said, it should be clear that 3D technology is incredibly important and relevant to us and our customer base.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Yes!

I think that is why so many Lw users in tv shows, film etc is refering to that feel of a movie stage, and that is a sensation I do not get with blender, more a 3D construction tool.
    So it is either just overcome and accept blender working differently and let that bug you are adapt, or try and set windows up to match some of that hardcoded UI Lightwave has, for me it matters in the sense of getting that sensation
    and feeling nice as a movie stage set up, for others, it seem to matter not, itīs also how camera icons are presented and axiz control rotations, itīs the same there, the x-z-y is always set up for you in the left corner, to lock or animate, and I feel it is more easier to understand the naming of it such as pitch, bank, heading..as oppose to the various ways of rotation blender have set up, and in blender you always have to collapse and open the properties panel and scroll to get to those controls, in Lightwave you donīt.

Sure you can use the navigation controls, but thatīs just another way of controlling it which I am not that fond of either.

For me the UI is good enough in terms of named buttons in top main bar and left menu bar, while the UI text in window modules in lightwave is horrible..and that needs to be adressed, as well as scaling of those window..but that most of us have been complaining about for several years, including how to refresh UI colors by rebooting to see any change, this will frustrate any blender enourmously.

Quote Originally Posted by David_CGC View Post
    basically boiling down to "NewTek was acquired, remember? This is acquisition stuff. Lightwave is status quo. Stop panicking."
    I agree.

I also wouldn't be surprised that my original thought is correct - these guys didn't want to toe the line, so they quit.
    Tim Parsons

we'll just wait and see what comes around.

at least it is in the cards that "something" will be released.

--------------------

...until the next big storm.  

Last edited by erikals; 09-08-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David_CGC View Post
    New post on the Lightwave Blog, basically boiling down to "NewTek was acquired, remember? This is acquisition stuff. Lightwave is status quo. Stop panicking."
    That is better than nothing, but I am dazed anyway, why o why are they putting out statement like "nd we have every intent to continue to keep it available and support it."
    Basicly they are saying they own it, and support it"

This statement in no way means they are continuing to develop it, itīs that cryptic allowing us to continue to speculate and at the same time give them opportunity to deny they ever have said their will be
    continued development

This is further made clear in...
    "Q: Will development continue on this product?

A: We have just released LightWave 3D 2020, which has been well received by the market and our immediate focus is on supporting the adoption of this latest version. As a company (and like most companies) we do not talk about our development and future plans for our products."

Which means they do not talk about if they are continuing or how the situation is around development, basicly they are not answering the questions properly other than confirming they just have worked on it and released it some months ago.

What is the danger in simply, yes we are currently still in development mode, would that just endager their policy of not talking about their future plans..all that is just making me more and more sure that I can not support Lightwave anymore with My trust due to this lack of development transparency, it just cements my desire to continue with my changed roadmap towards other software with better transparency such as from Sidefx and the other free options.

Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast