Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

For mindless tittle-tattle purposes only, the guy who "broke the story", then said negotiations are off, did say they were back on again.
    Also, is it me or is The Katster a bit too quiet ? He must be up to something...but I guess that's how wild rumours start...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    For mindless tittle-tattle purposes only, the guy who "broke the story", then said negotiations are off, did say they were back on again.
    Also, is it me or is The Katster a bit too quiet ? He must be up to something...but I guess that's how wild rumours start...
    Yes I think Kelly might be up to something based on some of his recent somewhat obscure comments but who knows. We can only hope. He would likely be one of the best choices out there to be put in charge of Lightwave in my opinion. He understands the product well. At the very least I'm sure he is trying.

Philip Nelson recently admitted he tried to buy Lightwave from Newtek a few years back in this recent interview and Newtek said No. Go to 1:12 and listen for a few minutes.

It's not like people haven't tried.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 10-09-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    i think he mentioned he was going in for surgery or something so may not be able to do his thing
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

It would be so great if someone who cared about the product bought it. Instead of letting it die on the vine. I wish that worked out.

Question regarding Win7 (which I have currently installed for LW/VT).
    I want to get a new HD and reinstall Win7 from scratch (have cd's). Even though support fixes are no longer released, I should still be able to install and download all the patches up where I am now? (at least as of right now). ?

Yes, but...
    - Ryzen is not supported
    - Other future Apps will not be supported in Win7

So, you could, if you only use a few programs.

I unfortunately had to Upgrade to Win10, but, works Ok now.

Would i recommend Win7 ?... no, unfortunately not...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Windows 7........
    Windows 8 was released in 2012.

Didn’t think anyone would be using an OS that old.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Windows 7........
    Windows 8 was released in 2012.

Didn’t think anyone would be using an OS that old.....
    I still use Win 7 on my desktop. ( I also have one laptop that is using Win10 and another laptop that has linux installed.)

Win 7 was the last version that did what an OS was supposed to do... provide a stable platform from which you run your software. Everything after has tried to be trendy imposing crap.

Don't try to make the OS for my work computer and my nephew's Xbox work the same.
    Don't uninstall my 3D software because you run an update and don't know what it is.
    Don't start installing games or other crap you "think I might enjoy".
    Don't try to make the internet browser an integrated part of the OS.
    Don't lock down my software purchases to your "store" as part of your money hungry monopolization of the industry.

All of this is overstepping the purpose of the OS.

I have been intrigued by the video by LinusTech Tips about Windows 10 Ameliorated version.
    https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech/v...7727628968899/

Win 7 all the way. I do realise there is a certain Luddite element to that, but the subsequent OS were all total s*!T in my user experience, so if it ain't broke... For me it will just be old machines or laptops where W7 is pre-activated, so no need to even to go online (ie just work machines). There are xeon worstations like Z800 going way cheaper now than how I remember at the time. Could incorporate a more modern build if absolutely necessary. And really must experiment with Linux sometime..

Dexter2999
    Word.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Yes i think you do, there is no download link on the 2019 update.
    Sprry by the "pdf of the wiki" do you guys mean the LW 2020 Offline documentation? Or is there some more info in our download section for more info I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Time will tell, but it seems pretty clear that VizRT has no short-term interest in selling.

In order for a sale to be announced in the coming months, they would need to be deeply into negotiations today -- just due diligence and IP reviews alone would take many weeks to months, and those are just parts of the process in a deal to sell a product like LW. As I mentioned before, letting go of most-recent LW devs changes LW asset value significantly (IME), which inevitably would have forced revaluation, renegotiations, tanking any existing deal.

Those devs being let go is very strong evidence that VizRT were NOT in any active negotiations over LW at that time. Nowhere near enough time since has passed for VizRT to locate and be in serious negotiations with another potential buyer since the devs departure (and their alleged "reassigned staff" concern would still apply now).

Speculating about whether new LW owner will give deals to existing LW customers (implying they'll even have anything to sell any time soon) really feels more like wishful thinking than any probable near- to mid-term future.
    I would guess that any discussions of a sale or some such that may or may not have been happening were seriously affected by covid. There has been some theorizing/rumors that newtek scuttled a deal when it became clear that they would lose some engineering talent if they sold lightwave, but I think that should be taken with a grain of salt, because that smacks of hearsay. It may be less that vizrt has no interest in selling and more that any potential buyer got cold feet when the global market imploded.

And if we protest to have LW in open source and to make a campaign for donation, like that Vizrt gets rid of this software, are you okay with that?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dslider View Post
    And if we protest to have LW in open source and to make a campaign for donation, like that Vizrt gets rid of this software, are you okay with that?
    It has been mentioned several times before, it's not that simple.

- The product code can contain proprietary and licensed libraries which can not be released as open source due to legal constraints
    - VizRT would need to review everything first before releasing it
    - Without proper documentation the code is not much of use
    - The code quality might not be great considering that unification or substantial UI or Modeler improvements were never achieved trough all those years
    - Without knowledge how the algorithms are implemented, it's very time consuming or even impossible to do anything useful with it - it's not some simple sample application, it's very specific custom code
    - Just being open source doesn't make the product better, there need to be developers that 1) understand the logic and code, 2) are willing to spend much time with it and 3) have those specific skills (render engine development etc)
    - A single person will not achieve much or anything at all, it needs a team of skilled developers to cover the various aspects of the application
    - The modified application would need to be tested
    - Only the original developers might know what all the internal dependencies are and what possibly breaks in changing something
    - There can be a lot of external dependencies / libraries in order to compile it
    - How many users would even care for a modified LW?
    - Why all the hassle when there is already a popular and reliable open source application where anybody can contribute

Quote Originally Posted by 3dslider View Post
    I only refer to myself as "we" on account of the fine people here, but I am wary of that type of thing. I'm guessing there are many users off the forum who "we" should be cautious to claim representing. And a campaign designed to somehow embarrass a company into losing the software could recipricate a response with the same degree of karma. The boardroom can be an tricky place. Imagine a top tier of leering suits looking at a petition and just deciding to donate the code to A/Desk whilst all nudging each other and grinning....the champagne on the house of course.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast