Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by jwmcinnis View Post
    Hi, I'm just now returning to using lightwave after going through the gauntlet of Softimage, Maya, Modo, & Blender. Started using Lightwave 5.5 in 1997 and thought it was great as I was able to get a lot of things done with very little knowledge of the whole program. Now 23 years later, I've decided to pick Lightwave 3d 2020 back up and give it a spin. The other programs do have their strengths and weaknesses and was not a huge fan of the pay to play licensing that has entered the market. Blender was interesting, and did give it a good run for a year and even donated through their monthly plan but it just felt odd to not own a copy of their software. I'm not sure where Lightwave will head in the future, but feel a little cleaning & few improvements could be built in to give it more added strength for many more years.
    Welcome back! I'll continue to use LW as I do mostly archvis.

Still liking LW although Blender is cool too. Playing with that a little bit, but doing real work still with LW and most likely will for a long time yet.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 09-15-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Kind of the same. Just waiting for the dollar to become less expensive and I`ll upgrade to v2020. Although I wish I could upgrade to v2015 as I liked the old render engine.

you might be able to get a hold of it for support purposes. contact support.

option 2,...
    buy LW2015 at www.ebay.com
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    option 2,...
    buy LW2015 at www.ebay.com
    I'd be careful with ebay purchases

true.

Yeah, I looked at ebay. Only found a 2018 that seemed legit. Still think its best to upgrade here but the dollar is tough right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Yeah, I looked at ebay. Only found a 2018 that seemed legit. Still think its best to upgrade here but the dollar is tough right now.
    put out a request for a second hand sale / lic transfer. someone's gonna have one or try K.C.M. at liberty3d.com
    ====================================
    Threadripper 3970X / 3 x RTX 2080ti / Windows 10 x64 / 256 Gb Ram / LW2020 / LW 2015 / Modo 14 / Maya 2020 / Max 2021

Hi, I'm just now returning to using lightwave after going through the gauntlet of Softimage, Maya, Modo, & Blender. Started using Lightwave 5.5 in 1997 and thought it was great as I was able to get a lot of things done with very little knowledge of the whole program. Now 23 years later, I've decided to pick Lightwave 3d 2020 back up and give it a spin. The other programs do have their strengths and weaknesses and was not a huge fan of the pay to play licensing that has entered the market. Blender was interesting, and did give it a good run for a year and even donated through their monthly plan but it just felt odd to not own a copy of their software. I'm not sure where Lightwave will head in the future, but feel a little cleaning & few improvements could be built in to give it more added strength for many more years.

Think of the ole' WWI US ARMY 1911 45 ACP design. That pistol has been around and proved itself for many years and is still being used to this day.

John
    Cool and welcome back!

I still use LightWave, and even more now than ever, I feel using it is just far less clunky than 3ds Max (which I also use). Hoping development continues for LW as we go forward, but will carry on using LW for now and a bit of Blender to fill in the gaps.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Thank you! Great lighting & layout in your Archvis!

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Cool and welcome back!

I still use LightWave, and even more now than ever, I feel using it is just far less clunky than 3ds Max (which I also use). Hoping development continues for LW as we go forward, but will carry on using LW for now and a bit of Blender to fill in the gaps.
    Thank you! That tennis ball and grass court looks real!! Great work on your site! I bet LW will kick into gear. As far as blender Vaughan Ling (HEAVYPOLY) has some great tutorials and a solid keymap/pie menu setup that works well. I'm thinking of re-creating something similar with pie-menus in LW.

Next up: Milton burns down the company because Lumbergh moved his desk and took his red stapler.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

would that be wrong?

do you know how hard it is to come by a red stapler these days?

Thank you! That tennis ball and grass court looks real!! Great work on your site! I bet LW will kick into gear. As far as blender Vaughan Ling (HEAVYPOLY) has some great tutorials and a solid keymap/pie menu setup that works well. I'm thinking of re-creating something similar with pie-menus in LW.
    Thanks for looking!
    My website is just my freetime or rare freelance work that I squeeze in when I'm not working.
    That Tennis Ball scene is in the LightWave 2019 content pack if you ever want to see how it was made and pull it apart. (Although admittedly, it's a bit of a mess trying to tame the fur/fibres on the mesh.)
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

would that be wrong?
    No more wrong than anything else we've seen, anyway.

do you know how hard it is to come by a red stapler these days?
    AIY: https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Sta.../dp/B07NVZTBJJ

though all-metal is better/cheaper but no Initech TPS board: https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Sta.../dp/B0006HUQZ6
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-17-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast