Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 921

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

  1. #46
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,641
    Another LW software engineer gone:
    David Vrba: Aug 2003 - Aug 2020 - 17 yrs 1mo.

    17 years LightWave development!
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  2. #47
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,641
    Andrew Comb (Admin for the Facebook LightWave3D Support Group) just posted a message that he set up the Lightwave to Blender Support Group.

    His message:

    Hi all, well time has come to move on, so I decided to make a LightWave to Blender community. The idea is that it will be a sister site to this one, where we can share work art and community, but divided along software lines. There are many excellent Blender communities, but we have a specific need: We know and love Lightwave so much, that it's hard to get out of the quicksand. I've been using it for over 16 years myself, so this will be painful, and I would love to still stay around the LightWavers who move over there, with me.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwavetoblender/
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  3. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Andrew Comb (Admin for the Facebook LightWave3D Support Group) just posted a message that he set up the Lightwave to Blender Support Group.

    His message:

    Hi all, well time has come to move on, so I decided to make a LightWave to Blender community. The idea is that it will be a sister site to this one, where we can share work art and community, but divided along software lines. There are many excellent Blender communities, but we have a specific need: We know and love Lightwave so much, that it's hard to get out of the quicksand. I've been using it for over 16 years myself, so this will be painful, and I would love to still stay around the LightWavers who move over there, with me.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwavetoblender/
    The more users that leave Lightwave will simply speed up it's demise. Lightwave and more specifically LWCAD still is key to the work I do. If Lightwave development really does end then I sure hope Viktor ports LWCAD to Modo so at least that can continue even if on another platform.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  4. #49
    there is no sanctuary....
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI USA
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I understand that sentiment, and sympathize. It's been a long old haul, and I've been through most of it too, since LW 3.1. I've been told there is a move underway to integrate Lightwave staff into the larger org, but I can't offer any real insight on what this indicates in the larger context of this discussion.
    Right now would be great time for VizRT to speak up unless the idea is to kill LW with disinformation.
    Bill Carey

    3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

  5. #50

    FB info > https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...88153621290618

    Elmar Moelzer >
    Ok, so word I got is that LightWave is still supported and sold.
    Elmar Moelzer >
    From what I understand, there were some structural changes. LW development is getting more integrated with the rest of VizRT
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  6. #51
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,641
    It is sheer pandemonium on the facebook group. If someone from Vizrt/Newtek had jumped in immediately this debacle could have been avoided easily. But no, Newtek/Vizrt remains dead silent.

    "Lightwave is still supported and sold": not developed anymore then? And what is up with the indirect communication?



    Right now would be great time for VizRT to speak up unless the idea is to kill LW with disinformation.
    Indeed. "Speak now or ..."
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Right now would be great time for VizRT to speak up unless the idea is to kill LW with disinformation.
    I completely agree! None of this will help sales or inspire confidence in the product so they might as well just come out and explain whats going on.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  8. #53
    Time Traveller Andy Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    2,183
    It's funny that Lightwave is owned by two different companies and neither of them seem to value communicating with their user base
    Andy Webb

    Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

  9. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    It's funny that Lightwave is owned by two different companies and neither of them seem to value communicating with their user base
    I really think they need to chime in unless they want to lose users. Users seem to be extremely ficle these days for some reason. Users shouldn't make up their mind until we know for sure what's going on.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  10. #55
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,243
    Should we just not have a tiny bit little more patience with the company structural changes?

    A bit of a shame that the efforts put in to any given section seems to be soo little all over the sections, from the lack of improving these forums, to lack or very little plugin content, marketing to news articles.
    But as someone said, they still support and sell Lightwave, it has to count for something.

    "Pippin: "But we have the White Wizard… that's got to count for something."

    As for the situation around Jantti and the other guy, I do not know...I think itīs just to unnecessary to speculate after 4 days from their alleged leave, if that is the case...and I donīt wantīt to add more fuel to the pandemic it is now dead debate, just saying that those issues I mentioned about various sections, news, plugins, the forums, marketing...I just think they need to do something seriously different than what they have done for the last years.

    As for chiming in, I do not think we will see anything of them explaining anything, they have just had a release and still support that.

  11. #56
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I really think they need to chime in unless they want to lose users. Users seem to be extremely ficle these days for some reason. Users shouldn't make up their mind until we know for sure what's going on.
    "Social Media". The scourge of humanity at this point in time. While it can be used for good, mostly it's been having an entirely negative impact on the human condition.

    And I think this "event" serves to provide the final push for all those LW users to actually make the switch to something else. Most already were preparing to jump ship.

    What is happening now is merely a catalyst.
    Last edited by Rayek; 09-04-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  12. #57
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    "Social Media". The scourge of humanity at this point in time. While it can be used for good, mostly it's been having an entirely negative impact on the human condition.

    And I think this "event" serves to provide the final push for all those LW users to actually make the switch to something else. Most already were preparing to jump ship.

    What is happening now is merely a catalyst.
    Itīs the burn frankensteins monster lynch mob, and it is and will happen to more and more people and companies, states...so many seem inclined to follow the mob, without actually doing research about the matter...just impulse feelings and it sort of gives people an identity so gather around.

  13. #58
    We need at least a new blog post regarding this to clear things up otherwise users will be jumping ship left and right like lemmings and this really could end up being the final nail in Lightwaves coffin even if that's not the intent of Newtek or VizRT.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  14. #59

    well, four months to go...

    2021



    maybe we will hear a "peep"  


    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  15. #60
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,265
    Y'all realize that with so little information available, this could just be a terrible COVID-19 outbreak, right? Or maybe somebody kept microwaving fish for lunch and these devs said "enough! I'm outta here!"
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •