Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Happening with LW?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Very few liked that statement, many even jumped to another application.
    It only fueled the frustration when on top of that they have let 3 LightWave engineers go.

But, it has been said. A potential LightWave 2021 release could shed some light on the subject.
    Yes, unfortunately..I am guessing that kind of statement did more worse to the customer perspective than good, and in this case..they shouldnīt have communicated it, or in that way at all, either declare continued development with clarity, or no..we are not continuing development, or ..currently we can not discuss that, since the situation around development is very unsure, but perhaps that last is exactly where they stand, and that was the best formulation of it.

Quite remarkable, despite the thread, despite the urge of clarifying.
    The question still stands unanswered, speculations still goes on..so ergo, no..not a good respons in my opinion.

Not sure what they thought that comment would buy them? additional time to sort things out, more confident customers?

I wonder how the Lightwave developers will form, since they have no open position in the career ads, perhaps they solve it internally in reference to how that statement was around staff.
    If we were to see career ads of, software developers, coders ..to work with lightwave code etc, that would sort of give a better impression, but nada.

To be fair Vizrt didn't want to say anything at all, but the statement was curiously timed just after Steve mentioned that he sees Dr Cross regularly, then someone here implored Steve to have a private word with him about LW. Also, there were FB rumours of some sort of negotiation for a possible sale. If that were true, then there are all sorts of corporate nicities to observe, and all in strict confidence, so Vizrt couldn't say more than they said. On the other hand, Vizrt should be quite capable of integrating LW to their own capable realtime engine .
    Last edited by TheLexx; 09-30-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    LW was originally there to do motion graphics and for what they need is probably capable in most areas.
    Probably not, at least not without significantly better text support (which is a big focus for broadcast). C4D's native text support is non-destructive, offers vastly better kerning and spacing controls, and the mograph intgration is quite deep. LW can do similar with third-party plugins like dpont's and/or TrueArts, but when it comes to mograph-y text effects, even with third-party plugins requires significantly more effort to achieve similar results. Without third-party plugins, LW's text support esp. for mograph-y work is pretty limited, and destructive workflow (which is a pain if text ever needs editing / art direction tweaks).

IMO, in order to supplant C4D for mograph-y text stuff, VizRT would need to _seriously_ beef up LW's font/text handling, as well as grant some sort of non-destructive ability to generate 3D objects from text and allow sub-object-/poly-level manipulations/animations.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-30-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Feels a bit like the S.E.T.I Project,

We send out signals, and we listen..and listen for Intelligent life, or something that can communicate, but itīs nothing, that concludes..

They either just donīt feel itīs worth responding.
    There is no one there who can respond.
    We are too far away from eachother, they donīt hear us, or due to the distance, they have just started their morning meeting with coffe..waking up realizing they heard something, now they are planning to respond, some day in the future.

Something like that, the recent statement about Lightwave from them, sort of feels like the "Wow" signal popping up, then gone, got to give them that, at least we got something.
    Yeah pretty much.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

[QUOTE=prometheus;1601592]Yes, unfortunately..I am guessing that kind of statement did more worse to the customer perspective than good, and in this case..they shouldnīt have communicated it, or in that way at all, either declare continued development with clarity, or no..we are not continuing development, or ..currently we can not discuss that, since the situation around development is very unsure, but perhaps that last is exactly where they stand, and that was the best formulation of it.

Not sure what they thought that comment would buy them? additional time to sort things out, more confident customers?

The only confidence i have is that i have LightWave 2020 and they will continue to support it, outside of that, well none really.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Probably not, at least not without significantly better text support (which is a big focus for broadcast). C4D's native text support is non-destructive, offers vastly better kerning and spacing controls, and the mograph intgration is quite deep. LW can do similar with third-party plugins like dpont's and/or TrueArts, but when it comes to mograph-y text effects, even with third-party plugins requires significantly more effort to achieve similar results. Without third-party plugins, LW's text support esp. for mograph-y work is pretty limited, and destructive workflow (which is a pain if text ever needs editing / art direction tweaks).

IMO, in order to supplant C4D for mograph-y text stuff, VizRT would need to _seriously_ beef up LW's font/text handling, as well as grant some sort of non-destructive ability to generate 3D objects from text and allow sub-object-/poly-level manipulations/animations.
    Most of the editing of models in LW carries some inherent destructiveness, which is why I and others have been banging on about modeler updates for years to no real avail.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Most of the editing of models in LW carries some inherent destructiveness, which is why I and others have been banging on about modeler updates for years to no real avail.
    Absolutely, and agree 100%. However, it's conceivable to somewhat address that for text handling without generally addressing that for all objects. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way (creates a ton of special corner cases that wind up limiting proper general solution later), but they could as a "quick" path to animation-friendly text.

I don't actually think any such thing is happening, though. Folks have been grasping at ever-more-minute straws w.r.t. LW for nearly two decades, and the straws provided have only become scarcer and smaller. When overhyping and underdelivery has been a constant for so long, continued expectations for overdelivery are folly, nothing more.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    To be fair Vizrt didn't want to say anything at all, but the statement was curiously timed just after Steve mentioned that he sees Dr Cross regularly, then someone here implored Steve to have a private word with him about LW.
    I don't actually think any conversation I participated in had anything to do with that statement or its timing, though I get the point you were making otherwise.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Also, there were FB rumours of some sort of negotiation for a possible sale. If that were true, then there are all sorts of corporate nicities to observe, and all in strict confidence, so Vizrt couldn't say more than they said.
    Had the negotiations still been underway, VizRT wouldn't even have been able to say what they did say (w.r.t. staffing/team integrations). Further, during negotiations for LW's sale, any LW engineer departures/terminations/whatever from Newtek/VizRT would have nigh-certainly jeopardized (most likely, terminated) negotiations -- they would have invalidated the due diligence, and forced re-valuation, at the minimum.

Regardless, those two events both strongly reinforce the "past tense" premise of the mentions: That negotiations for LW sale had occurred, but already fell through.
    John W.

i'm getting old man'

they best get their act together man'

grey beard has arrived  [hides]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i'm getting old man'

they best get their act together man'

grey beard has arrived  [hides]
    Blah..

Iīm turning 55 october 24th, then I suspect I will have to work 12 years more before start to think about retirement..to ensure a pension that will at least be suffient, thatīs okey though if I will
    continue to work with things that are creative and not to hard on the body.

Retire earlier would require a lotto win or very good investments, or a new job with a very high salery, canīt go on and work and being used with the kidn of extremely low wages Ivé been getting for the kind of work Ivé been doing.

I think my grey beard arrived along 3 years ago, along with the hair I have left, thereīs a solution though...just shave it off, all of it..because you are worth it
    Then again it could be charming, just look at SBowie, nothing blue about it..just grey, the same charm as the Mel Gibson beard.

The vibe I got from this year's SIGGRAPH is that EVERYONE is looking to move on.
    From what I saw the word on the street is that Blender (medium to low end work) , and Houdini (high end)will be the kings of the hill in the foreseable future.
    EVERYONE of the classic content development apps is in trouble (From Maya to C4D) one way or another.
    EDIT: The event of Real time (With Unity/ UnReal) , Augmented reality and VR has changed the game over night.
    Having said that...
    LW is an important tool in my arsenal. But it will NOT be the only tool. And it should not be.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 09-30-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

well, at least i Finally got to render a decent test animation...
    ...additional credit to William Vaughan

as for work, i'm Ok where i am now, but stress at school is Extreme, much due to Corona.
    Ulcer gave a visit last Friday, so stayed at home.
    we're waiting forever for that darn vaccine.  

having a few days off now, and it is Fantastic! LoL

I might retire at 62, who knows, depends on what kind of job it is.
    The pay isn't great, so not a fan, but luckily the kids are fun and it is for a good cause so it is alright.

The vibe I got from this year's SIGGRAPH is that EVERYONE is looking to move on.
    From what I saw the word on the street is that Blender, and Houdini will be the kings of the hill in the foreseeable future.
    EVERYONE of the classic content development apps is in trouble (From Maya to C4D) is in trouble one way or another.
    yes, have a feeling things are going through a 3D transition.
    the kings need to wake up.
    Last edited by erikals; 09-30-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Nice work... And I can relate on feeling bit long in the tooth. Take care
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    From what I saw the word on the street is that Blender, and Houdini will be the kings of the hill in the foreseable future.
    EVERYONE of the classic content development apps is in trouble (From Maya to C4D) one way or another.
    EDIT: The event of Real time (With Unity/ UnReal) , Augmented reality and VR has changed the game over night.
    Having said that...
    LW is an important tool in my arsenal. But it will NOT be the only tool. And it should not be.
    The next big thing will be more or less the dumbed down Photoshop version of 3D. Open app, plop down some assets that you got on-line, move your camera around, take your picture. No rendering required. There won't even be any money in creating assets as those will be all 3D scans.

Modo is actually on the right track in regards to securing a future as they are pushing the product development side of things. Movies with big time effects will still be made with Maya, Houdini and proprietary tools. TV will use India artists using pirated stuff and hobbiest will use free Blender.

Vizrt and Lightwave really don't mix. Vizrt is high-end expensive network television stuff. Newtek is Youtube produce on a budget stuff. So while this announcement was from Vizrt, I think LW is still a Newtek product and always should be.

I've been mucking about with Blender and I quite like it. And Modeler seems old and clunky when I go back to it. But man can I get stuff done in Modeler as well as the great rendering in Layout, so a lot of what Blender has to offer is cool eye candy and a slick customizable user interface. Nothing Modeler couldn't have if they just do it.
    Tim Parsons

Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast