Thread: how to animate an uv texture in lightwave

how to animate an uv texture in lightwave

hello
    I can't find a way to do that, simply animate an uv texture respective to a null position. I tried on uv pos, uv offset, with a vector scale node, nothing works. I need to have the tiled texture move along the river. I could of course make a planar mapping with the river straight and morph It in position , this way the texture would follow It's curves and stay along It.
    But I want (need) to do It with UV.

Any idea? That should be simple!

Thank you

It is simple. Plugging a scalar from a vector scalar node from an item info node referencing the null into the U offset and/or the V offset input of the image node should work. It works for me you can't see in in gl only vpr.

Yeap, stupid me (again), I was trying to plug a vector scale instead of a vector scalar.
    Let's put that on the aging...

Thank you!

And What if you want to distort an image on uv projection with, say, a procedural? Normally I would plug the bump pf the procedural on the position / rotation or scale of another procedural to modify / distort It. But It doesn't work with my Image maped on the uv.

Im not really sure how you would best go about that to be honest. If you are looking to distort the image before it is uv mapped your best bet might be to do the distortion as an animated image sequence (by simply mapping the texture to a high poly plane and rendering a sequence where you animate a displacement for example), and then using that sequence instead of a static image. I am not sure how you would do it in a material. Perhaps there is an image filter or node out there that will let you do it in the same material, or there is some other way to do it, but I was required to distort an image texture, I would just render an animated distortion and use that instead.

DPkit layerPlus nodes again to the rescue !!

(well partly since it will only work in vpr / render output not in the gl textured view)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavynodes.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	148601

You basically feed the UV pos to a planar mapped opos input of a ColorLayerPlus Node
    Adjust the texture coordinates so it fits into the 0 to 1.0 space (+0.5 in x and y)
    and, if needed, scale the y or x coordinate by minus 1 to flip the image

to add wavyness simply use a procedural with additive blending mode to the uv coordinates

hope this helps
    chris

ahhh, color layer from DPkit.
    Great, thank you Chris for the explanation AND the clear example image.

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    And What if you want to distort an image on uv projection with, say, a procedural? Normally I would plug the bump pf the procedural on the position / rotation or scale of another procedural to modify / distort It. But It doesn't work with my Image maped on the uv.
    Like several DPKit 2018 Tool nodes (Moce, Rotate, Twist..)
    the Deformer Tool node from has an UV Coordinates mode,
    working exclusively with ObjecUV mapping,
    which is the main or unique UV map of the surfaced object.

So the Image node must be set to this mapping mode,
    use Color or Bump input,
    then the input procedural is plugged in Deformer input.

You may also plug a Normal into the Bump input
    until the Bump output is plugged finally in a Normal input.

Denis.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    You don't need anything fancy..

Add Turbulence node, get Bump from it, plug to Vector Scalar, extract e.g. X, in second Vector Scalar extract Z, one plug to U Offset in Image node, and the other one plug to V Offset. Now you have distorted image with UV Map (or other projection).

Add Null, make it Reference for Turbulence. Move it. And image is distorted and animated.

Decrease Bump Amplitude accordingly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distorted.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	148607  

TrueArt Support
    I recorded video tutorial how to make animatable distortions of UV projected image. You can see it in this thread:
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...with-subtitles