Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW 2020 Alembic export not recognised in other programs

LW 2020 Alembic export not recognised in other programs

I've been trying to export an Alembic animation file from Lightwave to Marvelous desiner. However even though MD imports both types of Alembic files that LW exports, they are not recognised by MD. When you go to import in md and select Alembic import, MD cannot see the file exported from LW 2020. Why is this?? Shouldn't LW Alembic be up to date compatible??

I've just noticed. If I export an Alembic file from Lightwave and then try to import that same file back into lightwave, LW cannot see its own exported file.
    Last edited by genesis1; 08-24-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Hmm. I'm not sure about Marvelous designer. Never used that. I have exported Alembic to Modo, which works fine. I've also imported Alembic from Modo, which also worked.

Well when I export an Alembic and then try to import it back in, LW doesn't even see it in the folder to click on.

TrueArt Support
    I made sphere in Layout (Model > Geometry > Sphere), enabled Smoothing in Surface Editor, Toggle Subpatch,
    used File > Save > Export > Export Alembic
    changed path to C:\Temp\name.abc (it's called "Output Directory" dunno why, because it must be file not directory),
    every other settings leaved default.
    Exported.

Then cleared scene,
    used File > Load > Import > Import Alembic
    picked up file C:\Temp\name.abc
    and Layout (LW 2020.0.2) loaded it.

There is missing Smoothing in Surface Editor settings.

If you do the same as I described above, it does not work for you?

I, too, made a simple sphere with an animated displacement on it. Then exported an Alembic file. The file should have a .abc after it. Also using LW 2020.0.2.

Then, same as Sensei, used File > Load > Import > Import Alembic, and picked my file. It brought it in, no problem.

Did a file get exported at all? Maybe it just didn't put the .abc on it. Perhaps that is why your file requester doesn't see anything.

I've not tried exporting from modeler as I want to export an animated character with motion, so it needs to be exported from layout. So modeler would be no help in this instance. I tried using fbx instead with
    animated settings, but Marvelous designer would only import it as a static model and all the movement was lost. Maybe if anyone has used these 2 programs together they could explain their work flow.
    What I want to do is animate a character body in LW, export it, then import into MD and use its cloth simulation, then send it back to lightwave.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    I've not tried exporting from modeler
    Nobody said we were exporting from Modeler..

I will double check if it put abc on the file when I saved it. I know the file is there if I browse for it, it just doesn't show up if I'm trying to load it, so maybe that's the problem. I will try what you have said.
    Sorry I miss read when you said you created a sphere and thought you were creating it in modeler and exporting it, my fault.

Why is this?? Shouldn't LW Alembic be up to date compatible??
    Alembic was always broken in LW. Alembic simulations with changing point count doesn't work in LW which makes it impossible to import fluid simulations for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Alembic was always broken in LW. Alembic simulations with changing point count doesn't work in LW which makes it impossible to import fluid simulations for example.
    Probably explains the problems I'm having then.
    I can import an Alembic file into LW from another source no problem. When I export from LW and then import the same file that was just exported it then ask for an mdd file as well.
    All I want to do is be able to export an animated body into Marvelous designer, add clothes and process the material collisions, then export the animation with clothes back into lightwave, but I can't seem to find a way of successfully doing that.

Probably explains the problems I'm having then.
    I can import an Alembic file into LW from another source no problem. When I export from LW and then import the same file that was just exported it then ask for an mdd file as well.
    All I want to do is be able to export an animated body into Marvelous designer, add clothes and process the material collisions, then export the animation with clothes back into lightwave, but I can't seem to find a way of successfully doing that.
    Works for me here.
    Using LW 2020 trial

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Well, LightWave is missing the ability to deal with dynamic polygoncount. This has nothing to do with Alembic though.

What you can do though, is to export an object sequence from your fluidsim tool and embedd the motionvectors as a vertex map attribute. You can then use the regular object sequence replacer in LW and apply vector motion blur node that is found in DB&W Patreon toolset. This should allow LW to render fluid simulations with proper 3D motionblur.

Genesis1... make sure that when you export Alembic, that you have the objects you want to export selected before you launch the Export Alembic Tool. Otherwise it will not export anything.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Finally got it to work. Thanks for all the advice. Was just a matter of adding abc onto the file when I saved it. I mistakingly thought lightwave was adding the file extention as it was saving in Alembic.
    Have now successfully transfered back and forth between lightwave and Marvelous designer. Thanks all.

Finally got it to work. Thanks for all the advice. Was just a matter of adding abc onto the file when I saved it. I mistakingly thought lightwave was adding the file extention as it was saving in Alembic.
    It's a bug. Specifically, a misconfiguration in that file requester setup. The file (directory, really, which is part of the misconfig) requester triggered by the Alembic export dialog ("Output Directory") prepopulates in such a way that the extension ".abc", though present, is immediately erased by typed text -- that doesn't happen when the file requester is properly configured, new text should only replace the filename, not the extension. The file requester doesn't understand there's an extension involved. Even the "Hide Extension" checkbox does nothing because the requester doesn't recognize any extension is present.

Oddly, on open/load they've demonstrated they clearly know how to configure the requester to require and even filter on extension/filetype, because that file requester does just that.

I recommend filing a bug report, including a screen shot of the requester showing how it initially appears.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-25-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It's a bug. Specifically, a misconfiguration in that file requester setup. The file (directory, really, which is part of the misconfig) requester triggered by the Alembic export dialog ("Output Directory") prepopulates in such a way that the extension ".abc", though present, is immediately erased by typed text -- that doesn't happen when the file requester is properly configured, new text should only replace the filename, not the extension. The file requester doesn't understand there's an extension involved. Even the "Hide Extension" checkbox does nothing because the requester doesn't recognize any extension is present.

Oddly, on open/load they've demonstrated they clearly know how to configure the requester to require and even filter on extension/filetype, because that file requester does just that.

I recommend filing a bug report, including a screen shot of the requester showing how it initially appears.
    sounds like a schoolboy error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast