Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LW & Kitbash NeoCity

there is no sanctuary....
    I just tested a fixed fbx from kitbash, they said they’ll be updating the downloads in the near future to fix both the FBX and obj / mtl files.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

I'm pulling all 18 kits I own at the moment and will run through all of the ones that have been upgraded to the 4.0 builds. Sadly, about half of my kits are now "legacy" kits and won't ever see the upgrade, but I've already broken those out into workable objects, textured them for native and octane and integarted them into my libraries so it's not too bad. Still would love to have the new UV layouts though.

Scott

I've tested the new downloads of NeoCities and Shangri La kits. Neither one are fixed so the images still don't link with the FBX. The MTL files for the OBJ versions are also still missing the image links.

All that said, however, the new kits are pretty nice. Here's what the new surface layout and a VPR view of one of the buildings in the NEO Cities looks like. Took me about 30 minutes to surface the entire kit using ODTool's great little "PBR Importer" tool. I adjusted the bump strength to 20% and you have to move the opacity map from transparency to clip on *some* objects, based on what it's being applied to (the decals for instance).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-24 03.44.49.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	148757

Very nice!
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by dlvphoto View Post
    I've tested the new downloads of NeoCities and Shangri La kits. Neither one are fixed so the images still don't link with the FBX. The MTL files for the OBJ versions are also still missing the image links.

All that said, however, the new kits are pretty nice. Here's what the new surface layout and a VPR view of one of the buildings in the NEO Cities looks like. Took me about 30 minutes to surface the entire kit using ODTool's great little "PBR Importer" tool. I adjusted the bump strength to 20% and you have to move the opacity map from transparency to clip on *some* objects, based on what it's being applied to (the decals for instance).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-24 03.44.49.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	148757
    Looks good! They didn't say when they were going to redo the files, so who knows.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Looks good! They didn't say when they were going to redo the files, so who knows.
    I'm tempted to see if I can clear enough time in my schedule after I deliver the two book-cover projects I'm working on to write a quick FBX analyzer to show things like image links and surface attributes in python* and send it to them.

"Here, export your kits. Run this and LOOK!!!! at the image and surface references. Are they correct? No? Then fix it!"

May even see if it'd be possible to add the ability to edit the FBX refernces in place and export a new fbx file from the script but that's down the road. Reading an FBX file is one thing. Writing one? That's a whole other kettle of chrome teapots.

(when/if I do, it'll be on my github repo so anyone can take a look, use it, modify it, whatever... open source is fun, yo!)

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dlvphoto View Post
    I'm tempted to see if I can clear enough time in my schedule after I deliver the two book-cover projects I'm working on to write a quick FBX analyzer to show things like image links and surface attributes in python* and send it to them.

"Here, export your kits. Run this and LOOK!!!! at the image and surface references. Are they correct? No? Then fix it!"

May even see if it'd be possible to add the ability to edit the FBX refernces in place and export a new fbx file from the script but that's down the road. Reading an FBX file is one thing. Writing one? That's a whole other kettle of chrome teapots.

(when/if I do, it'll be on my github repo so anyone can take a look, use it, modify it, whatever... open source is fun, yo!)

Scott
    They do know, they sent me both the fbx and the obj with the new mtl file, both worked fine. Just a matter of them running and uploading updates. I saw some other people asking, so one more couldn't hurt, maybe speed the process up. I just told them I'm not buying until they are fixed. (Which is a shame, missed a good sale!)
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12