Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW & Kitbash NeoCity

there is no sanctuary....

LW & Kitbash NeoCity

Kitbash is offering the Neo City kit for free. Unfortunately I can't get either the FBX or the obj files to link the textures.

Has anyone else tried this with success? I reloaded another kit from the FBX and it worked fine, so I don't think LW has changed. Tried both load scene and interchange.

Thanks.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Works for me. Textures need to be in the right path.

I'm having the same issue as Carey w/ both the OBJ and FBX.

The extracted file creates a KB3DTextures folder and I'm not asked where anything is when I import the FBX or open the OBJ in Modeler.

What you have different Tim?
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

I had no luck with the images in the FBX/OBJ package. I went back and downloaded the .blend file option, immediately saving out a FBX from Blender. That FBX loaded into LW fine, with images.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I had no luck with the images in the FBX/OBJ package. I went back and downloaded the .blend file option, immediately saving out a FBX from Blender. That FBX loaded into LW fine, with images.
    Will give that a try tomorrow then.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Thanks, that worked. Forgot I had even installed Blender. Not sure what path structure Tim used, but I wasn't able to figure it out.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

For OBJ check *.mtl file in case links are absolute instead relative and then put OBJ file in same folder where textures are in case it didn't ask you for textures on loading.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    For OBJ check *.mtl file in case links are absolute instead relative and then put OBJ file in same folder where textures are in case it didn't ask you for textures on loading.
    I checked the mtl, the links are missing completely. After loading the native version into blender, exporting the fbx, loading into lightwave you can the export obj files and the links are included. Roundabout, but it works.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Yeah if there is no *.mtl then it's normal that LW will not load textures, no app will since it's not written where is and what is the texture .

as for FBX Lw 2018-> has two different systems of loading FBX, one OLD (just like regular loading models) and new Interchange version though interchange panel so maybe try both and see do they work same.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

There is an mtl file, it’s just missing the image links. Tried both ways loading the fbx, same result for me.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Yup, that worked.

So I wonder what it is that Blender is getting right & LW et.al. aren't?

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Blender is only getting its own file format (.blend) right. I never bothered to check if Blender properly opened the OBJ/FBX package. I'm not at the computer to check now.

I can confirm the OBJ is garbage because there are no image files referenced in the companion MTL file. Blender would not do any better opening the OBJ file.

Maybe someone can try to open the FBX in Blender (or any other app).
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Just opened the FBX that Blender created & seems fine. I'm so unfamiliar with it to do much, but the textures & geom all seem to be in place.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

What path did you put the images in? None of the paths I've been able to figure out, including the ones I've found by examining the FBX files with a hex editor and trying the paths embedded in them works. What I'm seeing is that the new versions of the kits have an invalid surface type baked in that nothing outside of Max can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dlvphoto View Post
    What path did you put the images in? None of the paths I've been able to figure out, including the ones I've found by examining the FBX files with a hex editor and trying the paths embedded in them works. What I'm seeing is that the new versions of the kits have an invalid surface type baked in that nothing outside of Max can understand.
    I'm not sure now several weeks later. If I was given an option from Blender, I saved it to a separate export folder I normally use. The FBX itself usually contains the image folder so when Open via Layout, that simply gets created in the same folder as the FBX.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast