Thread: Audio control surfaces

Audio control surfaces

The Tricaster audio controls are very simple, but difficult to control with any precision. The onscreen mixer gets the job done, but the fader throw is short and hard to get a smooth fade. A tiny movement drops the sound level right off the cliff. The fader on the left edge of the video is dangerous because it can lead to misclicking on a video source. I know there's a touchscreen option, but adding a good fader option shouldn't be a $1000 software upgrade.

Allowing us to add an audio control surface to the mix (pun intended) would be incredibly useful. Many surfaces use the Mackie protocol, so incorporating that into Tricaster would open up many hardware options for us.

A different option might be to allow us to use one of the fader bars as an audio fader.

You should have a look into Central control software, which might help you : https://centralcontrol.io/

Central Control coupled with a physical control surface is ideal. I use the Behringer X-Touch Compact surface which I bought on ebay for $200. Works great and you can make it do much more than just audio control.

A huge plus of Central Control is that you can operate your system remotely without any additional software other than Central Control (EG, no requirements for TeamViewer or other remote software although I do use them).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Central Control coupled with a physical control surface is ideal. I use the Behringer X-Touch Compact surface which I bought on ebay for $200. Works great and you can make it do much more than just audio control.

A huge plus of Central Control is that you can operate your system remotely without any additional software other than Central Control (EG, no requirements for TeamViewer or other remote software although I do use them).

Fritz Golman
    I am interested in the same - to have an audio control surface with real faders. I have a Tricaster 410 Win 7 with AE3. The Central Control looks interesting. I am considering to buy the Behringer X-Touch Universal Control Surface. It also has an ethernet connection. Is your Behringer X-Touch Compact connected to a Win 10 PC that runs the Central Control software - and then the X Touch Compact is connected to your Tricaster via USB or ?
    ------------------
    John P

I've have the X-Touch compact and it only has USB. Not sure if the Ethernet port on the Universal works in this configuration.

BUT, my X-Touch is connected to Win 10 laptop, via USB, which is running CC. That laptop then connected via Ethernet/Internet to TriCaster. I'm port forwarding through my router to port 5952. All you need to do is enter the local or remote IP address of the TriCaster into CC (no port needed) and you'll be connected. CC supports the digest authentication of the TriCaster ID and password, too, which I highly recommend you use if you have your TriCaster on the Internet. Same configuration (minus the router port forward) if you're on the same LAN as the TriCaster.

There's a free 30 day evaluation of CC, too. Just download it and away you go. And if you do get it, it's only $50, quite a bargain.

Fritz Golman

I've have the X-Touch compact and it only has USB. Not sure if the Ethernet port on the Universal works in this configuration.

BUT, my X-Touch is connected to Win 10 laptop, via USB, which is running CC. That laptop then connected via Ethernet/Internet to TriCaster. I'm port forwarding through my router to port 5952. All you need to do is enter the local or remote IP address of the TriCaster into CC (no port needed) and you'll be connected. CC supports the digest authentication of the TriCaster ID and password, too, which I highly recommend you use if you have your TriCaster on the Internet. Same configuration (minus the router port forward) if you're on the same LAN as the TriCaster.

There's a free 30 day evaluation of CC, too. Just download it and away you go. And if you do get it, it's only $50, quite a bargain.

Fritz Golman
    Thank you. I have made a setup with a Netgear router, that makes my own IP range for Tricaster and PTZ-1 and the eventual needed laptops. In front of the router I have the internet connection. The router is connected to a POE switch to feed the PTZ-1 cameras.

So a PC with CC and the X-Touch will give me real faders to work with. How is the configuration between ie fader 1 on the X-Touch and ie DDR1 being done? Which software controls this relation?
    ------------------
    John P

Hi John,

When you set up CC you'll map your devices physical controls to the specific functions in the TriCaster. So, you can map any fader to any audio level that you see in the audio mixer tab in the UI.

If you want to mirror exactly, you've got eight faders that could be the first eight in the audio mixer and the then the ninth is your master. Or you can mix and match and have any fader be for any purpose (EG, fader 1 is DDR 1).

This is all done inside the CC setup when you initially set up your devices (the device mapping button).

You should join up the CC Facebook page as you'll be able to tap into the entire user community (and the developer, Joe de Max) very easily.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman

Hi John,

When you set up CC you'll map your devices physical controls to the specific functions in the TriCaster. So, you can map any fader to any audio level that you see in the audio mixer tab in the UI.

If you want to mirror exactly, you've got eight faders that could be the first eight in the audio mixer and the then the ninth is your master. Or you can mix and match and have any fader be for any purpose (EG, fader 1 is DDR 1).

This is all done inside the CC setup when you initially set up your devices (the device mapping button).

You should join up the CC Facebook page as you'll be able to tap into the entire user community (and the developer, Joe de Max) very easily.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Hi Fritz. This was exactly what I was looking for. I am really looking forward to having a X-Touch in my setup. I have also joined the CC Facebook group. Thanks again.
    ------------------
    John P

Quote Originally Posted by jopdk View Post
    Hi Fritz. This was exactly what I was looking for. I am really looking forward to having a X-Touch in my setup. I have also joined the CC Facebook group. Thanks again.
    Welcome!
    Central Control - MIDI, OSC and StreamDeck control for TriCaster and 3Play - centralcontrol.io