Thread: Is SwiftEdgeLoop still the best way to control an edge loop angle and distance?

Is SwiftEdgeLoop still the best way to control an edge loop angle and distance?

With LW2020, is TrueArt's SwiftEdgeLoop still the fastest way to add edges at angles parallel to an edge at an odd angle? I'm looking for the best way to add an edge ring above the lowest joint ring equidistant to that loop. All the tools I've tried either don't have the necessary control and create something akin to the top 2 loops or require adjusting each individual segment at a time. Edit Edges alone doesn't have the needed control and while LWCAD's Offset seems to work, it doesn't allow mass selecting a whole loop and creating the new edge ring. Bandsaw and then Edit Edges would work on this simple example, but I find it's hard to do with more complex surfaces. $50 for a single plugin seems kind of steep, but if SwiftEdgeLoop is that good I'll consider it, assuming it still works on the Mac version of LW2020.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loop-practice.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	148510

TrueArt Support
    With LW2020, is TrueArt's SwiftEdgeLoop still the fastest way to add edges at angles parallel to an edge at an odd angle? I'm looking for the best way to add an edge ring above the lowest joint ring equidistant to that loop. All the tools I've tried either don't have the necessary control and create something akin to the top 2 loops or require adjusting each individual segment at a time. Edit Edges alone doesn't have the needed control and while LWCAD's Offset seems to work, it doesn't allow mass selecting a whole loop and creating the new edge ring. Bandsaw and then Edit Edges would work on this simple example, but I find it's hard to do with more complex surfaces. $50 for a single plugin seems kind of steep, but if SwiftEdgeLoop is that good I'll consider it, assuming it still works on the Mac version of LW2020.
    When I want to make edge loop equidistant to some odd angle area, I am switching to Metric mode, then making edge loop by RMB on cylinder (does not matter it is "wrong"), then dragging edge loop to the bottom, total bottom so they merge together.
    Then without dropping SwiftEdgeLoop, I am sliding it back slightly, a few mm. It is important! Tool will remember what is "reference". Then can enter distance in the GUI. Here I used 100 mm distance from the bottom.

Full screen, so you can see it is at an odd angle:

Repetition of the above:

Repetition of the above, this time with the bottom mesh, twice, and turn sub-patches on:

It blended nicely as Sub-Patches!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab SwiftEdgeLoop 2.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	148511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab SwiftEdgeLoop 1.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	148512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab SwiftEdgeLoop 3.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	148513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab SwiftEdgeLoop 4.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	148514  
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-21-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of control I'm looking for. I was asking if there have been any native tools added to Lightwave that are included with LW2020 that can replicate this behavior.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
    ...$50 for a single plugin seems kind of steep...
    Framing plugin expense for the time it saves, $50 is a bargain. However, it may seem more appealing at an average price of under $8...if you purchase the 40+ tools in the bundled modeling pack. There's a lot of good stuff in there.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

That's a good pont. I want ahead and ordered the single plugin.