Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Modeler Crashes with big file 2018 version

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501

    Modeler Crashes with big file 2018 version

    I know they don't support 2018 version anymore but I am perplexed and wanted some suggestions. I have a very large obj file (turbosquid) and modeler 2018 crashes when trying to open it. I am able to open it in 2015 version modeler and save it to an lwo. I then tried opening that in 2018 but crashes. I changed it to wireframe and still crashes. Any suggestions?

    It is a lot of polygons and I recognize this but my thought is if the software can't handle what I want than what good is the software. Anyway, I really like Lightwave and don't want to switch. Thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501
    I was being dumb. I got the fbx import to work so now I have the scene open and it is working but now I have to re texture everything. Ughh

    With the fbx import it has tons of objects instead of just one giant one so maybe this is the best way to do it. I was not able to get modeler to open the file unless it was in 2015.

  3. #3
    Wouldn't you have to re-texture everything anyway? Obj or FBX? I've always had to.
    Tim Parsons

  4. #4
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I was being dumb. I got the fbx import to work so now I have the scene open and it is working but now I have to re texture everything. Ughh

    With the fbx import it has tons of objects instead of just one giant one so maybe this is the best way to do it. I was not able to get modeler to open the file unless it was in 2015.
    File a bug report against 2018, and include the LWO model that loads in LW2015 but crashes LW2018. There's NO valid excuse for a LW-written LWO (esp. one written by immed. prior LW version) to crash a subsequent LW version.

    If they can't maintain that minimal level of backward format compatibility without injecting and releasing new crash defects, they shouldn't be making code changes, period.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-14-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Wouldn't you have to re-texture everything anyway? Obj or FBX? I've always had to.
    In 2015 when the file was opening it was asking for the images and I just selected them and it got it right. Normally I have to pretty much unless I have turbosquid do a file conversion for me. (I did request this but could not wait the 3 business days)

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    File a bug report against 2018, and include the LWO model that loads in LW2015 but crashes LW2018. There's NO valid excuse for a LWO (esp. one written by immed. prior LW version) to crash a subsequent LW version.

    If they can't maintain that minimal level of backward format compatibility without injecting and releasing new crash defects, they shouldn't be making code changes, period.
    I contacted support and they said they no longer do bug fixes for 2018. Just 2019 and 2020. They did confirm they don't see problems in the new versions of Lightwave. Having them try and get it working in 2018 is probably not worth their time. I am also trying to see if I can make it work with other methods but so far nothing.

  7. #7
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I contacted support and they said they no longer do bug fixes for 2018. Just 2019 and 2020. They did confirm they don't see problems in the new versions of Lightwave.
    So they tried with your LWO file, and it didn't cause problems for LW2019 or LW2020?

    You can always try downloading the LW2020 demo and see whether the file crashes in it or not.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501
    They did not try with my files. Just told me that they don't support Lightwave 2018. I think that is a good idea to try the demo.

    The file size is too big for modeler. I tried breaking it down in 2015 into parts but it took so long I gave up. Do other animation software have these issues? Just wondering if it is just a Lightwave issue or my buying models that are too big.

  9. #9
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    2,033
    Out of curiosity, are using the OBJ One layer option checked on or off?

    If the file requires to be one object and the option is off, it will crash Modeler. If the model doesn't need to be one object & you uncheck that, you generally get nice ordered layers which is easier for both Modeler & Layout to handle oddly enough.

    I often risk the crash leaving that OFF since I know what's causing it & I'd rather have layers if I can get them. You'd think by now, some clever lad with Newtek would have come up with an OBJ Open routine that asks you that BEFORE hand, as in during the opening process.

    FBX will usually use the label Model_UV where as an OBJ will use uvmap. Often you can just go in just change the uv assignment.

    There could be a number of reasons for large file size depending on the object. When you got it open in 2015, did you check for merging points, stuff light that?
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

    The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    501
    I did not even know about that option. Looking into that now. Where is that option?

  11. #11
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I did not even know about that option. Looking into that now. Where is that option?
    Just tap O wehn in Modeler for the options panel & it's under OBJ.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

    The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

  12. #12
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    8,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I know they don't support 2018 version anymore but I am perplexed and wanted some suggestions. I have a very large obj file (turbosquid) and modeler 2018 crashes when trying to open it. I am able to open it in 2015 version modeler and save it to an lwo. I then tried opening that in 2018 but crashes. I changed it to wireframe and still crashes. Any suggestions?
    Open file in LW 2015,
    flush the all surfaces (the easiest is to select everything in polygon mode, then press 'q' and give new unique name),
    turn off sub-patches, if you have any,
    save file with new name.
    It should reduce memory usage.

    Try opening it in LW 2018 / LW 2020 again.

    Traditional sub-patches with default level 3 increases memory usage by 9-18 times.
    CC sub-patches with default level 3 increases memory usage by 64-128 times.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-15-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •