Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super slow Modeler performance with rtx 2070

Exclamation Super slow Modeler performance with rtx 2070

Some time ago I upgraded from a quadro p4000 to an RTX 2070 to take advantage of GPU rendering in Keyshot. I'm having horrible performance in modeler. I recently opened up a model I have used for years. Current layer has 50,000 polys and it is taking 5-10 seconds to just move the model(all viewports set to wireframe). If I try to move some of the polys it goes slightly faster but still basically unusable to make anything but the most basic edit. Just upgraded to latest Nvidia driver and Lightwave 2020. I'm working on a dual Xeon 8168 Platinum system. I'm guessing it is some sort of setting I have off in the driver? I can't believe this is the best I can get out of a newish rtx card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

actually the Quadro card was properly better at open GL, but afaik the CPU takes care of most of the open GL, i dont think your nvidia settings will have much impact on performance, the only one that sometimes has an issue is Vsync, off is usually better, im guessing the quadro took more care of the OGL where as now you moved to a gaming card it might have moved more back to CPU (im only guessing based on here say by the way)
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Just seems odd as NewTek doesn't even list the Quadro as recommended hardware. Just crazy stupid slow to work on even 10k poly model.

you could try what people are saying in this thread as its a similar issue, https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-and-lightwave
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quadro never worked well in LightWave.

LightWave is all about CPU.

unless you use Octane for rendering.

splitting object into several layers helps a lot.

nope, Modeler ain't a beast when it comes down to poly handling.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

- - - Updated - - -

also turn Vsync off >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs4YnBd4zvE

also use Buffered >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWsRrHnul8
    Last edited by erikals; 08-10-2020 at 02:26 PM.

related >

related >

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    Some time ago I upgraded from a quadro p4000 to an RTX 2070 to take advantage of GPU rendering in Keyshot. I'm having horrible performance in modeler. I recently opened up a model I have used for years. Current layer has 50,000 polys and it is taking 5-10 seconds to just move the model(all viewports set to wireframe). If I try to move some of the polys it goes slightly faster but still basically unusable to make anything but the most basic edit. Just upgraded to latest Nvidia driver and Lightwave 2020. I'm working on a dual Xeon 8168 Platinum system. I'm guessing it is some sort of setting I have off in the driver? I can't believe this is the best I can get out of a newish rtx card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
    What monitor size resolution?
    Are you running higher than 4k.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quadro always gave a performance increase in lw - even more in the modeler than in the Layout. I had to switch to quadro about 9 years ago, since my work then was connected with heavy objects that my gtx video cards could not pull. But with the quadro, it finally became possible to work on similar projects.
    I believe (did not check) that already starting with the generation of the 10th series gtx video cards, their performance approached the performance of the quadro series. You need to examine the driver's system settings.

Quadros certanly have some secret things going on that NVidia will not disclose....

I use Resolve for video editing, and on my other workstation having a GTX 1080, when rendering the edit to an MP4, it uses 0 GPU, but almost 100% CPU.

Same project on my current workstation (see sig).... 20% cpu and 50-70% GPU...

Other workstation performance is about 30FPS on a 60FPS movie, 1 hour edit takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to render.
    On my new, current workstation (see sig, again), same project takes 15-18 minutes to render to an MP4, that means somewhere between 200-300FPS rendering.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Ok, I found the problem, just not sure why. No I am not running a super high res display. (3840 x 2160 - not full screen). I have made all the suggested adjustments in display settings and Nvidia control panel. Nothing made a huge difference.

The model I am working with I sent to Zbrush and made some edits and then used goz to send it back to Lightwave. When it comes back to Lightwave it comes in with subpatch enabled on the model. No big deal right? If I try to move a 50k poly model with 2 layers it takes nearly 4-5 seconds to start moving and then it lags bad in the update. So last night I hit the tab to turn off subpatch, everything moves almost instantly with no lag. I hit tab again and activated subpatch on the entire model and it moves just fine! There appears to be some sort of issue with the subpatch that is auto activated when coming from Zbrush via goz. I tried the same thing with a 500k model and get the same issue/resolution. Now I did fire up 11.6 and have to say it is faster then 2020. But 2020 is usable again once you tab off and back on.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Wayne

TrueArt Support
    There are traditional sub-patches, and there are Catmull-Clark sub-patches.
    One traditional sub-patch is equivalent of n^2 quad polygons (n- level) if n=3 then 3*3=9
    One Catmull-Clark sub-patch is equivalent of (2^n)^2 quad polygons (n- level) if n=3 then (2^3)^2=8*8=64
    Multiply by 2 in Layout because it triangulates them.

Go to Object Properties, see Subdivision modifier to see what SubPatch Level is used.
    Above you have info.

The model was showing traditional sub-patch usage. Came in from Zbrush and activated that way. Yes Catmull-Clark does add quite a bit more load to the system. I just don't know why turning subd off and back on fixes it. Oh, I did realize one other thing. I did do the goz interchange with 2019. I upgraded and tried to work with the file in 2020 and it was a no go. Tried the same file in 2019 and it was just as slow until I turned off then on the subd. Very strange.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    The model was showing traditional sub-patch usage. Came in from Zbrush and activated that way. Yes Catmull-Clark does add quite a bit more load to the system. I just don't know why turning subd off and back on fixes it. Oh, I did realize one other thing. I did do the goz interchange with 2019. I upgraded and tried to work with the file in 2020 and it was a no go. Tried the same file in 2019 and it was just as slow until I turned off then on the subd. Very strange.
    Zip and attach this slow file in the reply.
    Attach file after switching sub-patches off and on in the reply.
    Compare in hex editor somebody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast