Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Best external surfacing software for use with LW?

  1. #1
    Registered User ianay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    172

    Best external surfacing software for use with LW?

    Pretty much what the title says, ive been looking at a few surfacing options but I cant find any with a 'great' transfer betweeen Lightwave..
    Which for you guys is best external surfacing for use with LW?
    Is there any that will produce all maps needed and automatically transfer?
    Is there any that takes LWOs?


    Substance Painter?
    3d coat?
    Body paint?

    Or any others out there?

    Thanks
    Last edited by ianay; 08-05-2020 at 09:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Don't forget zbrush
    Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64 Cores - 128Threads / 3 x GTX 2080 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2020 & Softimage user

  3. #3
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,583
    3D Coat loads .lwo files (up to 2015 only, have to export in 2015 format from anything newer).
    Exports lwo model and textures into LW, tweaking required though.
    Last edited by Markc; 08-05-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

  4. #4
    Super Member OlaHaldor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,010
    Why stick to LWO for what is a temporary file to bring it into a texturing tool?
    My vote goes to Substance Painter. Hands down the easiest tool to get started with. Tons of tutorials available if you need it.
    Feels solid, can do insane stuff with masking. Whether you want more stylized or realistic textures, it can do it.
    Don't think I've seen any script that bring textures back to LW though. I know there is something for Maya at least.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    Why stick to LWO for what is a temporary file to bring it into a texturing tool?
    My vote goes to Substance Painter. Hands down the easiest tool to get started with. Tons of tutorials available if you need it.
    Feels solid, can do insane stuff with masking. Whether you want more stylized or realistic textures, it can do it.
    Don't think I've seen any script that bring textures back to LW though. I know there is something for Maya at least.
    There is OD LW To Substance Painter To LW. Would that one cut it ?
    https://vimeo.com/263781201


  6. #6
    Registered User ianay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    172
    Im impressed with what ive seen of substance painter
    and reason why I would want model 'back' into LW?
    For rendering or any animation that needs done.

  7. #7
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Another useful tool from the commercial OD toolset: PBR Importer, which quickly configures your surface node setup in LW, regardless of what paint tool you use.

    https://vimeo.com/247088794
    https://vimeo.com/324991158



    As a free tool from OD, there's OD_CopyPasteExternal, which can help move data between many apps.

    https://github.com/heimlich1024/OD_CopyPasteExternal


    EDIT: to the original question, I have 3DCoat, Quixel and ArmorPaint in my toolbox. I've mostly avoided Substance because of unique licensing incompatibilities, but it works well.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 08-05-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  8. #8
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    EDIT: to the original question, I have 3DCoat, Quixel and ArmorPaint in my toolbox. I've mostly avoided Substance because of unique licensing incompatibilities, but it works well.
    Since Adobe took over Substance it’s off the table for me, don’t do subscriptions.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

  9. #9
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,082
    Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    Or any others out there?
    Quixel/EPIC Games' Mixer & Megascans
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  10. #10
    is Substance painter easier to use than 3d coat which to me is easy to use..

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Another useful tool from the commercial OD toolset: PBR Importer, which quickly configures your surface node setup in LW, regardless of what paint tool you use.

    https://vimeo.com/247088794
    https://vimeo.com/324991158



    As a free tool from OD, there's OD_CopyPasteExternal, which can help move data between many apps.

    https://github.com/heimlich1024/OD_CopyPasteExternal


    EDIT: to the original question, I have 3DCoat, Quixel and ArmorPaint in my toolbox. I've mostly avoided Substance because of unique licensing incompatibilities, but it works well.
    May I ask you what do you think of ArmorPaint ?

  13. #13
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    ArmorPaint is in its infancy so there's not a lot to think of yet. Epic gave it $25k so others seem to believe in its promise as well. The web site hits the key points on the homepage: https://armorpaint.org/

    Personally, I like:

    • no extreme GPU requirement
    • freely licensed
    • runs as a portable app from my USB drive, just like LightWave


    We're at a point where there's good competition and now some feature parity among the apps (possibly even a feature plateau). The question of which app to use really goes to the ecosystem of content that these apps rely on. This is where the revenue growth happens. I don't think Adobe cared as much for Substance Painter as for the related content store.

    https://materials.3dcoat.com/scans
    https://source.substance3d.com/
    https://quixel.com/megascans
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Since Adobe took over Substance it’s off the table for me, don’t do subscriptions.
    use the steam version

  15. #15
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    ArmorPaint is in its infancy so there's not a lot to think of yet. Epic gave it $25k so others seem to believe in its promise as well. The web site hits the key points on the homepage: https://armorpaint.org/

    Personally, I like:

    • no extreme GPU requirement
    • freely licensed
    • runs as a portable app from my USB drive, just like LightWave


    We're at a point where there's good competition and now some feature parity among the apps (possibly even a feature plateau). The question of which app to use really goes to the ecosystem of content that these apps rely on. This is where the revenue growth happens. I don't think Adobe cared as much for Substance Painter as for the related content store.

    https://materials.3dcoat.com/scans
    https://source.substance3d.com/
    https://quixel.com/megascans
    Thanks.
    I have been using Substance painter from the beta days, but I don't want to go subscription, and I didn't install my linux version yet (I still have a 2.6 permanent licence). For the time being, 3D-Coat is enough for my needs, even if Linux version is stuck at 4.8.20, which is a shame. Quixel Mixer get freezes under Wine, that's why I was asking about ArmorPaint, whch I have spotted a few months ago. I should pehraps try to install painter on Linux, maybe if I get stuck with 3D-Coat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •