Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best external surfacing software for use with LW?

I had to do some googling to learn about this new SBAS universal surfacing format. Not many search results returned.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I had to do some googling to learn about this new SBAS universal surfacing format. Not many search results returned.
    SBAS is the file format/extension for saved (not baked) Substance surfaces.

It's not that Allegorithmic necessarily intended it to be a "universal format" from the start, but because Substance support has now become so widespread, it's effectively become one through extreme breadth of support. You still need Substance apps to create/edit them, but there are extensive surface libraries available, and now that most popular 3D pkgs, game engines, renderers, etc. offer Substance support integrated as well, they've wound up solving most of the same requirements of a "universal surfacing format".

It's really no different from how FBX "fell into" being a "interchange format": Kaydara didn't design it to be one, but growth in breadth and depth of actual support over time effectively made it into one.

Because of the proprietary nature of SBAS creation/editing, I still believe USD could surpass it in that role long-term. Nonetheless, content creators, game developers, etc. are already clearly aware that using SBAS allows them consistent surfacing across their various apps and pipeline stages, and that's been a major influence in the format's rapid uptake and widespread support across various 3D-related industries.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-07-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Don't you mean SBSAR ?

"sbs files are Substance packages, meant to be opened and edited within Substance Designer. you can generate a sbsar (which is a compiled/portable version that you can use in other software like Substance Painter."

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Don't you mean SBSAR ?
    Yes, you're correct, I meant SBSAR -- SBAS is something completely different. Sorry!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    SBSAR is not free to add to your application, unlike FBX support. It isn't even inexpensive.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Sorry John, I was poking (a little too subtle) fun at the concept of something being a universal format when it's not quite popular enough to get the name/filetype right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    SBSAR is not free to add to your application, unlike FBX support. It isn't even inexpensive...
    For the end user (not a developer looking to incorporate SBSAR support), there's still the free Substance Player. That lets you tweak and bake out SBSAR materials to use in LW.

I'm looking at the Substance "integrations" page ( https://www.substance3d.com/ecosystem-plug-ins/ ) and seeing some of the listed apps do not really have any programmed function to integrate with Substance. However, Substance has prepared some workflow demonstrations. Perhaps they might be informed that LightWave exists.

The problem with Substance promoting a LightWave workflow right now is that LightWave is not fully welcoming to PBR materials. Without the automated PBR importer from the optional OD Toolset, you have to manually connect the images to LW nodes. There's no better time to request PBR image import automation as a native LW feature.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123