Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best external surfacing software for use with LW?

older quotes i found somewhere...

Dataday - September 2015
    Somehow I ended up with Mari, 3D Coat and Substance Painter... out of all them, 3D Coat is my favorite when it comes to painting.
    MightyPea - September 2015
    I also own all three of those, and prefer 3dcoat.
    For me, it's partially that I do a lot of handpainted stuff, which Substance Painter doesn't really do, but even for PBR I really, really like 3DCoat.
    Skumtron - September 2015
    For sure. I've done texture painting in ZBrush, Mudbox, Substance Painter and even the new Photoshop 3D workspace and prefer 3D Coat by a mile.
    janpec1000 - September 2015
    It isnt just good, it is by far best PBR painting software if you ask me and i tried pretty much all of them. Is it worth upgrading just to have PBR painting features? YES. I love UV/retopo tools of 3d coat, i think software was worth buying before just for that, but upgrading only for PBR is defensively worth it.
    Advantage of 3d coat PBR to Substance is performance, its much more stable, materials are loaded instantly while in substance large library can be pain to load each time, it has very robust layering setup-straightforward. I needed several long tutorials to get grip on Substance, while i needed nearly 0 with 3d coat, just jumped in and that was almost it.

Additionally Painter doesn't have anywhere near the great feedback that 3DC gives whilst painting in my opinion. And there are even small other things like that you can't hide individual parts /submeshes of an fbx/ obj whilst working with your model in Painter (or Designer)
    Michaelgdrs - March 2015
    I am using painter as well , and to be honest , i use it mostly for the dirt effects and particles , everything else can be done in 3dc as well.
    ...so based on 2015 comments, Substance certainly isn't a "must"
    3DCoat is fine, and even beyond in several cases.
    Last edited by erikals; 08-06-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I just upgraded my 3DCoat from 3.x to 4.x and it really seems to give the user good value for the price.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    ...3D-Coat is enough for my needs, even if Linux version is stuck at 4.8.20, which is a shame...
    Have you tried the more recently updated Windows version via Wine in Linux? That seems to be the way to go.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    older quotes i found somewhere...

...so based on 2015 comments, Substance certainly isn't a "must"
    3DCoat is fine, and even beyond in several cases.
    5 years ago ! Come on ! Lots of things change in 5 years. Even if I do agree that 3DC is quite fine for painting, especially on the latest versions.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Have you tried the more recently updated Windows version via Wine in Linux? That seems to be the way to go.
    No, I have paid 40 bucks to add a Linux licence on my previous Mac licence, I don't pay 40 more bucks to add a windows licence just because their coder doesn't care about linux although they advertise it. Linux version is supposed to get on par a the coming months. Wait and see. For now, I'm fine with 3DC 4.8 to paint my textures. It is more for sculpting and retopo that I would like an update to 4.9.

5 years ago ! Come on !
    ...and why did I write the year to make it so obvious ?

that's right.

I may be wrong, but you seemed to assume from these 5 years old comments that substance painter is not a must have in 2020. In 2015, it was not even the 1.6 version which gave a huge step ahead, not to mention the 2017 V2 which was a game changer, at least for me. I stopped updating after 2.6, so I don't know how it performs today. But I sure wouldn't choose my current softwares based on 5 years old comments.
    Or did I miss some second degree somewhere ?

Value for money, most definitely 3D Coat.
    Regular updates, massive amount of features, havn’t even scratched the surface (pun) with retopo or sculpting tools.
    UV tools are fantastic.
    My only niggle is trying to achieve the same look in LW with the export, but that is probably my dumbness.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

@ CaptainMarlowe

ok, i agree, i could have made it clearer.  [peace]

ArmorPaint, did look into it a few months back.

looks promising, they got lots of cash from Epic (Sony) just recently.
    Epic gave it $25k so others seem to believe in its promise as well.
    but honestly can't say much.

interesting video tho' >

guess i'll stick with 3DCoat. or perhaps even try [B]
    Last edited by erikals; 08-06-2020 at 02:31 PM.

adding >

(video announcing nodes in 3DCoat)
    Honestly, I'd rather first see proper, parametric Substance/SBAS support in 3DCoat. It's kind of a gaping hole, and seriously needed IMO. SBAS is closest to being de-facto "universal surfacing format" right now than anything else (incl. USD) in terms of breadth and depth of support across 3D pkgs, game engines, render engines, and so forth. Neither 3DCoat nor LW are doing themselves any market favors by eschewing SBAS/Substance support.

The problem with "3DCoat nodes" is they're inherently "3DCoat-ONLY". While that'd still be amazingly useful for certain types of procedural/parametric effects for displacement/sculpting, even UV work, ultimately the surfacing value is highly limited because you'd still need USD or SBAS or another "surfacing interchange" format to get the surfacing info into other packages (unless you do a strictly map-based exchange like how LW imports baked SBAS, losing all procedural/parametric value).

As is, they're just creating another "app-local" node-based surfacing system. Even if they have aspirations to try and garner external app support for their format, they're late to the party, and would wind up fighting an uphill battle against much-better-backed competitors like USD, SBAS, etc.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-06-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Neither 3DCoat nor LW are doing themselves any market favors by eschewing SBAS/Substance support.
    agree, 3D apps in general are certainly going the way of exchange formats / standardizations.

adding >

Its interesting to observe the juxtaposition of lw dev speed vs other apps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast