Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: missing an unknown step in workflow

missing an unknown step in workflow

I've been trying to create a custom poker table to import in Steam's Tabletop Simulator. Just a static 3D model with some textures applied. I have the table done and it looks fine, but here's the catch:

To import the model Steam needs it in .obj format (no problem), and there's a text box to check and turn on collisions (so chips and cards won't fall through), but it won't take the .mtl file that holds the textures. It says it needs "either a .jpg or .png UV mapped to the object. I can export the UV map as an .eps but can't find a way to create a UV mapped .png or .jpg.

I should mention that I've been using LW for years and never upgraded past v9.2. This is the first time I've used it to build an .obj though. Other Steam content creators are doing this successfully using the free Blender app. Hard to believe I can't do it with LW.

What am I missing here? Any help most appreciated, thanks.

Haven't done that specifically, bu I believe that as long as the texture jpg is in the same location as the object, it should use that image. Your object of course has to have a corresponding UV. You might have to bake the textures.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Haven't done that specifically, bu I believe that as long as the texture jpg is in the same location as the object, it should use that image. Your object of course has to have a corresponding UV. You might have to bake the textures.
    Thanks Ma3rk. I'll give that a try with a simple multicolored cube and see if it works. Back soon.

OK, sorry for the delay and dredging up what became so quickly an old thread.

So I created a basic cube in Modeler and UV mapped the png to the cube. Looks fine in LW. But when I pull it into TTS I get something that looks like it went through a malfunctioning transporter.

In TTS I was able to load the OBJ exported by LW, and the PNG I used for the UV map, to the Steam cloud. The object appears, but as you can see the UVs are obviously incorrectly mapped. I've gotta be missing something basic here ... a lot of makers are using custom objects in the Steam games, and they are WAY more complex than mine. Any help most appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	148521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW-cube.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	148522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTS-cube.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	148523  
    Attached Files Attached Files

This might be something better asked on one of the Steam Forums. I'm not familiar with their importer.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Yeah, well that's the thing. I don't know if it's a LW issue with my model, or a Steam issue with their importer. My understanding is the the OBJ file format is a fixed entity across all platforms, and I'd like to assume LW exports OBJs correctly. What I really need is someone familiar with both LW and Steam. I'll try posting on the Steam forum and see if anyone there has some ideas. Otherwise, I'm open to other suggestions.

I'll be back after I visit the Steam forum.

To make a board you only use an image?

Here :- https://kb.tabletopsimulator.com/cus.../custom-board/

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    To make a board you only use an image?

Here :- https://kb.tabletopsimulator.com/cus.../custom-board/
    That is correct XswampyX. Unfortunately, the table I want to create is circular, and the only custom table objects are square and rectangular. Do you know of any way around that besides building my own 3D model?

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I'm looking at your object, admittedly in LightWave 2020. I see you unwelded all your polys, but you also have 24 points off to the side of your cube? In 2020, it looks like you have an object UV map (one that is automatically associated with the object) that contains nothing, and one called NEW-CUBE-1 with the six polys of the cube. You can merge all the polys, and then kill that one point off to the side. Then, it should work. If not, here's an OBJ version of your cube. See if the map works in the game engine.

B
    PS. I know you don't necessarily want to pay for an upgrade to the latest LightWave, but is there a reason you aren't using the latest version of 9? v9.6.1 is a free upgrade for 9 and has several advantages: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...LightWave3D9.2
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Documentation
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.38, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimhenge View Post
    OK, sorry for the delay and dredging up what became so quickly an old thread.

So I created a basic cube in Modeler and UV mapped the png to the cube. Looks fine in LW. But when I pull it into TTS I get something that looks like it went through a malfunctioning transporter.

In TTS I was able to load the OBJ exported by LW, and the PNG I used for the UV map, to the Steam cloud. The object appears, but as you can see the UVs are obviously incorrectly mapped. I've gotta be missing something basic here ... a lot of makers are using custom objects in the Steam games, and they are WAY more complex than mine. Any help most appreciated, thanks.
    Detail > Unweld
    Detail > Merge Points
    try again in 3rd party game engine.

Thank you both BeeVee and Sensei. I'll try what you suggested and report back my results. Much appreciated. No idea how those extra points got there. I'll also do that upgrade. No idea how I missed that either.

Back as promised but with disappointing results. This is frustrating. I sense I'm missing something probably obvious to more experienced modelers.

I've upgraded to v9.6.1 as suggested. I rebuilt the model (basic cube) from scratch. No extraneous points floating around outside the cube (still no idea how those got into my first model). But something is still messing up my UV mapping as is obvious in the first two attachments. Better than my last attempt, but still broke. The cube looks fine in Modeler but when exported as an .obj file, and reopened in Modeler, the .png image (3rd attachment) isn't mapped properly. In 3rd party 3D viewers only flat gray surfaces show.

Also, I changed the image the UV maps to from 6 separate squares to 6 squares "joined" contiguously with the correct topology to match a cube, and carefully selected the axis for each. Not sure if that makes any difference, but saw it done in a tutorial on dice. Also not sure if the UVs have to be literally contiguous ... you can see in the 4th and 5th attachments that they are close but not exact.

I unwelded the object before UV mapping and merged it before exporting. What am I missing here?! LWO also attached. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modeler.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	148581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	object.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	148582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-2.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	148583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UV-map.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	148584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	148585  

TrueArt Support
    I exported your object as .obj in LW 2020.0.2,
    and imported it as .obj,
    and it looks fine.

I attached it here.

Attach your .obj and .mtl file. You can load them to text editor and compare line by line what is difference.

No problem here either:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kube-B.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	148588

I'd suspect some sort of OpenGL or vid driver issue. See how it actually renders in Layout.

But as has been mentioned, coming into the 21st Century with your software might not hurt either. Could resolve a number of very hidden & disguised issues on the export end.

Like cats, software can often be finicky & definitely won't tell you what it wants directly.
    Last edited by Ma3rk; 08-30-2020 at 08:23 PM.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    But as has been mentioned, coming into the 21st Century with your software might not hurt either.
    There is one good reason why somebody does not upgrade to newer software: is unable to, if he/she has 32 bit hardware or 32 bit OS.. Weak gfx card.. too few memory.. too slow CPU.. or like Fprime etc. etc.

The last 32 bit LightWave is 2015.3.
    It's much better than LW 9.6.

ps. But he has 64 bit LW 9.6 which we can read on screen-shots.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-31-2020 at 01:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast