Thread: How to use Weight Map to Sharpen corners

How to use Weight Map to Sharpen corners

I need help on how to use weight map to sharpen the corners.
    I'm following a tutorial and in one of the steps, the instructor used the Weight Map tool to sharpen the corners. The attachment shows the result before and after applying weight map. I've tried everything and cannot get any effect at all. I'm a beginner and much appreciates for any advice.

I have LW 2018

Regards
    Hung

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight Map.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	148402

Actually, it looks as if it did something going by the circular to hexagon shape.

Are you in Weight Shade mode with the viewport? Open your Vertex Map panel as well and select your wt. in order for it to show up. You can select up to 8 at a time for different colors to get displayed.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

TrueArt Support

Pick SubPatch Weight, enable Weight Shade mode and edit weight map.
    "SubPatch Weight" is responsible for controlling traditional SubPatches.

In Catmull-Clark Sub-Patches you also have special weight map, but you control it with Inc CC Sharpness, Dec CC Sharpness and Set CC Sharpness tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SubPatch Weight.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	148403  

thank you so much Sensei and Ma3rk for your responses. Sensei your picture is worth a thousand words. Now I can move on with my tut

Regards

I wouldn't recommend using weights for geometry sharpening. Use edge loops instead. Not all software supports edge weighting and even in LW, subpatch weighting can give you rendering artifacts. See the attached example of loops to create what you desire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoWeights.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	148407

Thanks, Tim. I need to experiment with that. Again there are so much to pick up and to learn

TrueArt Support
    With my plugin Swift Edge Loop, sharpening edges/edge loops for Sub-Patches looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Y9TzSf1cE

Just single RMB on the edge and you have edge loop.
    Just single LMB on the edge loop and you can slide it with mouse move (control percentage or distance in GUI).

My recommendation would be to always first use edge loops for geometry sharpening (like suggested above)... however, if you find that you need to make those edge loops almost overlap or have them unreasonably dense in order to get the sharpness you want, you're going to want to supplement that with edge weighting. You do not want loops near-overlapping because it will destroy the quality of your textures if you use a UV map.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave