Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Over Man visual FX created in Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Lovely stuff! I've never even heard of the film, but maybe now I'll watch it only to say "I know the guys that did that in LightWave"

B
    It was the same with Green Book, I'd never heard of the film so watched it so I could "see" the special effects... turns out the film is absolutely amazing, and you don't get to see the FX because they're invisible
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Assuming David Ridlen has the time and passion for it, and assuming someone from Newtek has the same, then...

There is probably more material to disect, which may require a longer interview with David, where Lightwave may have been used a lot or for a special reason.
    My movie watching isnīt the best these days..so I havenīt seen a single one of these listed here(except for looper..but that one I just watched small parts of) conjuring is airing today 2 hours from now, but I do not think I have the time to watch it.
    I have to watch a history series of the 30Thirty Years' War (23 May 1618 – 15 May 1648) and a sci-fi documentary series by James Cameron (Masters of science fiction )
    So that alone will exceed my scheculed tv time for a day by a lot)

So if anyone else has seen these movies and been taking notes of some effects, please share..but then again, it may be hard to spot the effects when the wizard is performing the magic in his typicle invisible way.
    List below from IMDB..(not all of Davids work) and the most recognized is probably older and not listed since I only copied the last nine years, I am glad to see him succed and he is still going strong.

2019/II Ambition (visual effects artist)
    2019 Rim of the World (visual effects artist)
    2019 Patsy & Loretta (TV Movie) (visual effects artist)
    2018 Green Book (visual effects artist)
    2018 Game Over, Man! (visual effects artist)
    2017 The Truth Matters (visual effects artist)
    2017 The Glass Castle (artist: 3D)
    2017/I The Shack (artist: 3D)
    2017 Wind River (3d artist: Pixel Magic) / (visual effects artist - uncredited)
    2016 The President: Lyndon B. Johnson (visual effects artist)
    2016 Cold Moon (visual effects artist)
    2016 The Young Messiah (artist: 3D)
    2014 The Devil's Hand (visual effects artist)
    2013 Insidious: Chapter 2 (cg artist)
    2013 The Conjuring (visual effects artist - uncredited)
    2012 Shmagreggie Saves the World (TV Movie) (animation and visual effects)
    2012 Looper (3D artist: Pixel Magic)
    2012/I A Thousand Words (CG supervisor: Pixel Magic)
    2011 Niceville (visual effects artist - uncredited)

I remember seeing a breakdown for Looper I think, and David's work on that doing some screen replacement type work. All seamless tracks and nice CG.
    Also, Wind River... which is another awesome movie.

David does tend to do work on some brilliant movies (not that an artist has the choice in these things, but it just happens that they are great movies I guess.)
    I have watched Rim of the World too, and although some of the effects work was nice it felt much lower budget (and I'm sure it was.)

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

shame none of this gets promoted as lw work. If only LW had a marketing dept :P
    ====================================
    Threadripper 3970X / 3 x RTX 2080ti / Windows 10 x64 / 256 Gb Ram / LW2020 / LW 2015 / Modo 14 / Maya 2020 / Max 2021

Years ago I had worked on a film (The Road), which had some 3D shots in it done with LW. At the time, Newtek was sending out emails on a regular basis which included a small blurb and some stills I sent about the film. But, yes, I don't feel like they bother with much publicity about LW anymore. Not sure why.

Great work and thanks so much for sharing. Very inspirational!

I hope to put a demo together soon of where I used Lightwave on various shows in recent years, including The Secret, Ambition, Patsy & Loretta, Glass Castle, The Shack, Cold Moon, Shmagreggie. The only CG in Young Messiah I did was a couple of snake shots that are in my 2017 reel (titles listed in the description). The only CG shot in Devil's Hand is the first shot in my demo. Shmagreggie was a pilot that was never released, but the most interesting shots are in my reel. Shots I did for Insiduous 2 were cut out.

I am currently doing breakdowns for some VFX shots I did for Raised by Wolves, an upcoming sci-fi series produced by Ridley Scott. Some shots of a CG creature turned out well. And I recently did another close up of a CG creature for a low budget movie that I think will show off Lightwave.

I would not recommend seeing most of the shows I have worked on. I would say that only Wind River and Green Book were relevant. Raised by Wolves may turn out interesting. The most extensive use of Lightwave for a feature was on Sin City, which won the Palm d'Or, but Newtek seemed to ignore it (not a peep at their Siggraph booth that year). May have been an ethical conflict, since they sold Tricaster stuff to churches.

The focus of Newtek's marketing and development has traditionally been head-scratchingly hazy. I have been using Lightwave professionally since 1996, but Newtek has never been interested in any project I worked on (except Green Book because of Oscars), or the places I worked at, or in using any of the work for their demos. LW meandered away from the demands of production for many years, and communication with them was always frustrating in the past. Then, production artists, Powers and Grandi steered dev back on track with v10. But they silently departed, followed by a buyout, and dev appears to have returned to meandering off track.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 08-02-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Hey, hey ,hey!

Don't for get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Iu9JYD0q4

Came across this researching for my squirrel as it uses the same model. Sadly, Sasquatch has slunk back into the forest, so this is using LAMH Fur Exported from Daz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refurred Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	148438
    Last edited by Ma3rk; 08-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    shame none of this gets promoted as lw work. If only LW had a marketing dept :P
    I did an interview with David for Green Book as soon as I knew it had happened (https://blog.lightwave3d.com/?p=1786). Unfortunately, the first I hear about such things is in here on the forum since no-one wants to break the cast-iron NDAs they have with the studios (despite me having worked on magazines for twenty years, and used to dealing with press dates for sensitive material before I came to NT).

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Not sure everyone knows you were editor of 3d World either Ben... and a load of cool Amiga mags back in the day!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Not sure everyone knows you were editor of 3d World either Ben... and a load of cool Amiga mags back in the day!
    And that's really massive shame, because Ben was very influential to a whole generation of 3D and Amiga users. I myself owe him a great debt because he allowed me to get started in the world of 3D with Imagine 3D via the Amiga Format coverdisk.

So thank you Ben from the bottom of my heart.

For those who want a bit more of an idea of who Ben is, here's an interview he did with Ravi Abbot and Dan Wood from the Retro Hour Podcast.

Ben Vost Retro Hour Podcast interview. Amiga Format magazine. The inside story

(sorry for the embarassing celebrity-ism Ben)

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    And that's really massive shame, because Ben was very influential to a whole generation of 3D and Amiga users. I myself owe him a great debt because he allowed me to get started in the world of 3D with Imagine 3D via the Amiga Format coverdisk.

So thank you Ben from the bottom of my heart.

For those who want a bit more of an idea of who Ben is, here's an interview he did with Ravi Abbot and Dan Wood from the Retro Hour Podcast.

Ben Vost Retro Hour Podcast interview. Amiga Format magazine. The inside story

(sorry for the embarassing celebrity-ism Ben)
    I personally think 3d World was better back then, when Ben and then Jim Thacker worked on it.

Hehe, no way... thanks for posting that podcast, I'll listen to that today while I work.

Let's have a celebrate Ben day The messiah!

EDIT:

That podcast is BRILLIANT! Newtek should do a LightWave one, talking to all the old Bab 5 pros and stuff. Would love to hear a podcast interviewing Kevin Q and Chris Zapara and all those cool guys
    Last edited by lardbros; 08-05-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Thpppt!

B
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I personally think 3d World was better back then, when Ben and then Jim Thacker worked on it.
    Now you made me dust off some old magazines I have sitting on a shelf up in my back bedroom. A certain Ben Vost was Deputy Editor of the very first issue of 3D World. It included a three page review of Lightwave 6 that gave it 4.5 stars too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D World Issue 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	148448

I'm not a hoarder....honest
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Yup, I was deputy editor to Garrick Webster for the first few issues until he moved on to Computer Arts and left me captaining the ship

B
    PS. I have all the issues I worked on on a shelf too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast