Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Game Over Man visual FX created in Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Yup, I was deputy editor to Garrick Webster for the first few issues until he moved on to Computer Arts and left me captaining the ship

B
    PS. I have all the issues I worked on on a shelf too
    Many moons ago, in my very first 'proper' job, I was technical sub-editor for The International Journal of Project Management published by Butterworth's Scientific down in Guildford. That was back in the days before word processor's though. Everything was done on a manual typewriter and paste-ups involved a pot of Evo-stick. Those were the days
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I worked on the school newsletter - that specific smell of a duplicator! My first dtp work was on a zine for the Amiga, in PageStream (Pro Page was more stable, PageStream more fun).

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Documentation
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.38, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    EDIT:

That podcast is BRILLIANT!
    I KNOW, RIGHT?!

Those boys really uncover the behind the scene stories of all those retro tech companies we grew up on in the 80s and 90s, from the people who were there.

And they do it EVERY WEEK!

You wouldn't believe the things they were getting up to back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Newtek should do a LightWave one, talking to all the old Bab 5 pros and stuff. Would love to hear a podcast interviewing Kevin Q and Chris Zapara and all those cool guys
    Over to you Ben.

Too cool.
    Congrats Mr Rid.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Thanks so much for pointing me towards Ben's interview BTW... I'm addicted to those podcasts now They're awesome. Been listening to all my retro heroes, it's great!

I used to have every issue of 3d World... apart from issue 4, i think I lent it to someone and never got it back... but recently recycled them ALL It was difficult, but they took up SO much space.
    I may have kept a few issues, and could have probably sold them on ebay, but it's a huge ball-ache.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    My copies of 3D World until I left Future Publishing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_130504415.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	998.1 KB 
ID:	148478

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Documentation
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.38, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Blog Entries
    totally AWESOME dude
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING Rev 1.xx
    1 x Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core - 3690 MHz (32 cores, 64 threads) Fractal S36 AIO
    131072 MB DDR4 DIMM 2133 MHz (8 of 8 slots)

Yes, this kind of stuff needs to recognized somewhere and in some way by NT. Better late than never.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/films/sin-city
    Last edited by gdkeast; 09-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Yes, this kind of stuff needs to recognized somewhere and in some way by NT.
    If it hasn't happened by now...
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Yes, this kind of stuff needs to recognized somewhere and in some way by NT. Better late than never.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/films/sin-city
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

This is truly awesome and I love it! Of the thousands of films I've seen, this is one of the top ten that stick with me visually. It blew my mind when I first saw it and still does to this day.
    Last edited by gdkeast; 09-23-2020 at 09:41 PM.

awesome

Itīs fake

Almost all, and Benicio Del Toro isnīt even smoking for real when taking a p..in the loo, I am guessing that is a simple particle effect David did as well..of course.

I really liked the style as well, highly contrasted black, and when there was in need of blood, it could be white, yellow..very strong contrasted against the black and white, or to highlight Alexis Bledels already blue eyes.

And Rutger Hauerīs character is getting his head squashed by the hands of Mickeyīs character, guess what goes around comes around and rutger was quite nasty doing that in blade runner, so maybe an action cameo tribute or something.

Donīt know how many shots David did, but it all turned out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... and Benicio Del Toro isnīt even smoking for real when taking a p..in the loo, I am guessing that is a simple particle effect David did as well..
    Del Toro's cigarette smoke was an odd situation. For some reason, those were the only two shots where his cig was not lit on set. The FX supervisors brought up in a meeting, 'how are we going to do that?' I used an ancient Fusion plugin that did surprisingly convincing, small scale, fast, 2D smoke, with a little processing help. I was surprised none of the many advanced fusion artists on that show were not aware of it.

Name:	Fusion_smoke.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	148764

It is one of several very useful plugins (5D Monster, and Tinderbox) that I REALLY wish I could still use! Those plugs only work in Fusion 4, and Fusion 4 only runs in XP. XP Mode in Win 7 does not fool F4 into working. The Glass tool was particularly great for smoothing out voxel puffball tendency, and other FX. I have not quite figured out how to fake it.

After communicating with Eyeon support about getting Fusion 4 to work in later versions of Windows, they were not willing to bother.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 09-25-2020 at 01:18 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    Del Toro's cigarette smoke was an odd situation. For some reason, those were the only two shots where his cig was not lit on set. The FX supervisors brought up in a meeting, 'how are we going to do that?' I used an ancient Fusion plugin that did surprisingly convincing, small scale, fast, 2D smoke, with a little processing help. I was surprised none of the many advanced fusion artists on that show were not aware of it.

Name:	Fusion_smoke.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	148764

It is one of several very useful plugins (5D Monster, and Tinderbox) that I REALLY wish I could still use! Those plugs only work in Fusion 4, and Fusion 4 only runs in XP. XP Mode in Win 7 does not fool F4 into working. The Glass tool was particularly great for smoothing out voxel puffball tendency, and other FX. I have not quite figured out how to fake it.

After communicating with Eyeon support about getting Fusion 4 to work in later versions of Windows, they were not willing to bother.
    Yeah the ol cig smoke challenge, still with fluids itīs tricky, hard to direct and often too soft fluid shading.
    Particles easier to direct, but you need to blur smooth, or load multiple pfx with slight offset, or render multiple passes with particle blur offset.

Krita has a few awsome filters for smoothing out particle smoke..while maintaining sharpness where particles are denser, but no batch processing, fusion filters in later versions not so good.

the big curl ala donut style will break particles too much, and small curl convections would be nice in the beginning of smoke.

old particle sample

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast