Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 33 of 33

Thread: FX Emitter/Collision issues

  1. #31
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    ...So anyway how would i do this, i know about the batch file but to get it to run on startup of LW.
    Copy the following code to a file named something like "firewall-fix.bat" and save it to the LightWave installation or wherever it makes sense. You can run it on demand by right-clicking on it in Explorer and choosing "Run as administrator". There are a couple good ways to automate this...
    1) Set up a Windows Scheduled Task to run it every couple of weeks.
    2) Create a shortcut for this BAT file and save it in the "Startup" items of your Windows Start menu. This will run the firewall configuration reset at each boot.

    Be sure to configure either the scheduled task or the shortcut to run as admin.

    Code:
    echo off
    Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave2020.0.2\bin\configure.exe" "unset"
    timeout /t 3 /nobreak > NUL
    Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave2020.0.2\bin\configure.exe" "set"

    It is possible to append an extra line to start up Layout.exe as well. However this is not advised because this BAT file will run with elevated privileges that should not be inherited by Layout/Modeler.

    Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    What I have noticed is that some people 'like' to 'guess' what the problem is. I don't understand why people want to do that!! Operating systems are pretty precise programs. Especially things like firewalls... OS's don't mess with that and if they do, the community would be outraged in a manner that would even shake big companies like MS or Apple. No, it's more to do with certain programs that don't have there act together...
    I'm not discounting possible improvement from LW. However, there are many actors involved in configuring the system firewall. You can certainly find people outraged about how a system update has affected their firewall rules.

    Unfortunately, guessing is all one can do without more data. The firewall check/repair suggestions from NT are based on the common issues reported to them. There could be other reasons for hub problems. If a technician suggests slapping the side of the computer to get it to stop erring, and several customers report success with that technique, the technician is going to keep recommending that solution.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 07-30-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm not discounting possible improvement from LW. However, there are many actors involved in configuring the system firewall. You can certainly find people outraged about how a system update has affected their firewall rules.
    There are possible scenarios where certain changes/updates acted upon custom made rules but I doubt that the custom made rules were changed because of those changes/updates. But all that is irrelevant when you actually understand what a certain program does. In this case LW. The FW rules just allows everything on 5 programs: Hub, Layout, Modeler, feedback agent and NRC. Why implement 'workarounds' that are not even valid for the problem to go away?

    I like the more scientific approach... first understand what things are doing, than analyse the problem, then think about a proper solution (=tested and verified) and implement it.

    I have seen network administrators reboot servers at nighttime just out of 'preventative measures'.... personally I find that quite unprofessional in 99% of the cases.

    Let me make myself clear here... if you want to implement those kind of 'fixes' be my guest. All I'm saying is that transparency into what a program does makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier. The opposite makes for solutions like above.

  3. #33
    Super Member JohnMarchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Murcia, Spain
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    What I have noticed is that some people 'like' to 'guess' what the problem is. I don't understand why people want to do that!! Operating systems are pretty precise programs. Especially things like firewalls... OS's don't mess with that and if they do, the community would be outraged in a manner that would even shake big companies like MS or Apple. No, it's more to do with certain programs that don't have there act together.

    I'm using LW since a long time and yes, LW2018 was totally crap with the 'comms' between Layout and Modeler. LW2020 is a bit better but still I have quite a bit of random crashes going from 1 app to another. The ONLY solution we get is the Config.exe unset and set command which probably only 'sets' the FW rules which are quite simple: Allow all from ANY IP on ANY Protocol on only the Hub, Layout, Modeler and NRC..... as far as I can see (looked it up myself).

    It would be great if those things are actually documented somewhere..... maybe I miss something? Anyway, it should not be a secret. Other than that, it just doesn't work smoothly and that's a damn shame!

    For most of my time working with LW I liked the fact that Modeler is separate from Layout but my recent dealings with the utterly crap implementation of LW2018's Modeler <--> Layout comms made me think twice. After upgrading to LW2020 it is a bit better but still not flawless. I just do not get that!!!!! I reckon it is due to the fact that modeler and Layout or 2 TOTALLY different programs. They probably only share common data like vertices coordiantes and shader/nodes data that has to be converted because both programs use their own implementation of each.

    The fact that VPR cannot be integrated with modeler speaks words of that. I'm not a programmer (so call me a fool for saying this) but shouldn't it be not too complicated to integrate that when programming in an object-oriented programming language?

    Anyway, there are lots of little things I can complain about (like the obj export NEEDS an extension otherwise it won't save!?!?) that should be solved first before moving on 'new' features. Don't get me wrong, I like LW and I think the renderer is awesome, but I also think that addressing a number of (seemingly) small things would make this software soooooooo much better!!

    In the end it is probably a money issue but, to stick with my initial point, openness of things go a long way; proper documentation of what your software is actually doing including proper LWSDK docs.

    Another thread that goes into the archives of what we all wish for I guess.....

    P.S. correct me on any points that I have wrong. I don't know all either although I do effort into finding out....
    Which is the reason why i want NT to concentrate on bugs, fixing what is already there, not asking for new tools or such, just fix what is already there, especially in modeler.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Copy the following code to a file named something like "firewall-fix.bat" and save it to the LightWave installation or wherever it makes sense. You can run it on demand by right-clicking on it in Explorer and choosing "Run as administrator". There are a couple good ways to automate this...
    1) Set up a Windows Scheduled Task to run it every couple of weeks.
    2) Create a shortcut for this BAT file and save it in the "Startup" items of your Windows Start menu. This will run the firewall configuration reset at each boot.

    Be sure to configure either the scheduled task or the shortcut to run as admin.

    Code:
    echo off
    Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave2020.0.2\bin\configure.exe" "unset"
    timeout /t 3 /nobreak > NUL
    Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave2020.0.2\bin\configure.exe" "set"

    It is possible to append an extra line to start up Layout.exe as well. However this is not advised because this BAT file will run with elevated privileges that should not be inherited by Layout/Modeler.



    I'm not discounting possible improvement from LW. However, there are many actors involved in configuring the system firewall. You can certainly find people outraged about how a system update has affected their firewall rules.

    Unfortunately, guessing is all one can do without more data. The firewall check/repair suggestions from NT are based on the common issues reported to them. There could be other reasons for hub problems. If a technician suggests slapping the side of the computer to get it to stop erring, and several customers report success with that technique, the technician is going to keep recommending that solution.
    You Sir are a star.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

    LightWave 2020

    Very nice Laptop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •