Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elven Scout

Hmm...I may be wrong, did a quick test..and it was the opposite.
    Weird..previously I thought I saw a process of freezing taking long time, or maybe that.
    Edit..not the opposite, but the same..I forgot to set render subpatch level the same as the display level.

it may depend on if you have procedurals applied as well when deforming, but for the case of jet, it was just a model subpatch with no procedural deformation to account for in the stage of freezing the mesh in layout before it starts to render..so not the same case study perhaps.

Inspiring Work... Thanks for sharing!
    3D Artist http://www.mike3d.com
    Fine Art Portfolio http://www.macb.ca

Did you model the character mesh as well in that short amount of time? Or used a pre-built character?

Just curious, because if you did the character from scratch as well in that relatively short amount of time, my hat off to you.
    Last edited by Rayek; 07-23-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Really love these... the painted backdrop works very well, seems to make the elf-like guy more ethereal. Great stuff and would love to know more about your techniques for modelling.

Do you box model, or use patches, or sub-division surfaces? Wondered what method you choose when you model something like this.

Brilliant though, and thanks for sharing!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

So cool!!!
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... since this is static rendering..there is no need to animate it either.
    But it could be as you say..he also provide it as freezed models for print etc, ...
    I would love to see it animated. That's what LW would sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Thanks, I'm curious, is there a particular reason that you freeze the nurbs/subpatch surfaces? Is it because you would normally hand off a finished model as polygons so it keep the mesh accurate when brought into other 3d programs? If I'm keeping things in Lightwave for rendering in Layout I always keep the nurbs/subpatch in modeler to allow for a lighter model that's easier edit later if needed and let Layout do the tessellation to polygons.
    Hi Nicolas,

All of my models go to manufacture and in turn, having a low poly model is never our focus. I freeze the parts to ensure that the 3D printed part / casting or cnc does not have any faceting.
    I have made the mistake of giving out a nurb model before and getting back a very expensive chiseled piece....lol

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Really love these... the painted backdrop works very well, seems to make the elf-like guy more ethereal. Great stuff and would love to know more about your techniques for modelling.

Do you box model, or use patches, or sub-division surfaces? Wondered what method you choose when you model something like this.

Brilliant though, and thanks for sharing!
    Hi there!

I start with a box or sphere and tab to a subD. Same process as you do. Every prop or creature I make starts with a box or a sphere.... I know it sounds boring... I don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet3D View Post
    Hi there!

I start with a box or sphere and tab to a subD. Same process as you do. Every prop or creature I make starts with a box or a sphere.... I know it sounds boring... I don't know any better.
    Might you be familiar with Taron then? I've not heard or seen anything heard about him for some years, but was always amazed at his work.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    I would love to see it animated. That's what LW would sell.
    I donīt think you will see that, I could be wrong and I can of course not speak for Jet, but I am guessing he isnīt modeling with animation in mind, thus the character is probably not optimized in polyflow for such thing, and the question
    is how it would look like in lower sublevels in topoflow.
    The final wire of the character I suspect is quite dense.
    That does in no way take away from Jet the awesomeness in it, but I would suspect if it was a model to animate something with, it would need retopo.

I wonder what approach is used for posing, if it was modeled directly to pose, or a t-pose kind of approach and posed with bones?

The work is anyway..now that we know it, very impressive for modeling of the character, I especially like the props & clothing anyway, and the lighting isnīt that bad either(as in, it is really good)
    Perhaps the only thing I would like to see a bit more of, that would be subsurface scattering in the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Might you be familiar with Taron then? I've not heard or seen anything heard about him for some years, but was always amazed at his work.
    As I recall, Taron started with box modeling methods as well, then using very few tools to inset, smooth shift etc to form his figures, then he went on to zbrush, then he went on to make a great fluid painting software, then he does music, then
    some issues with the law(rumours, donīt know about it) Status today..do not know.

The principles may be the same as for starting with a character, Taron however had almost perfected the methods to use few tools, making sure they worked relaxed in a fluent workflow properly assigned to shortcuts, but it was done effectively and also respecting a good topoflow while doing it, once that is done, you can alwasy ctl-d to freeze it for print or just for finer detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Hard to track, but I think he posted 2 months ago on artstation that he is now refining his online painting tool (vervette) which may be a continued development from his free downloadable verve fluid painter.
    https://taron.artstation.com/resume
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oy1nE6

Sorry jet for interfering a bit with your artwork postings here, but it was just brought up what he does today etc, it will end here and further talks of that I should post in a seperate thread.

Hi there!

Cool, thanks for the info. Box modelling can be tough going, unless you're doing it a lot of course. Benefits are that you usually end up with a clean mesh and no holes which is perfect for 3d printing.

Sorry, another question.

Have you ever printed anything on a J750 full colour 3d printer?
    I've done a few for this machine, as it takes 3d models that have been UV mapped (either obj or wrl files), and they look awesome...

They now have the potential in the J750 software to do voxel printing. Which inputs each slice of your mesh as a pixelated bmp and each pixel describes either a colour or transparency of print material.
    I haven't looked into getting something like this out of LightWave, but it would be AWESOME if a smart coder type person could get that kind of data out of LW.
    Currently only Houdini is really being used for this type of thing... But I'm certain LightWave is more than capable.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi there!

I'm a boxer too.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12