Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Elven Scout

  1. #1

    Elven Scout

    It all started last weekend with an Elven type helmet play session.
    My friends suggested that I make the whole character.

    I made this over the last week. Inspired by many ideas and LOTR. Typical fantasy elf......

    Thought I would share.

    Modelled with LW 2020.

    Regards, Jet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Scout_02_Sml.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	148354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Scout_03_Sml.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	148355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Scout_04_Sml.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	148356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Scout_05_Sml.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	148353  

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    600
    Beautiful work! I really like the texture on the green cloth and the detail work on the metal pieces. Just a really gorgeous piece.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    there is no sanctuary....
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI USA
    Posts
    546
    These forums need an amazed button, wonderful!
    Bill Carey

    3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

  6. #6
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    529
    Really, really beautiful!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    448
    Great design! Lots of meaningful details, and little superfluous nonsense. The way it should be.

  8. #8
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet3D View Post
    It all started last weekend with an Elven type helmet play session.
    My friends suggested that I make the whole character.

    I made this over the last week. Inspired by many ideas and LOTR. Typical fantasy elf......

    Thought I would share.

    Modelled with LW 2020.

    Regards, Jet
    Wow.

    Was this entirely from scratch with LW? Were some assets from prior work is what I'm wondering? If completely from scratch, I want to know where you get your coffee or tea as the case may be.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

    The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

  9. #9
    Very nice work! I really like the painterly backdrops. They give an interesting contrast for depth. It would be nice to see the wires for this as well.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  10. #10
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    7,099
    Excellent.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Very nice work! I really like the painterly backdrops. They give an interesting contrast for depth. It would be nice to see the wires for this as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES_Part Mesh02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	576.2 KB 
ID:	148373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES_Part Mesh.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	148374

    Hi guys,

    Sorry, but as you can see, I have frozen the nurbs resulting in a heavy wire.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet3D View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES_Part Mesh02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	576.2 KB 
ID:	148373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES_Part Mesh.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	148374

    Hi guys,

    Sorry, but as you can see, I have frozen the nurbs resulting in a heavy wire.
    Thanks, I'm curious, is there a particular reason that you freeze the nurbs/subpatch surfaces? Is it because you would normally hand off a finished model as polygons so it keep the mesh accurate when brought into other 3d programs? If I'm keeping things in Lightwave for rendering in Layout I always keep the nurbs/subpatch in modeler to allow for a lighter model that's easier edit later if needed and let Layout do the tessellation to polygons.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  13. #13
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Thanks, I'm curious, is there a particular reason that you freeze the nurbs/subpatch surfaces? Is it because you would normally hand off a finished model as polygons so it keep the mesh accurate when brought into other 3d programs? If I'm keeping things in Lightwave for rendering in Layout I always keep the nurbs/subpatch in modeler to allow for a lighter model that's easier edit later if needed and let Layout do the tessellation to polygons.
    Isnīt freezing better for faster rendering than having to deal with the freezing that must take place before rendering in layout anyway?? since this is static rendering..there is no need to animate it either.
    But it could be as you say..he also provide it as freezed models for print etc, but then again he could keep a version non freezed...Unless there was a specific need to have it freezed for the actual modeling process.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Isnīt freezing better for faster rendering than having to deal with the freezing that must take place before rendering in layout anyway?? since this is static rendering..there is no need to animate it either.
    But it could be as you say..he also provide it as freezed models for print etc, but then again he could keep a version non freezed...Unless there was a specific need to have it freezed for the actual modeling process.
    I don't think it would make any difference with rendering speed either way since it's essentially the same thing for the render engine. Using Lightwave since version 6 I have never had a reason to freeze models in modeler unless I needed an accurate model in another 3d program or render engine. I'm guessing there was a time before Lightwave 6 when users would have to manually freeze models in Modeler before loading them into Layout?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  15. #15
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I don't think it would make any difference with rendering speed either way since it's essentially the same thing for the render engine. Using Lightwave since version 6 I have never had a reason to freeze models in modeler unless I needed an accurate model in another 3d program or render engine. I'm guessing there was a time before Lightwave 6 when users would have to manually freeze models in Modeler before loading them into Layout?
    You do now that layout has to freeze any subpatch before rendering? and the heavier the subpatch level there is, the longer it takes.
    Now ...an already freezed model in layout doesnīt have to freeze again in layout, thus it should be faster to render.
    Try with 500 000 landscape that is subpatched to that level in layout, vs a freezed one in that level.

    All this may be only be tech trivia though, and not the actual reason for Jetīs approach of it.
    I would rather guess that he might have used intricate detailing, booleans and such ..which makes it much harder to work with subpatched non freezed nurbs like surfaces.

    All that aside, great work from Jet, and I also like the background painterly look with the cleaner foreground model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •