Thread: LW 2019 & 2020 Auto image update is very nice to have!

LW 2019 & 2020 Auto image update is very nice to have!

I recently upgraded my 3D Coat license to integrate it as part of my pipeline with Lightwave. The auto update feature that was added in LW 2019 is seemingly a small feature but can come in very handy. After setting all my maps up in Lightwave I can go back into 3D coat and keep painting and making changes and bake out all maps overwriting the existing ones. I jump back into Lightwave and all my maps are reloaded and updated for me!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I'd kinda like to see your workflow between the two programs Nicolas.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I recently upgraded my 3D Coat license to integrate it as part of my pipeline with Lightwave. The auto update feature that was added in LW 2019 is seemingly a small feature but can come in very handy. After setting all my maps up in Lightwave I can go back into 3D coat and keep painting and making changes and bake out all maps overwriting the existing ones. I jump back into Lightwave and all my maps are reloaded and updated for me!
    I find that the FBX import doesn't retain the materials and I'm having to export from LW to LW2015 to bring into 3DC. It's a bit of a pain managing folders to and from LW to 3DC with multiple formats and file versions. I end up making "snapshots" of milestone objects as FBX to bring into Unity and tend to deal with that and keep a 3dc .3b file around with texturing layers too.

Occasionally i get stuck with an issue where I have to rebake the textures and keep the layers and then end up noticing seams or needed to tweak a few points or add a touch of geometry after all UVing and Texturing is done and then I get all convoluted with my back and forth files. Would love to hear some detailed workflow issues with LW <-> 3DC <-> Unity and how others do it.

Seems like most people here with LW are still just rendering but I never do that anymore and Unity is my output so other workflows here don't generally apply if you don't end up in a game engine....

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    ..you could have it since 2012..
    http://autoupdateimages.trueart.eu

Actually you still can have it..

Auto Update Images does *not* require you to jump to LW (i.e. switch active app in Windows) to see result of update of image..
    You can paint in 3rd party app, ctrl-s have hot-keyed under 3rd mouse button or so, and once you press it, there is update of VPR (on 2nd monitor in dual monitor setup)..
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-20-2020 at 04:02 AM.

I got 3D Coat years ago to play around with a bit but just decided to upgrade it recently, spend time to learn it all properly and use it in production. Still a few things to iron out and figure out but maybe when I get everything working smoothly I could put together a video of best practices or something. It would be nice if 3D Coat supported LWO3 format. I also plan to look at using the applink in OD Tools 2019. Nice to know about that auto update image plugin as another option.

No hurry. One of those apps I've had for years but like so many other things, just got pulled away. I'm sure they'll support it at some point.

On a similar note, I've PolyTrans & happened to ask Robt. L about supporting LWO3, & basically he said there was no need to in regards to translation anyway. I'm sure he fully 'spained why, but my eyes just rolled up to the top of their sockets a few paragraphs in. Robert is a hoot to say the least.

I never got around to really testing Oliver's Bridge either of course.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

@ Ma3rk, how is the licensing model for Polytrans (eg, is it node locked, or just as friendly as LW) ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    @ Ma3rk, how is the licensing model for Polytrans (eg, is it node locked, or just as friendly as LW) ?
    Oh, it's quite friendly. You essentially go through an interview process with Robt. before he'll will even sell it to you!

It just uses serial numbers so probably could be installed on a 2nd system.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Nicolas: I would also like your work flow and thus interested in your video.

thanks,

Felipe Soto
    Last edited by Felipe Soto; 07-21-2020 at 10:09 AM.

When I update images in Photoshop and re save, LW updates automatically, there is no secret sauce, no magic button to press, it just does it, meaning it has nothing to do with the 3D Coat bridge and everything to do with current LW I would imagine

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    When I update images in Photoshop and re save, LW updates automatically, there is no secret sauce, no magic button to press, it just does it, meaning it has nothing to do with the 3D Coat bridge and everything to do with current LW I would imagine
    Yes, it has everything to do with recent LW releases. Lightwave used to be supported well in the early days of 3D Coat but it seems the 3D Coat devs have done nothing since then to keep up with Lightwave or support it specifically.