Thread: LW 2020 on iMac Pro with AMD card....Constant Crashes

LW 2020 on iMac Pro with AMD card....Constant Crashes

Has anybody with a similar system gotten LW 2020 to run properly?

iMac Pro 2017 with AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB, running MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

LW 2019 runs just fine on this machine. System was wiped clean with OS and apps reinstalled manually about a month ago. Almost any scene I load in layout 2020 (whether my own or from the LW 2020 Content) crashes around half way through loading. I've tried various combinations of settings in Preferences/GL for Shading Method and Geometry Acceleration. Modeler seems to be fine but Layout is basically not working for me.

Tech support had me wipe the LW configs, rescan the plugins and refresh the menus but that didn't help. They suggested I roll back the drivers a version or two but there's really no way to that short of rolling back the entire OS. Then they said that they have no Macs with AMD cards in-house...which makes me wonder what systems they're testing releases on.

Any ideas? Thanks

TrueArt Support
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB is unpluggable?
    Then unplug it and plug something else..
    You will see if issues are related to gfx card or not..

You can also try VirtualBox or other Mac equivalent emulator of other computer. Which means you can also emulate older/different version of Mac, with different OS and different hardware.. Just to see if issues are present in it or not.

You could also try emulating PC with Windows..

What if you load object by object in Layout manually.. ?
    Then save such scene.
    Then load it back (eventually after restart) ?

If it crashes, the next time load one less object. And repeat.
    Issues usually are made by some trouble making object, trouble making resource, trouble making image (I/O image loader/saver issue), etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB is unpluggable?
    No, this card is built-in to the iMac. Maybe in theory I could use an external GPU via Thunderbolt 3 but then the question would be what GPU to try. I don't think there are any drivers for Nvidia cards for current versions of MacOS.

I could get a Windows license and dual boot but that breaks my workflow of doing post FX on one thing while LW is rendering another thing. And that would just be a short term fix because it looks like Windows won't run on ARM CPUs when Macs switch over in a year or so.

This is looking like one more reason to switch over to Modo, which I have a license for, but don't know my way so well. Or deal with the learning curve and expense of Cinema 4D. And neither of those export object and material IDs or Cryptomatte via layered EXR except via a 3rd party render engine.

TrueArt Support
    Why do you think issue is gfx related at all?

If LW 2019 worked fine..

Install LW 2019 again on this fresh new OS and try again..

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I see you already went through the normal channels to report your problem, which is great. There is actually a version of Windows for ARM (and has been since before 2018) so that won't be a problem going forward but LightWave might need recompilation in that case, all of which is no help for the current situation. When LightWave crashes does it bring up the Feedback Agent with a crash dump?

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Im using an iMac i9 with 48GB men and an Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB all running on Catalina 10.15.5.

2020 crashed a lot when I first got it, but since the last update, it hardy crashes at all now. Only time I have any issues is with really old scenes, old objects and presets.

Other than that, its great, and I now create everything new in 2020

Sounds like Catalina is the common factor here.
    I have 2020 on High Sierra running fine since release (with light use), with AMD GPU.
    Last edited by Markc; 07-09-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Im using LW 2020 on an iMac running High Sierra also. The first version of LW2020 was very crashy in Layout, but with the latest release, I don't believe it has crashed yet.

I have the same machine, iMacPro and Vega 64, but I'm running Mojave haven't had any more than the occasional crash. I do have a problem with numeric input boxes, see thread in the Mac section. I'm avoiding Catalina as I still use a lot of 32bit programs.

Erich